Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Constant negativity

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolidGoldDancers

Re: Constant negativity

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:54 pm

Newsman123 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:07 pm
SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:46 pm
Newsman123 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:06 am

Kim Adams for one, is making close to 500K a year and is a Chief in market 15 for a reason, whether you like it or not.
Yes, those reasons are:

1. It is market 15 and she works cheap. Fifteen years ago, she might command that and get it. I don't believe she makes anywhere near that today. They were not paying that in total for their previous talent.

2. The general manager at WDIV wants to do exactly what he did in Jacksonville; scare moms and old ladies with stories read by moms and young ladies.

3. No one in the smartphone age gives TV "meteorologists" any credibility. When they constructively dismissed the real ones, they crossed a line and there is no going back. WDIV knew this and went head-long with #2.

400K a year aint cheap.
You’ll have to do better before you get a “oh, look, you’re right.”

Post the contract or shut up.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:09 pm

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say she makes $250k to $350k a year, probably more likely on the upper end of that scale. That's great money. I doubt she is getting paid less than the current market rate for someone of similar stature at a station with cash flow similar to that of WDIV.

I believe the Detroit TV market is #18 or #19 nationally in total revenue. That's what matters, not population rank.

This article is from 7 years ago; most of these numbers have certainly come down since that time:

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.o ... ts-earn%2F

Interesting info from glassdoor.com; keep in mind the top TV stations in Grand Rapids bill about one-third the revenue of Detroit's leading stations:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/mich ... KO9,28.htm
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:59 pm

I don't want to come off as a total a-hole due to my previous reply. Don't get me wrong, I am an a-hole, but I have a lot of history with WDIV and the current players, so I'll explain.

I can not believe that Adams is being paid that amount of money. She was doing podcasts and furniture advertisements as a divorcee before landing a gig at a station she twice stiffed by ducking out of her contracts early. Current management is doing a color by numbers of a plan that Alan Frank has done for years. They themselves are bargains on the payroll. They were shopping in the remnants bin with Adams, otherwise she wouldn't be there.

There is one way that Adams could be making that money, and that is to begin setting up Baracy for the heir to the weather throne. They would have zero problem giving Adams that kind of money for 3-5 years, only to pile credibility onto someone else and hit the eject button. But knowing how absolutely ridiculously cheap WDIV is when it comes to payroll, I think this is a remote possibility.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:05 pm

What would cause the station to pivot from Humphrey to Adams, though? Are you suggesting his salary demands would've been higher than those of Adams?

I think something else was in play. I think the station believes she is a stronger broadcaster (not necessarily a better meteorologist) than he is.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:01 pm
There are still some pretty good on-air meteorologists around these parts. I think Rich Luterman and Alan Longstreet on Fox 2 are both very good. Ahmed on 62 clearly knows his stuff. Mike Taylor on 7 appears knowledgeable, too. Ashlee on 4 is not bad and is an upgrade from her predecessor.

Blake Harms on WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids is excellent. There are several other folks in that market who are pretty good.
Yea but they're not Mal Sillars...

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:05 pm
What would cause the station to pivot from Humphrey to Adams, though? Are you suggesting his salary demands would've been higher than those of Adams?

I think something else was in play. I think the station believes she is a stronger broadcaster (not necessarily a better meteorologist) than he is.

Humphrey wanted more money than Adams/Bailey. He wasnt worth it. They told him to take a hike.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:40 am

I agree he wasn't worth it.

I wonder how much he is making in Memphis? Considerably smaller (and poorer) TV market than SE Michigan, but I suspect chief meteorologists get paid well there since the region is susceptible to strong tornadoes.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:54 am

Main anchors in memphis make in the 125-175K range these days. Im sure he is at the top of that, but nowhere near Detroit money.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:45 am

"Post the contract or shut up."

What are you on thinking that anyone would post such a document to a public message board?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:08 am

Newsman123 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:06 am
These are veteran onair people making six figure salaries,

:lol

If you're an on air talent, radio or TV, have a thick skin, or cry harder.
It ain't a gig for sissies.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:53 pm

Newsman123 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:54 am
Main anchors in memphis make in the 125-175K range these days. Im sure he is at the top of that, but nowhere near Detroit money.
So what's your story?

Do you work at a TV station?
If so, are you actually someone there?

Not just in the building working for a contractor scrubbing toilets, yet on here posting like you have some sort of authority?

What do you do?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

ProducerXM

Post by ProducerXM » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:36 pm

I think Rhonda Walker and Kimberly Gill would have something to say if Kim Adams were actually making 400k a year.
I also don’t get the obsession with the salaries of on-air personnel. What gives?

deadend

Post by deadend » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:55 pm

Kim Adams sucks. Pretentious and back stabbing. Her vacant smile hides her sinister side which she uses to manipulate WDIV management into getting her way.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:03 pm

Are you new to the buzzboard?
Music is my life.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:05 am

If Kim is making anywhere north of $200k then folks on this site aren't anywhere near critical enough of her performances.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic