Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WTF?> WDIV F*cks up NBC news feed on 4.3, again.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolarMax

WTF?> WDIV F*cks up NBC news feed on 4.3, again.

Post by SolarMax » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:07 pm

WDIV, despite onset of a new middle east war, decides to not air the 6:30p NBC Nightly on 4.1, putting it up, as last weekend, on MeTV 4.3, and airs Local4's local sports show on the "main" channel. At 6:30 on MeTV, an NBC countdown pops in, with the program guide indicating NBC Nightly, and the news opens. As Diaz-Balart tosses to a report from Israel, at 6:34, the Three Stooges MeTV programming suddenly and inappropriately pops in. A few minutes later, MeTV is jumping in and out of NBC and the Stooges and 5 minute ad sets. Rejoin NBC. 10 sec later, Stooges. This happens until 7pm. Every return to NBC is followed a few seconds later by the MeTV feed.
A week ago, they managed to f*ck this up in a similar way, with Three Stooges briefly giving way to the NBC newscast, and back and forth with Larry, Moe and Curly (or maybe Shemp).
It's not like we could watch evening news on CBS or ABC, both of which are also airing college football.
I know there are other news outlets on cable and broadcast; tonight I wanted to watch NBC.
Blame this on incompetent and indifferent technical management. It's a consequence of off-site hubbing with apparently nobody watching or caring what's going to the transmitter and to cable.

Rate This

Re: WTF?> WDIV F*cks up NBC news feed on 4.3, again.

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:33 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:07 pm
WDIV, despite onset of a new middle east war, decides to not air the 6:30p NBC Nightly on 4.1, putting it up, as last weekend, on MeTV 4.3, and airs Local4's local sports show on the "main" channel. At 6:30 on MeTV, an NBC countdown pops in, with the program guide indicating NBC Nightly, and the news opens. As Diaz-Balart tosses to a report from Israel, at 6:34, the Three Stooges MeTV programming suddenly and inappropriately pops in. A few minutes later, MeTV is jumping in and out of NBC and the Stooges and 5 minute ad sets. Rejoin NBC. 10 sec later, Stooges. This happens until 7pm. Every return to NBC is followed a few seconds later by the MeTV feed.
A week ago, they managed to f*ck this up in a similar way, with Three Stooges briefly giving way to the NBC newscast, and back and forth with Larry, Moe and Curly (or maybe Shemp).
It's not like we could watch evening news on CBS or ABC, both of which are also airing college football.
I know there are other news outlets on cable and broadcast; tonight I wanted to watch NBC.
Blame this on incompetent and indifferent technical management. It's a consequence of off-site hubbing with apparently nobody watching or caring what's going to the transmitter and to cable.
I bet it's available online in perpetuity.... Still though... thats a hell of a screw up.....

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:10 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:33 pm

I bet it's available online in perpetuity.... Still though... thats a hell of a screw up.....
Yeah, but I wanted to watch the 6:30 network newscast at, well, 6;30.
Ended up watching BBC News which was starting at 7:00p.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:22 pm

So that's at least four occasions of screwups when including the occasions in January and June I mentioned in the "NBC Nightly News on MeTV" thread. I too was disappointed to not get the news on my DVR recording this evening.
Last edited by SteveS on Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:49 pm

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Tman

Post by Tman » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:17 am

Yep . First time it jumped from news to the Stooges at 6:30 it was a close up of Curly and the Wolfman . Nice !

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:57 am

A special pregame for Michigan - Minnesota was a tacky decision. A laugher of a matchup does not deserve an extended pregame show at the expense of network programming.

I can only surmise this move was made so channel 4 could sell some advertising.

Someone in the control room apparently was too lazy to do his or her job properly.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:55 pm

SteveS wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:22 pm
So that's at least four occasions of screwups when including the occasions in January and June I mentioned in the "NBC Nightly News on MeTV" thread.
Don't forget Wheel and Jeopardy as well, when they mucked that up on MeTV as well when the main channel aired the car show special. You would thought they would learn, but they never do.

Each time there's a mess-up like this, does WDIV apologize to the viewers, either on-air or social media? My money's on "no".

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:55 am

SolarMax wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:10 pm
Yeah, but I wanted to watch the 6:30 network newscast at, well, 6;30.
Ended up watching BBC News which was starting at 7:00p.
The Beeb is probably a much better choice. As would be the CBC on channel 9. In any case, the world is not about you getting what you want, when you want it. Stop your whining before you get sent to be without supper.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:40 am

FredLeonard wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:55 am
...the world is not about you getting what you want, when you want it.
But then again, you can get the latest news on demand on their web sites, streaming services and YouTube any time, not just at a scheduled time.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:08 am

I looked at the NBC News Now app and other streaming sites. They were not live streaming the 6:30pm NBC Nightly news program. CBET/CBC at that time was not running news of any kind.
My "on demand" demand was to be able to watch the newscast as it was being originated. NBC affiliate Local4 chose not to allow that. What I want when I want it is in fact what I want.
MW says
Someone in the control room apparently was too lazy to do his or her job properly.
Well, there effectively is no local "control room," just an out of town "hub," with an operator babysitting multiple stations, who may or may not be checking that the MeTV automation was programmed correctly (obvs it wasn't, multiple times) to bypass the satellite or IP feed and patch in NBC for 30 minutes. After the first one or two f-ups, tech management should have put the hammer down and gotten that fixed. Bad optics for the station even if it's not the 4.1 cash machine channel.

Tman

Post by Tman » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:57 am

So he covered his ass and got both shows in at the same time . Muti-Tasking !

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:47 pm

Channel 4 shouldn't be preempting network newscasts for pregame fluff extravaganzas in the first place, in my opinion.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:02 pm

Local 4 will have pregame again at 6:30 tonight so let's see how it goes this time with NBC Nightly News on MeTV. It doesn't show as being on MeTV on the TitanTV listings on the Local 4 website but it does show it on zap2it. No big deal on a Monday night as ABC and CBS news will air at the same time. The original post was on a Saturday when there are fewer options due to sports programming.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:33 pm

I would expect their automation system to completely screw up NBC Nightly News on 4.3.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic