Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CW 50 to ditch The CW, return to independence

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
rugratsonline

Re: CW 50 to ditch The CW, return to independence

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:47 pm

Splouge wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:02 pm
...WWJ should make an offer to WHNE to swap virtual channel numbers.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:37 pm
I don't believe your last suggestion is even permissible under FCC rules.
Agreed. With few exceptions, a station's PSIP must match either its current broadcasting channel (WHNE's is "3", which is the same as its broadcasting channel), or its former analog channel (WWJ-TV, which broadcasts on channel 21, but uses "62"as its PSIP). WWJ-TV could change its PSIP to channel 21, as no one else is using it and they broadcast on that channel, but that's it.
Splouge wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:02 pm
If you ask me, I think that 50 and 62 should swap programming...
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:37 pm
There is zero reason for WWJ-TV programming to move to WKBD. WWJ-TV has stronger daylong ratings and it also enjoys a better OTA signal than WKBD.
It's not like it was prior to 1995, when WKBD was still a strong superstation in Michigan and then-WGPR was a struggling independent. 62 had upgraded its equipment and has the backing of CBS, while 50's the one whose programming is struggling these days, especially as The CW will be moving to (possibly) WADL this fall.

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:29 am

CBS have spent nearly 30 years investing in WWJ-TV on channel 62. It makes little sense to change things now, especially with CBS branding the station 'CBS Detroit' and with many/most cable systems positioning them on a higher number anyway. And with things continuing to trend towards streaming I doubt channel number matters much for anyone under the age of 50.

In any case, 21 is not all that much better than 62. If CBS really cared about channel number, they could negotiate with as many cable providers as possible to house them on 6 and then change their over-the-air branding to CBS 6 (whilst keeping their PSIP at 62). There is form for this in other cities.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:56 pm

6 is an analog channel number,

CBS 62 has been 233 for so long, tuning into "6" would be weird

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:12 pm

No official announcements have been made about WADL, but it was officially announced that KRON, WPHL, and WTTA will carry The CW. They'll all be moving MyNetworkTV to subchannels, which is strange because they already delay MNT programming to 2am. The subchannel move may have something to do with their 8pm newscasts.

Since WADL doesn't have 8pm newscasts (or any newscasts), I'd still bet that MNT will be carried at 2am on 38.1

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic