Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is WRIF ever going to replace its shitty ass recording of "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Is WRIF ever going to replace its shitty ass recording of "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:09 am

Someone needs to give the Music Director a swift kick in his or her ass!

A great cover song is ruined.

Unbelievable they've been playing the same botched recirding of this song, with horrendous mp3 artifacts, for multiple years now.

GET A FUCKING PROPERLY RECORDED VERSION OF THE SONG!!!!

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Re: Is WRIF ever going to replace its shitty ass recording of "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm?

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:21 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:09 am
Someone needs to give the Music Director a swift kick in his or her ass!

A great cover song is ruined.

Unbelievable they've been playing the same botched recirding of this song, with horrendous mp3 artifacts, for multiple years now.

GET A FUCKING PROPERLY RECORDED VERSION OF THE SONG!!!!
I noticed that months ago. You can't even hear the Michael Jackson style "Wooo!" "Wooo!" during the guitar solo. It's buried in the audio mush. Makes me wonder if they're pulling these tunes off Limewire (if it still exists)

This work is probably being done by some wet behind the ears employee who's never heard songs anywhere except on their phone or other "device"
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Mega Hertz

Re: Is WRIF ever going to replace its shitty ass recording of "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm?

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:00 am

MW, I know you aren't a fan, but they also play an alternate version of My Own Worst Enemy. These are definitely YouTube rips.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:31 am

You're absolutely right; that one sounds pretty bad, too. Smooth Criminal is the worst sounding of the two songs audio quality wise. I actually think Alien Ant Farm did a great cover; I enjoy the song when I hear a version that is properly mixed.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Someone needs to give the Music Director a swift kick in his or her ass! A great cover song is ruined. Unbelievable they've been playing the same botched recording of this song, with horrendous mp3 artifacts, for multiple years now. GET A FUCKING PROPERLY RECORDED VERSION OF THE SONG!!!!
I suggest you call the program director and provide him with your specifics regarding their recording. You'll only get satisfaction if you head to the target. Their business phone number is 248-547-0101. Have the operator direct you to the program director where you can provide specifics.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:33 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:42 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Someone needs to give the Music Director a swift kick in his or her ass! A great cover song is ruined. Unbelievable they've been playing the same botched recording of this song, with horrendous mp3 artifacts, for multiple years now. GET A FUCKING PROPERLY RECORDED VERSION OF THE SONG!!!!
I suggest you call the program director and provide him with your specifics regarding their recording. You'll only get satisfaction if you head to the target. Their business phone number is 248-547-0101. Have the operator direct you to the program director where you can provide specifics.
Point of order: the PD is a her, not a him.

Carry on.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:00 pm

Do the air staff and PD not listen to their own station?

WRIF plays the two songs in question several times a week when they are in rotation.

My guess is they just don't give a crap.

conelrad

Post by conelrad » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:23 pm

You’re losing sleep over this? 😬

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:53 pm

Not at all; it's just a big pet peeve. Why can't they fix it?

The version of the recording Alt 98.7 plays sounds great.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:01 pm

conelrad wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:23 pm
You’re losing sleep over this? 😬
Dont you think the station that is the #1 active rock station in a large market like Detroit should have standards of what goes out over the airwaves? Is that really too much to ask?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:02 pm

WIOT also plays a decent rip.

I've heard it on WRIF and it sounds awful. I don't know why a station as legendary as WRIF uses YouTube rips for some of their recordings.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:51 pm

I'm 61, WRIF was a H-U-G-E part of my youth from age 13 when I discovered that religion called "Led Zeppelin"...
Listened throughout the 70', 80's and most of the 90's....but eventually, change sets in....I miss these names and shows....
Penthallow ..."BABY"!!!, Karen "Boom Boom" Savelly, JJ & The Morning Crew, Ken "The Casual One" Calvert and his alter ego "Chuck Roast"....
Steve "The Kid" Kostan, along with Ann Carlini, Mark Addy, Nick Demos, Chuck Santoni, Carl Coffey.....even Liberal Peter Werbey....
And never forget "Drew & Mike"....
These days I can't listen to WRIF, (Dave & Chuck The Fuck) are awful....thank goodness for Sirius/XM....
Yea I'm old, miss the days when WRIF ruled Detroit rock 'n roll airwaves....
Carry on.....

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:33 pm

CKUE's audio chain, by comparison, sounds better than WRIF. Much better. Someone at Beasley is either tone deaf, or doesn't care.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:03 pm

Vocals get crushed by rhythm sections thanks to WRIF's settings depending on song. Mid treble also sounds garbled at times.

Overall, though, I think WRIF's audio sounds better now than when Mark Pennington programmed the station. When he was there, the audio was unbearably bad much of the time. He must've hated bass. He also crammed lots of vapid clutter between songs.

I think WCSX's processing also sounds obnoxious at times. For some songs, it works decently. For others, treble sounds absurdly overdone.

WLLZ's audio sounds best among local rock & classic rock stations most of the time, including right now. It has nice frequency separation, punchy bass, and does not sound distorted. Too bad their playlist isn't more to my liking.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:29 am

I am surprised that anyone is even listening to WRIF anymore.

SXM has like 6 channels I can name off the top of my head you could replace WRIF with. There are a ton of other options as well. That "BABBY!" guy has been gone since 2009 and Dave and Chuck are terribly stale.

But who cares about stale in radio, didn't Grand Rapids pair up Gregg Henson and Michelle McKormick again?

Jesus Christ. Henson looks like he's been through the wringer. Imagine starting out in Detroit and then having to work your way all the way up to Grand Rapids in your 60s. How utterly depressing that man's life is.

Does anyone know if he still owns that coffee shop for kids that he used his kid's college fund to open?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic