Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dave Prince, R.I.P.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Dave Prince, R.I.P.

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri May 26, 2023 10:38 pm

Just heard from Jim Hampton that the legendary Dave Prince has passed away. For you youngsters out there, Dave Prince was on WKMH 1310, WXYZ 1270, WCAR 1130, WCZY 95.5, and CKMR "More 94" where he did evenings, back in the '90's. "David L Prince" or "David L at Night" as he called himself on More 94, was entertaining and funny. Truly one of a kind.

I probably rolled tape on WCAR, WCZY, and More 94, but I wouldn't begin to know where those cassettes would be.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 15835

Re: Dave Prince, R.I.P.

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri May 26, 2023 11:11 pm

I've heard of him but wasn't that familiar. I don't remember More 94 but I do remember 93.9 being called I94 a couple times, like around 1991. Then of course 93.9 The Legend, then a brief period as classic rock before the river. However, I had likely heard Dave Prince before as My Mom did listen to 93.9 when they were oldies when I was a youngin.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Fri May 26, 2023 11:37 pm

As a young guy I toured WPAG when he went by the name of Dave Pringle. He was really kind to kids asking stupid questions.

edj

Post by edj » Sat May 27, 2023 6:20 am

His career started in the late 40s in another market. He also was at CKLW during the big band era.

I had tried to contact him once long after he retired but the email address was bad. Would have been an interesting interview.

Majik

Post by Majik » Sat May 27, 2023 7:51 am

I remember listening to him on WXYZ I think he was on late mornings after Don Mcneal’s Breakfast Club.

65memories

Post by 65memories » Sun May 28, 2023 11:47 am

Dave Prince was a great DJ. His popularity in Detroit started with his years at WKMH as "Sangoo." He moved on to WXYZ ("the Ugly Little Prince"), then on to the other stations mentioned. His contemporaries were Lee Alan, Joel Sebastian, Marc Avery, Tom Clay, etc. An excellent communicator, his demeanor was self-effacing. One of the best DJ personalities of the late 50s and throughout the 60s.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 29, 2023 12:00 pm

Thanks for posting this, Flagg. Absolutely great DJ. One of my early inspirations to get into radio.

Was he just an on-air talent at WCAR or did he program the station?

A few of his checks and more assorted info can be found with these links:

https://www.rememberradio.net/2021/03/d ... hecks.html

https://mcrfb.com/?cat=9

The censorship king from out of state.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon May 29, 2023 9:11 pm

He took the name "Dave Prince" when he was at WPAG in Ann Arbor, when Billboard misprinted his last name (Pringle) as "Prince" and he decided he liked it better.
Also, the name "Sangoo" (during his WKMH days) came from the Tokens' song "Tina," which was the flip side of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Dave thought it was cool, so he became Sangoo on the air. However, WKMH wouldn't let him take the name with him when he went to WXYZ. He ended up doing pretty decently without it. Joel Sebastian on Wixie had been Prince's top rival when he did nights at WKMH (proto-Keener), and the book "Rockin' Down the Dial" even tells a story about Prince "blowing the whistle" on Sebastian pre-taping the last hour of his show, leaving Prince the only one a listener could call at that hour with a song request or just to talk. Anything for ratings points! Prince was a colorful guy for sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic