Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bally Sports May Lose TV Rights to MLB Next Week

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TC Talks

Re: Bally Sports May Lose TV Rights to MLB Next Week

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:28 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:59 am
Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

Local Broadcasts For 11 NHL Teams Will Remain On Bally Sports After Agreement

"The agreement provides stability for fans, networks and teams after Major League Baseball had to take over the broadcasts of San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks games last season after agreements could not be reached.

The NHL teams that are currently on Bally are: Anaheim, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Tampa Bay

Diamond also reached the same type of agreement with the NBA for the 15 teams under contract to the RSNs last month."

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/articl ... agreement/
Washington Capitals / Wizards / Mystics ownership (Monument) runs the local broadcasts. It works quite well for them, and they have streaming packages without Blackout areas.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:04 pm

Sports teams need to leave cable. It's time. Amazon would be perfect. Boomers with cable can watch reruns of Blue Bloods and NCIS all day.

RedfordRob

Post by RedfordRob » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:31 pm

tivoking wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:04 pm
Sports teams need to leave cable. It's time. Amazon would be perfect. Boomers with cable can watch reruns of Blue Bloods and NCIS all day.
Amazon has pulled out. Broadcast TV would be perfect. Boomers are dropping Cable for Streaming and Broadcast TV.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:59 pm

RedfordRob wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:31 pm
tivoking wrote:
Amazon has pulled out. Broadcast TV would be perfect. Boomers are dropping Cable for Streaming and Broadcast TV.
Boomers are bitching about streaming because it is different. They would rather pay double for cable TV because they have been doing so for the last 40 years. If they do cut the cord and go to broadcast TV, they bitch about how everything they want to watch isn't available.

RedfordRob

Post by RedfordRob » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:58 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:59 pm
RedfordRob wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:31 pm
tivoking wrote:
Boomers are bitching about streaming because it is different. They would rather pay double for cable TV because they have been doing so for the last 40 years. If they do cut the cord and go to broadcast TV, they bitch about how everything they want to watch isn't available.
I'm a Boomer and I ain't bitching... haha

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:01 am

Courtesy: The Hollywood Reporter

Amazon to Buy Minority Stake in RSNs Giant Diamond Sports, Sinclair to Pay $495M in Settlement

"Diamond Sports Group, the largest U.S. operator of regional sports networks (RSNs), on Wednesday unveiled a so-called restructuring support agreement (RSA) with creditors, saying that it “provides a framework for a reorganization plan that would enable Diamond to emerge from bankruptcy as a going concern and continue its operations.” Under the framework, Amazon will make a minority investment in the company, details of which weren’t immediately disclosed, and become its streaming partner, while TV station giant and Diamond parent Sinclair will make a $495 million cash payment to the firm to settle litigation."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235790585/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:32 am

SBG stock is up over 13.5 percent on this news.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:50 pm

I'd love to see our local teams on Prime Video. I already have Amazon Prime. Bally's is unavailable on YouTube TV.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:13 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:50 pm
I'd love to see our local teams on Prime Video. I already have Amazon Prime. Bally's is unavailable on YouTube TV.
This is a dream I have as well… and no blackouts, dammit!!
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:24 pm

Bally on Amazon is OK because I have it. What irritates me is that OTA TV is there because of ads, but when I pay for access and then have to still endure the endless interruptions just like OTA something seems a bit much.
I figure that Amazon will make it a tier package to suck more funds from sports types.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:29 pm

Streaming is good, better than cable since it allows viewer choice if they want to pay the additional cost.

But you’re right that streamers are double dipping with ads and sign up fees.

And it won’t prevent blackouts since the streaming services and leagues would still need to agree on broadcast rights.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:53 pm

What drives me crazy about Bally is the electronic ads on the boards and on the ice. Watched the Red Wings take on Florida tonight and seeing Red Wings ads on the boards and the Meijer Logo on the ice....in the arena in FLORIDA!!! WTF????? Anybody else notice these???

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:30 am

Yes. I agree it's annoying. The national networks do the same thing albeit in a less obtrusive way.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:01 am

OTA production quality is lackluster. Bally keeping Detroit teams is preferred because of the current strength of the game production quality. Maybe the intermission studios are amateur, but only the diehards are watching those along with the pre/post game. I will take a Bally Redwings game even over an ESPN produced one because Bally does such a good job. Yes Ken and Mick are homer announcers, but 90% of the Bally audience is Detroit fans anyways and the ESPN+ revenue isn't making up for the shortfall in Michigan. TBS also does a good job as well in Detroit, I almost think they use Bally video production with their own crew.

Ditching the Bally app makes me ecstatic because it is woefully inferior to any other paid app in reliability.

The ads on the ice and boards don't bother me as much, baseball does it as well. The gambling ads make me a little sad more than anything. Hockey being the fourth major sport with a constant eye on soccer (previously Nascar) is bound to take some risks at irritating fans. ESPN putting names over the players on power play and OT is too much for me.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:48 am

A1B1C1D1 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:01 am
OTA production quality is lackluster. Bally keeping Detroit teams is preferred because of the current strength of the game production quality. Maybe the intermission studios are amateur, but only the diehards are watching those along with the pre/post game. I will take a Bally Redwings game even over an ESPN produced one because Bally does such a good job. Yes Ken and Mick are homer announcers, but 90% of the Bally audience is Detroit fans anyways and the ESPN+ revenue isn't making up for the shortfall in Michigan. TBS also does a good job as well in Detroit, I almost think they use Bally video production with their own crew.

Ditching the Bally app makes me ecstatic because it is woefully inferior to any other paid app in reliability.

The ads on the ice and boards don't bother me as much, baseball does it as well. The gambling ads make me a little sad more than anything. Hockey being the fourth major sport with a constant eye on soccer (previously Nascar) is bound to take some risks at irritating fans. ESPN putting names over the players on power play and OT is too much for me.
I miss the tracer they used to put on the puck, so you could track the movement. It was more of an issue seeing the puck pre-4K, but it'd still be nice to have...
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic