Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC's Jim "JJ" Johnson Announces Retirement

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
armchair pd

Re: WOMC's Jim "JJ" Johnson Announces Retirement

Post by armchair pd » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:15 pm

Post Covid, peoples routines have changed.

Drive time's have changed.

Listening habits have changed, especially with a lot of remote/hybrid work still going on.

Morning shows are less relevant than ever. Half the people I know who work remote sleep in now. Which is why a lot of morning show's go well past 10am.

Middays and PM drive are just as, or in some cases, more important.

Radio needs to let go of it's outdated 25/54 and mornings are everything mindset.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:43 pm

I think JoAnne and Jason will carry the Morning Show on their own. They have done it in the past when J.J. was on vacation. Or fire all the remaining on air personalities and become JACK FM 104.3 “We Play What We Want”. I can dig it.

Deleted User 8422

Post by Deleted User 8422 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:09 pm

good riddance. now if they could only get hairplug podell retire and finally clear out the last chunk of 70 year old dead wood from Detroit radio

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:18 pm

zeplepplin wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:09 pm
good riddance. now if they could only get hairplug podell retire and finally clear out the last chunk of 70 year old dead wood from Detroit radio
How to tell who planned for retirement. And who didn't, and is still behind the microphone on a Geritol IV.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:33 pm

zeplepplin wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:09 pm
And will radio be better now that the “dead wood” is cleared out?. I don’t think it will change a thing. Radio will just have younger “dead wood” and we may see more Artificial Intelligence in the business. AI will replace many radio positions, it’s already being used by Spotify and many other companies.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:35 pm

Sooo who did the show today?
Music is my life.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:42 pm

JoAnne and Jason. As I mentioned earlier that will probably be the route that Audacy will go. The show actually sounds good. But that technical glitch is still not fixed. The sound quality is still bad.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:17 pm

What was JJ's last show like?

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:17 am

Chuck Gadica was on as the guest host this morning on WOMC. I wonder if Gadica will end up getting the job as JJ's full-time replacement. I think he'd be a solid choice for WOMC. I'd be surprised if Exitcom was willing to spend that kind of money though to bring in Gadica as a full-time host.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:28 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:17 am
Chuck Gadica was on as the guest host this morning on WOMC. I wonder if Gadica will end up getting the job as JJ's full-time replacement. I think he'd be a solid choice for WOMC. I'd be surprised if Exitcom was willing to spend that kind of money though to bring in Gadica as a full-time host.
They've been there done that with Chuck. It flopped.
Great TV guy ( and one of the nicest guys period ) but way to vanilla for morning radio.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:05 pm

Probably more of a test and less of a guest
Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:10 am

When will the engineers and IT gurus at Audacy get off their butts and fix the skipping / popping issue with the music?

KJKK in Dallas has (or had) exactly the same issue, per a post on Radio-Discussions.

I'm now thinking it is an automation system or software issue as opposed to an STL issue. I've never noticed the disturbance during Scott Shannon's syndicated show from New York that airs Sunday mornings.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:57 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:10 am
When will the engineers and IT gurus at Audacy get off their butts and fix the skipping / popping issue with the music?

KJKK in Dallas has (or had) exactly the same issue, per a post on Radio-Discussions.

I'm now thinking it is an automation system or software issue as opposed to an STL issue. I've never noticed the disturbance during Scott Shannon's syndicated show from New York that airs Sunday mornings.
I've noticed this issue on other stations too, not just stations owned by Audacy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:49 pm

Just for fun, I scanned a chunk of the FM dial while on the road around 12:30p today.

Hot 107.5 has big time audio dropout issues; they are more severe than those on WOMC.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:26 pm

Beats what's on 107.5 now.

I thought the LMA ended three years ago? What's the deal? I would really love a true classic soul & R&B format there again. Not a white-ified format, either.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic