Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WRIF, St. Patrick's Day 1992

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 16093

Re: WRIF, St. Patrick's Day 1992

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:28 pm

I remember Alt classics well, fall of 1999. The novelty of that format wore off in a few minutes. I don't work in radio but yeah I can totally understand walking out, when the higher ups are shoving everything on you and basically trying to get you to spi n straw into gold. Then they wonder why people snap and storm out never to return.

Back on topic, that would have really made the Detroit dial look different if 101.1 went Urban or Country. As I say, with 97.1 as rock, looking back I think " gee I wonder why it failed"(Sarcasm) .

With The Edge, when Greater Media purchased WQRS, I believe the idea was to build " A wall of rock", meaning having all 3 rock formats covered- active, classic, and alternative all in one place. I recall reading that many years ago. The Edge was really just starting to turn the corner when they flipped it to Jammin oldies in April 1999. Oddly, they did the exact same thing with 95.7 in Philadelphia a month later when they dumped Max for Jammin gold.. 95.7 Philly has a similar history to 105.1 Detroit.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:50 pm

I feel like WLLZ was playing the "harder rock" of the two. I could be wrong, but in the 80s, WLLZ was quicker to play stuff like Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, GNR, Poison, etc., whereas WRIF was playing more Robert Plant, Don Henley, Billy Joel, stuff like that. I don't remember too much prior to 1991 or so.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:09 pm

You forgot about PD Garrett Michaels attempt at the 200 song "Alternative Classics" format on 96.3. That didn't last long either.
Apt description indeed. Was Michaels PD or MD? I thought Alex Tear was still technically 96.3's PD at the time, but I may be mistaken.

I hated how the station sounded during that era. I also hated how WPLT sounded the year prior.

Their version of "alternative classics" was essentially Modern AC minus currents.

I was hoping to hear the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Faith No More, Bad Religion, Nine Inch Nails, Sonic Youth, deep / early cuts from the Chili Peppers.

Instead, we got worn out singles from Tears for Fears, R.E.M., B-52s, U2, only the safest radio singles from the Seattle grunge acts, and the same post grunge stuff 96.3 already played as a Modern AC.

96.3 should've went AC in the very late 90s or in 2000 to challenge WNIC and to complement WDRQ. I'll never understand why Disney didn't choose that route. 95.5's pivot to full bore CHR a few years later coupled with programming improvements at 96.3 did eventually lead to a very nice Hot AC / Adult CHR run. Ron Harrell did a phenomenal job with 96.3.

Ausham got royally screwed by John Dickey in Atlanta. He took Rock 100.5 to its best ratings by far in the history of the brand, but then Dickey started fucking with the station, and not too long after, it returned to ratings mediocrity.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:47 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:50 pm
I feel like WLLZ was playing the "harder rock" of the two. I could be wrong, but in the 80s, WLLZ was quicker to play stuff like Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, GNR, Poison, etc., whereas WRIF was playing more Robert Plant, Don Henley, Billy Joel, stuff like that. I don't remember too much prior to 1991 or so.
I heard an aircheck from around 1990, where LLZ was playing Phil Collins Another day in paradise or might of been Against all odds. Seems like both stations were kind of trading places maybe. Once WLLZ went smooth jazz, WRIF seemed to get there mojo back.

Rich S

Post by Rich S » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:58 am

I feel like WDZR was about to take off in the ratings. Their hard rock / hair band format did great at first. WOWF was the last run of the Fox (former WDFX.). We knew the format flip was coming. I still liked the CHR /Rock format of it’s predecessor, WDTX.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:12 am

Z-Rock had about a 2.2 share in ages 12+ when the switch to The Bear (stupid move) occurred. It had fallen well below its peak.

99DTX was a cool station for its era.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:33 pm

Why didn't they license the Z Rock name and just run it local? Metal is a hard sell. Then to bring on Nugent? Blah.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:32 am

Seemed like Drew was modeling his Schtick like David Letterman.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic