Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Public TV moving, current home sold

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Round Six

Re: Detroit Public TV moving, current home sold

Post by Round Six » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:41 am
Radio and TV are becoming less of the delivery option. You aren't going to replace those words with Streaming. The brand should focus on content.
Very true. No longer need to plan around viewing or listening "live" to content that interest you.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm
Detroit PBS is flush with cash, evidently.
Do the employees have to pay the city tax? I feel bad for them if they do. The city gave me someone else's tax refund once.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:14 pm

SD45 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am
They are going to convert an old building in Detroit at 234 Piquette.
Courtesy: Google Earth

234 Piquette

https://www.google.com/maps/place/234+P ... ?entry=ttu

The newspaper writeup mentioned earlier:

Detroit Public TV changes name, buys a block in Detroit for its future headquarters

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 196803007/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm

Michiganviewer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:00 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm
Detroit PBS is flush with cash, evidently.
Do the employees have to pay the city tax? I feel bad for them if they do. The city gave me someone else's tax refund once.
Yes, they do, if they physically work in the city of Detroit. The not-for-profit status of the employer does not matter.

I will never donate to WTVS. Too much money goes to fancy digs and probably salaries and not enough to quality programming. They show some truly awful garbage (*cough* Suze Orman *cough*) during pledge drives.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:46 am

The tax payers shouldn't have to found PBS or NPR they can make it on their own in my opinion. Nope never donate to the pledge drives which I wouldn't give money to them ever. Defund PBS & NPR.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:20 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am
Be thankful the Foundation did not take the example from Ann Arbor and change itself to "Detroit Public." :D
Right? I still hate "Michigan Public." Michigan Public WHAT?? Your ear just hears something missing. I completely buy the reasoning that they should de-emphasize the words "radio" and "TV" now, sure. And it IS weird that Michigan Radio never actually had the word "public" in their name at all. But still. I saw someone say it right away: "Michigan Public Media" was RIGHT THERE. That's all they needed to do.

Anyway. I'm somewhat neutral on this branding change for WTVS. It's kind of underwhelming. The last time they unveiled a new identity (however long ago the "Detroit Public Television" name and logo came out.... it was a long time ago now. Over 20 years), it felt new. There was that interesting solar logo. It was something different, anyway. This just feels like a network mandate. Stop being original, just fall in line and start using the PBS national logo. It's fine, though. And then that took effect immediately. (Probably just convenient to do it at the same time as the announcement of the eventual new studio.)

I was surprised too at the ability to convert a building downtown into studio space. I guess they have plenty of money at least for that transition. Is it privately donated from large, local philanthropy funds? Large grants from businesses? Possible, these are the kinds of sources that do end up paying for most of PBS. A giant chunk of their money is from the philanthropic arm of H*** companies like manufacturing and R&D heavy companies, and from multi-millionaires that spread a H*** amount of money all over Detroit. (The Steven A. Ross fund or something, probably.) Individual donations are actually pretty low; PBS couldn't survive at all with only the individual donations. There's a reason they say "and with support from viewers like you" last.

It does seem like a bit of a skeleton operation in Detroit. They have that one guy who's been the on-air host (this mostly means telethons) for like decades now, I have no idea what his name is. But he's in the newest promos! And Stephen Henderson, yeah. But that's about it.

Paul Richards

Post by Paul Richards » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 pm

The government should end all funding to Public Radio and Television. What a waste of taxpayers money.
Jo and the Ho gotta Go.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

Paul Richards wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 pm
The government should end all funding to Public Radio and Television. What a waste of taxpayers money.
I fully agree. With federal spending out of control NPR and Public Television could easily be cut since our taxes are now going to go up with the expiration of the Trump tax cuts which Biden has chosen not to renew.

RedfordRob

Post by RedfordRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 pm

Paul Richards wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 pm
I disagree, it is quite good and hardly a waste of taxpayers money. Many citizens watch, listen and donate.

Paul Richards

Post by Paul Richards » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 am

NPR = National Propaganda Radio. DPTV = Detroit Propaganda TV.
Jo and the Ho gotta Go.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 am

Paul Richards wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 am
NPR = National Propaganda Radio. DPTV = Detroit Propaganda TV.
That's funny.
Do you really think there is any media outlet, from NBC Nightly News to the Western Nebraska Observer, that doesn't slant what they are telling you?
Everyone likes the ones that tell them what they want to hear.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic