Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The new 910AM News Talk Superstation

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Tvguy

The new 910AM News Talk Superstation

Post by Tvguy » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 am

[https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 15177.html]

"For the first time in years, Metro Detroit has an alternative to WJR, with a genuinely conservative point of view," said Kevin Adell, Chief Executive Officer of Adell Media. "We're excited to launch this new talk station with the biggest names in the format. As the 2024 Presidential Election race heats up, 910 AM will be well positioned to provide all the important news and updates our community needs to stay informed on the latest hot topics and issues."

RayQix

Re: The new 910AM News Talk Superstation

Post by RayQix » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:41 am

What pipe is he smoking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:45 am

"For the first time in years..."

Must have forgotten about WDTK-AM and -FM and the religio-broadcasters clogging up both dials.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:07 am

I'd rather listen to one of Sima's Bangladesh music programs than that slop.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:16 am

Hard pass. If they had stuck with ESPN radio I would have at least checked that occasionally while driving to see what was on.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:35 am

Premiere may be paying to have clearance in a large market. At minimum, it's bartered. Stations clearing their programming usually have a local morning show so perhaps that's in the works, unless Barclay is that plan (simulcast from WOOD?)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:03 am

Interesting. The rumor that popped up a week or two ago has proven correct! Radiofan1974 was the first to mention it.

Justin Barclay - better known around here as ex-morning host Puddin' at failed CHR station 98.7 WDZH - currently hosts late mornings at WOOD Radio in Grand Rapids. He's had that gig for a number of years.

I presume he'll remain based there.

Also interesting: plucking Sean Hannity from WDTK and adding TOH news updates from ABC News. I like the move to add ABC.

I would liked to have seen at least one other local show weekdays, but this is not a bad lineup. I am unfamiliar with the 10PM to 5AM programming (the 10PM show based on its name sounds boring).

I wonder if Sports programming will remain on the air in weekends?

I presume the "first alternative to WJR in years" quip is a reference to Talk Radio 1270 WXYT.

WDTK should count, in my opinion, but both of their signals struggle in portions of the market. There is also some pretty bizarre programming on that station at night.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:12 am

More of the same, different frequency. That's what we sure wanted.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:44 am

Barclay has filled in for Glenn Beck a few times so he's well verse in political talk.

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:18 pm

I'm in total agreement with Dan in Northville and ZenithCKLW. Let's face it OTA radio stations have been hyping themselves as "Playing a Better Variety of Hit Music" for decades when a better promo line is "We Play a Better Variety of the Same S*@t Everybody Else is Playing Ad Nauseum." OTA radio and TV have been on the downward slide since deregulation, especially on station ownership numbers. Maybe time for a bit of re-regulation so station owners might try working harder to attract audiences and maybe try some innovative formats. Hey, I can dream can't I?
Great Lakes Vet

thekman

Post by thekman » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:03 am

I wonder if Sports programming will remain on the air in weekends?
Nope, mostly repeats of the weekday shows.

https://www.910amsuperstation.com/schedule

One weekend show I really like, which is a niche show for an economic news geek, is Larry Kudlow. I really enjoyed it when his show used to air on WJR. It's boring, financial talk, but I love it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:16 pm

Think what you will, but I see WJR's dismal ratings as of late becoming even worse. Somewhat surprised they didn't/or couldn't pick up Bongino.

I agree with Kman on Kudlow.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:39 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:16 pm
Think what you will, but I see WJR's dismal ratings as of late becoming even worse. Somewhat surprised they didn't/or couldn't pick up Bongino.

I agree with Kman on Kudlow.
It'll be interesting to see if they can hit the hard breaks on the Premiere lineup correctly, and on time. WCXI never could.

According to my moles on the inside, Bongino was/is a dumpster fire, and that's coming from stations other than WJR. Aside from that, why carry a show when the host has already said "I'm outta here at end of my contract"?

Drastic changes are still needed at WJR. There are problems in every daypart. I've noticed the geeky voices of the Sloan Brothers are once again polluting the airwaves at the once Great Voice. :lol

I'll be listening to Kudlow. I miss Bob Brinker and "Money Talk".
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:11 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:39 pm

According to my moles on the inside, Bongino was/is a dumpster fire, and that's coming from stations other than WJR. Aside from that, why carry a show when the host has already said "I'm outta here at end of my contract"?
Interesting. Kind of odd that he isn't able to transfer the success of his podcast numbers to radio. If memory serves he was number 14 of the most listened to in 2022. Both Beck and Levin were in the 40's.

WJR is airing Matt Walsh and the "fast talking " Ben Shapiro. I (think he and Paul Woods both went to the same speaking coach.). I know Shapiro pulls nice numbers, but can't imagine Walsh comes close to Bongino. I get that Bongino might be a hard sell to certain advertisers, but christ, Gordon and Smith are like one long infomercial snooze fest. Seldom if ever compelling and lacking any chuckle moments

I'd rather listen to old David Newman tapes. Hell, I'm at the point I might even listen to a Camron show if I could find it.
Last edited by Bryce on Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:20 pm

Ugh. Seriously.
How successful is this really going to be?

Will there be any attempt to hire away any quality salespeople from JR or J to sell this satellite work of art? Just clearing national network spots won’t pay the electric bill.

Will there be a strong promotional campaign to get listeners to switch…or even just an awareness campaign that 910 exists in the first place?

Will the owner fork over $$ to subscribe to Nielsen? Can’t get national buys without a book.

What demo are they shooting for? 55+? 35-55 males?

Just put it on the air; hope and pray for the best. Awesome playbook. Genius.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic