Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Obit Discrepancies

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Ben Zonia

Obit Discrepancies

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:38 pm

The obit posted for "Ron Cameron" is for someone born in 1940 and in Iowa. The sportscaster was born in Detroit in 1945. It seems to me it is very insensitive to post this. I don't know why someone would do this. There seems to be an extreme animus here for this man, and this is a low blow.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Matt

Re: Obit Discrepancies

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:09 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:38 pm
The obit posted for "Ron Cameron" is for someone born in 1940 and in Iowa. The sportscaster was born in Detroit in 1945. It seems to me it is very insensitive to post this. I don't know why someone would do this. There seems to be an extreme animus here for this man, and this is a low blow.
You posted under an account called TC Shuts Up for YEARS, so kindly shut the fuck up and go back to furiously jerking off to Donald Trump.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:57 am

Matt is just like the Hollywood writers who were on strike...he believes he's actually funny. :rolleyes

Definitely a classless move to post an obit with the same name of someone with chronic health problems. And launching F bombs when he's called out. Clever.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:37 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:57 am
Matt is just like the Hollywood writers who were on strike...he believes he's actually funny. :rolleyes

Definitely a classless move to post an obit with the same name of someone with chronic health problems. And launching F bombs when he's called out. Clever.
Same advice as I gave to the other weirdo: go back to furiously jerking off to Donald Trump.

Also, this isn't a call out - it is a passive aggressive stunt.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:53 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:

Imagine wasting 1,662 pages of memory in a computer somewhere on mindless chatter about an obscure person. The guy is 78… if he has chronic health problems the actuarial tables are not in his favor…. Besides it got the groupies in the aforementioned waste of space in a tizzy which is pretty funny as someone with no skin in the game.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:17 am

Since when did anybody get sensitive in this small hellhole of the Internet? Did I miss the memo ?
I no longer directly engage trolls

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:24 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:

There are a lot of classless people in Matt's Hometown. They just think they are better than the rest of us. I spent two years of my life there. It was enough to know I would never want to live there, and that I didn't have to spend the rest of my life isolated from society in a research laboratory. My apologies to the decent people I met there.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:09 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:53 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:

Imagine wasting 1,662 pages of memory in a computer somewhere on mindless chatter about an obscure person. The guy is 78… if he has chronic health problems the actuarial tables are not in his favor…. Besides it got the groupies in the aforementioned waste of space in a tizzy which is pretty funny as someone with no skin in the game.
Ron Cameron was not always an "obscure person" and was on local radio (stations with an actual audience) and TV for years. I suspect his radio gig, on "obscure" WPON, is probably the only thing that keeps him going at this point. This is a problem with a lot of legacy broadcasters. They lose their gig, and lose their reason to exist. I won't mention his name, but a co-worker and friend of mine basically drank himself to death, after his losing his radio job. If RayQix is reading this, he knows to whom I am referring, as we were both at the memorial service...put on by other radio people, by the way, not family.

Am I a Ron Cameron fan? Not really. But we shouldn't be so quick to judge. Ron probably always wanted to be Ray Lane, Al Ackerman, or Eli Zaret, and never made the cut.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:26 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:09 pm
Rate This wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:

Ron Cameron was not always an "obscure person" and was on local radio (stations with an actual audience) and TV for years. I suspect his radio gig, on "obscure" WPON, is probably the only thing that keeps him going at this point. This is a problem with a lot of legacy broadcasters. They lose their gig, and lose their reason to exist. I won't mention his name, but a co-worker and friend of mine basically drank himself to death, after his losing his radio job. If RayQix is reading this, he knows to whom I am referring, as we were both at the memorial service...put on by other radio people, by the way, not family.

Am I a Ron Cameron fan? Not really. But we shouldn't be so quick to judge. Ron probably always wanted to be Ray Lane, Al Ackerman, or Eli Zaret, and never made the cut.
All of that is quite unfortunate. The other problem is going to be there are a lot of folks who don’t have a slight clue who he is now. I assume the work at his peak was quite a long time ago now.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:44 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:26 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:

All of that is quite unfortunate. The other problem is going to be there are a lot of folks who don’t have a slight clue who he is now. I assume the work at his peak was quite a long time ago now.
Fair enough, and yes, it was a very long time ago. Mostly in the 70's, when every AM station in town had local news and sports.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:54 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:44 pm
Rate This wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:

Fair enough, and yes, it was a very long time ago. Mostly in the 70's, when every AM station in town had local news and sports.
Well that’s farther back than I anticipated… what channel was his TV work on? I sometimes watch old newscasts… maybe he’ll pop up somewhere.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:12 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:54 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:44 pm
Rate This wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:

Well that’s farther back than I anticipated… what channel was his TV work on? I sometimes watch old newscasts… maybe he’ll pop up somewhere.
Here's 1980s Ron & his TV co-host Bob Page. Note the smooth transition from commercial at the 6:10 mark.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:52 pm

What a great memory from 1986. Bob page and Ron in their prime. Page went on to NY and onwards and upwards to the Madison square garden network.

I remember him in the downward trajectory of his career in early 2000s on overnights on sports,fan radio network.still classy and compelling to,listen to back then.

He probably saved enough to ease into retirement.

My question is, whatever happened to Ron Cameron?
Just kidding.

In 2002-2003, page would be doing sports updates nationally from LA on sportsman radio network, and he would call in to Cameron’s local show at the time on weekends, those two would bash each other’s kneecaps, great listening, like Felix and Oscar on the odd couple.

Page would tease Cameron, Camerons commercials were just for greasy spoon diners, as if that’s how Ron literally survived on the read-outs. ( trade-outs?)

Cameron would read the ad for the Thai food joint, “hey,bob here is a dish named after you, called pad prick”…

Classic humor and good times.
Their Schtick was Ron always had a thing for Angie Dickinson and page had a thing for Yvonne decarlo.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:09 am

Ben Zonia was TCSU? LMAO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic