Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Drew Lane interview

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Drew Lane interview

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:20 pm

Stumbled across this today. Podcast with Drew, Ed Kelly, Bob Rivers...and Zip. I was kind of hoping for more mention of the Drew and Zip days, if only because there is so little of the shows history prior to Mike joining.

Check it our if you have time!

https://youtu.be/zC0_LAeITac?si=c1DX0o9O1NFXpwMP

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

tivoking

Re: Drew Lane interview

Post by tivoking » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:42 am

Supposedly, their ratings were in the basement before Mike joined, so no one was recording it back then.

sizzlechest

Post by sizzlechest » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:11 pm

I think a lot of listeners followed Ken Calvert to WLLZ, but then came back when D&M blew up a few years later. Up until around 2000, I would actually wake up early just to listen to them, even if I had the day off from work. I was afraid I'd miss something funny or important. But in the year 2000, a very weird thing happened that changed the show forever. The TV show Survivor debuted, and the flood gates flew open for reality television.

sirrealone

Post by sirrealone » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:13 am

The Janet Jackson 'wardrobe malfunction' during the Super Bowl Halftime Show was what I saw as the turning point of the show. After that the FCC started cracking down on indecency across the board. As a result, they 'weren't as funny anymore' because of having to scale back on the outrageousness that listeners had gotten used to. Drew going on extended leave for his back surgery a couple of years later is what put the nail in the coffin.

They had a great run, though.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:16 pm

sirrealone wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:13 am
The Janet Jackson 'wardrobe malfunction' during the Super Bowl Halftime Show was what I saw as the turning point of the show. After that the FCC started cracking down on indecency across the board. As a result, they 'weren't as funny anymore' because of having to scale back on the outrageousness that listeners had gotten used to. Drew going on extended leave for his back surgery a couple of years later is what put the nail in the coffin.

They had a great run, though.
This is completely true.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks to the plethora of videos surfacing on YouTube, I've found myself turning to classic D&M clips and shows while I work. While I loved the show during its run, what does it say about current morning shows when I would rather listen to clips from a show that's been defunct for a decade?

I have some tapes of some snippets of the shows from pre-titgate that I would love to get uploaded some day.
-TurkeyTop

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:23 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:47 pm
Thanks to the plethora of videos surfacing on YouTube, I've found myself turning to classic D&M clips and shows while I work. While I loved the show during its run, what does it say about current morning shows when I would rather listen to clips from a show that's been defunct for a decade?

I have some tapes of some snippets of the shows from pre-titgate that I would love to get uploaded some day.
The other day I busted out my iPod Classic and played it on shuffle, and I have all the old Best of Dick Purtan CDs saved onto the iPod. As I listened at random to a bunch of that Best of Dick Purtan audio, I was literally laughing out loud. Much of that comedy holds up really well, and it was so much funnier than anything that is on the air these days.

I don't intend to be an old guy saying things were so much better back in my day, but they just were. Those are some talented and funny people.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:54 pm

thekman wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:23 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:47 pm

The other day I busted out my iPod Classic and played it on shuffle, and I have all the old Best of Dick Purtan CDs saved onto the iPod. As I listened at random to a bunch of that Best of Dick Purtan audio, I was literally laughing out loud. Much of that comedy holds up really well, and it was so much funnier than anything that is on the air these days.

I don't intend to be an old guy saying things were so much better back in my day, but they just were. Those are some talented and funny people.
No, we really did, considering how provincial we are. We don't accept outsiders, even ones popular the country around like Stern. We had Purtan, D&M, JJ and George, Mason, Jay Towers (loved him on DRQ back when), Calvert, we had a lot of great shows around here.
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic