Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC's Jim "JJ" Johnson Announces Retirement

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TC Talks

Re: WOMC's Jim "JJ" Johnson Announces Retirement

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:05 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:14 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:05 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:06 am
Better hurry, those drywall estimates all need to be written up before Thanksgiving. :smokin
There's more money in Drywall than broadcast engineering.
He thinks he’s cool insulting people who have a trade. Really the height of ignorance.
And it's always the double standard: complain that no one wants to work, then take a cheap shot at those who do.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:28 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:14 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:05 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:06 am
Better hurry, those drywall estimates all need to be written up before Thanksgiving. :smokin
There's more money in Drywall than broadcast engineering.
He thinks he’s cool insulting people who have a trade. Really the height of ignorance.
And it's always the double standard: complain that no one wants to work, then take a cheap shot at those who do.
Precisely.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:25 pm

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:16 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:25 pm
I made angry Mac and cheese noises with S.Farley once

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:59 pm

Given how cheap David Field and Exitcom management are, isn't it likely that JoAnne and Jason will be the new morning show and JJ's spot doesn't get replaced at all? David Field seems to have a fetish for syndication too, so is there a syndicated classic hits morning show from one of their Exitcom markets they could air in Detroit?

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:40 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:59 pm
Given how cheap David Field and Exitcom management are, isn't it likely that JoAnne and Jason will be the new morning show and JJ's spot doesn't get replaced at all? David Field seems to have a fetish for syndication too, so is there a syndicated classic hits morning show from one of their Exitcom markets they could air in Detroit?
I totally agree. Audacy is in deep financial trouble. The station could just be non-stop music mornings with traffic and weather on the 10’s.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:51 pm

Caliber wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:40 pm
I totally agree. Audacy is in deep financial trouble. The station could just be non-stop music mornings with traffic and weather on the 10’s.
There's an old story about a couple that went camping because they both thought the other one enjoyed it. As the years went by they figured out neither one really cared for it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Every station has a morning show. Do program directors really know for sure listeners prefer talk over tunes? Is everyone doing it because everyone's doing it? Not realizing most people really don't care for it.

Ask your non media friends and family that question. Which do they prefer in the morning, melodies or mouth?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:20 am

Round Six wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:51 pm
Caliber wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:40 pm
There's an old story about a couple that went camping because they both thought the other one enjoyed it. As the years went by they figured out neither one really cared for it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Every station has a morning show. Do program directors really know for sure listeners prefer talk over tunes? Is everyone doing it because everyone's doing it? Not realizing most people really don't care for it.

Ask your non media friends and family that question. Which do they prefer in the morning, melodies or mouth?
I've always preferred a music intensive morning show. What Big Jim does at CSX is a good balance.
They could slide Beau into mornings on WOMC and not change a thing and it would work just fine.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:34 am

I say that when if any of the contracts come up for renewal that Audacy just won’t renew them and 104.3 just becomes straight music with zero personalities. I don’t think it would change the daytime ratings at all. The ratings will definitely drop after J.J.’s departure of course but the station overall will not perform any better with or without personalities. Another possibility is that Audacy just might eventually flip the station to something entirely different. That happened a few years ago with WJMK 104.3 in Chicago, Audacy flipped it to WBMX 104.3 an Urban AC.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:28 am

Caliber wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:34 am
I say that when if any of the contracts come up for renewal that Audacy just won’t renew them and 104.3 just becomes straight music with zero personalities. I don’t think it would change the daytime ratings at all. The ratings will definitely drop after J.J.’s departure of course but the station overall will not perform any better with or without personalities. Another possibility is that Audacy just might eventually flip the station to something entirely different. That happened a few years ago with WJMK 104.3 in Chicago, Audacy flipped it to WBMX 104.3 an Urban AC.
If people just wanted straight music, they would plug their phone into their car and play Spotify
Music is my life.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:36 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:28 am
Caliber wrote:
If people just wanted straight music, they would plug their phone into their car and play Spotify
Not everyone has that luxury. 25-40% of the people in Detroit do not have access to the internet.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:07 pm

Caliber wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:36 am
stopnswop2 wrote:
Caliber wrote:
Not everyone has that luxury. 25-40% of the people in Detroit do not have access to the internet. One third of Detroit’s population doesn’t own a vehicle.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:18 pm

I don't think mornings are a good shift for the talented guy formerly known as "Beau the Jammer"

I stopped listening to WOMC when they dumped Steve Kostan. The out-of-town suits clearly don't understand our loyalty to local talent here in the Motor City.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:29 pm

Caliber wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:36 am
stopnswop2 wrote:
Caliber wrote:
Not everyone has that luxury. 25-40% of the people in Detroit do not have access to the internet.
Fine, CD player, etc.
But you're missing the point of my post
Music is my life.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:25 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Or like Caliber says, play CD's. Or load up a USB stick. Or have satellite radio. The list of options for folks that don't want to hear gums flapping in the breeze is endless.

Like I said earlier, start asking friends and family that are not into broadcasting as much as you are. What do they listen to in the car? I'm fairly confident morning shows will be low on the list.

I recognize many here on Buzzboard share the attitude there HAS to be a morning show. Anytime a station changes formats, y'all immediately go into "Who will they get to host?" mode. Meanwhile the station changes formats, plays just tunes and the ratings are pretty good.

Then what happens to the ratings when they roll out the obligatory morning show?

Yup every time. Yes or no?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic