Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLEN Adrian

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
syntheticexctasy

WLEN Adrian

Post by syntheticexctasy » Fri May 19, 2023 7:42 pm

I've been listening a lot lately to WLEN (thinking about buying a house a bit closer to the station, although not for that reason LOL)

Besides the kind of worn out intermission music, that station is pretty awesome.

1. Awesome variety of music, you can tell it's hand selected with care. Have recently heard a few songs on there that I've never heard and liked a lot.
2. Great sounding audio, both analog and HD. HD doesn't sound like crap like most of the Detroit FMs.
3. Regular local news and weather updates. Pretty handy.
4. The classifieds program (pretty unique to the area and seems to be a hit with listeners)
5. The DJs are great if not for the occasional slip of the tongue.
6. They're currently running a segment called "The wheel of meat". Come on, it doesn't get any better than that. I've been calling in, trying to win.
7. For a small town operation, they have a great signal. I've listened from as far west as the Calhoun/Jackson county line along I-94.

If you're within earshot, give them another listen - especially on Friday nights. They've been around and doing mostly the same things for the last 30 years or so at least.

ChrisWL1980

Re: WLEN Adrian

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri May 19, 2023 8:43 pm

It's unpolished, a lot of automation screw-ups especially after midnight, but I find that part of their charm. I started listening when I lived in Saline, and now that I live in Whitmore Lake, their signal is a rimshot at best but I listen when I can. I even had a jock give me an on-air shout-out after I posted something on their Facebook page.
The music is often a trainwreck, but it's a trainwreck that I as a music junkie appreciate. A lot of the stuff they play even I don't recognize! I really wish they'd put a "now playing" widget on their website. Their RDS identifies the song being played, but I don't live close enough for that to decode.
I love the Friday Flashbacks best. Pretty much anything that made Top 40 between 1955-1990 - and a fair amount that didn't - is fair game. Even some songs that weren't hits outside southeast Michigan (i.e. the Rationals' version of "Respect"). Tough to settle for listening to WOMC after that.

Here are some of the songs they played this morning:
Poison - Nothin' but a Good Time
Stephen Bishop - On and On
Neil Diamond - Thank the Lord for the Night Time
Archies - Jingle Jangle
Little Anthony & The Imperials - Goin' Out of My Head
Peter & Gordon - A World Without Love
Troggs - Love Is All Around
Hall & Oates - Sara Smile
Marianne Faithfull - As Tears Go By
Sandpipers - Come Saturday Morning
Roxette - Listen to Your Heart
Beach Boys - Surfin' Safari
Chordettes - Never on a Sunday
Norma Tanega - Walkin' My Cat Named Dog
Beatles - Fool on the Hill
Moody Blues - Gemini Dream
Ocean - Put Your Hand in the Hand
Sister Janet Mead - The Lord's Prayer
Arbors - Graduation Day
Don Henley - Sunset Grill
Sly & The Family Stone - If You Want Me to Stay
ELO - Last Train to London
Frank Sinatra - Strangers in the Night
REO Speedwagon - Can't Fight This Feeling
New Christy Minstrels - Today
Todd Rundgren - Good Vibrations
Led Zeppelin - D'yer Mak'er
Kingsmen - Money
Icehouse - Electric Blue
Hues Corporation - Rockin' Soul (their now-forgotten, soundalike follow-up to "Rock the Boat")
Cornelius Bros. & Sister Rose - Don't Ever Be Lonely (A Poor Little Fool Like Me)
Chairmen of the Board - Pay to the Piper
Sheena Easton - For Your Eyes Only
Woolies - Who Do You Love
Honey Cone - Stick Up

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat May 20, 2023 7:30 pm

WLEN is awesome! It's what local radio should be. Friday Flashbacks rocks. And the news, sports, traffic reports, weather, classifieds, and obits, combined with community service, and you've got one of the best stations in the state of Michigan.

Seems like any of the locally owned stations have much bigger playlists in NW Ohio or SE Michigan, so that includes WLEN, 96.1 WMTR, any of the BAS Broadcasting stations, Party 103.3, and several of our online-only stations. Makes it hard to listen to the normal playlists of any of the iHeart or Cumulus stations when you realize how small they really are.

I notice WLEN is now streaming. A few months ago it wasn't unless it was on maybe TuneIn. I'll have to listen on Fridays to hear a wide variety as it's hard to hear in Toledo.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun May 21, 2023 1:02 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:30 pm
I notice WLEN is now streaming... I'll have to listen on Fridays to hear a wide variety as it's hard to hear in Toledo.
Considering that you have 103.7 and 104.1, plus possible additional interference from Windsor's CJBC-FM translator on 103.9, it would be difficult tuning in to WLEN close to Lake Erie.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:56 am

I notice WLEN is now streaming. A few months ago it wasn't unless it was on maybe TuneIn. I'll have to listen on Fridays to hear a wide variety as it's hard to hear in Toledo.
You got me all excited for a minute. WLEN is my childhood radio station and have been wanting this to happen for years, since I'm too far away to get the signal.

Sadly, only The Cave is streamed online. The station still only streams WLEN-specific broadcasts during special events. >:
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue May 23, 2023 6:39 am

Here is the technical info:

WLEN
ADRIAN MI

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WLEN&c ... d=&lang=en

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Tue May 23, 2023 7:51 am

WLEN can teach a master class on how to be a successful radio station. They haven't won MAB's Small Market Station of the Year Award multiple times for nothing.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed May 24, 2023 11:56 am

teetoppz28 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:56 am
You got me all excited for a minute. WLEN is my childhood radio station and have been wanting this to happen for years, since I'm too far away to get the signal.

Sadly, only The Cave is streamed online. The station still only streams WLEN-specific broadcasts during special events. >:
Then the Cave's logo should be on there instead of WLEN's.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic