Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJR SUV up north

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Realist

WJR SUV up north

Post by Realist » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:04 pm

I passed an WJR SUV this afternoon on M-13 between Linwood and Pinconning. Are they broadcasting from up north this week?

TC Talks

Re: WJR SUV up north

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 am

North doesn't start until at least Grayling
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon May 01, 2023 12:33 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 am
About 20 years ago, maybe it was even 30 years ago, the Free Press asked people to write in with their belief as to where “Up North” begins. It was not a poll, like choose among certain answers. It was an open-ended question, just give your opinion and why you think that.

They then published a whole bunch of answers in the Sunday paper. Answers ranged all over the place. From the Zilwaukee Bridge to the Upper Peninsula. I think somebody even said Auburn Hills.

The place submitted by a plurality of the respondents was West Branch. One person gave a reason that West Branch is where they felt the trees switched from being majority deciduous with some evergreen to majority evergreen with some deciduous. For some reason that always stuck in my head and it kind of won me over. Ever since, when I’m traveling up I-75, once I pass the smiley face water tower, I consider myself Up North.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon May 01, 2023 1:15 am

Surveyors considered anything North of the Base Line (8 Mile) to be Northern Michigan. It's where the row of townships begin as "T 1 N" in Property Descriptions.

Looking at the VFR Map, a reasonable latitude would be above 43 45 00 North.

There's also a break in receivable radio stations, AM and FM, near West Branch.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon May 01, 2023 4:17 am

thekman wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:33 am
TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 am
About 20 years ago, maybe it was even 30 years ago, the Free Press asked people to write in with their belief as to where “Up North” begins. It was not a poll, like choose among certain answers. It was an open-ended question, just give your opinion and why you think that.

They then published a whole bunch of answers in the Sunday paper. Answers ranged all over the place. From the Zilwaukee Bridge to the Upper Peninsula. I think somebody even said Auburn Hills.

The place submitted by a plurality of the respondents was West Branch. One person gave a reason that West Branch is where they felt the trees switched from being majority deciduous with some evergreen to majority evergreen with some deciduous. For some reason that always stuck in my head and it kind of won me over. Ever since, when I’m traveling up I-75, once I pass the smiley face water tower, I consider myself Up North.
In the center of the state Clare is where that tree line is. That’s generally what I use to measure the question. Does it look like Canada and have tons of pine trees suddenly for no apparent reason?

edj

Post by edj » Mon May 01, 2023 6:10 am

I’ve always considered anything north of roughly current US-10 (Ludington to Bay City line) as “up north”.

I’ve never heard Auburn Hills, but I have heard Flint before which is absurd.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 01, 2023 7:55 am

edj wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 6:10 am
I’ve always considered anything north of roughly current US-10 (Ludington to Bay City line) as “up north”.
Bay City, next to Midland ? That's like calling St Louis the Gateway to the West...

West Branch is closer, I think M55 is probably where you enter the North.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

edj

Post by edj » Mon May 01, 2023 10:18 am

Not Midland proper, but north of that I do consider the beginning of "up north". Not as much as Grayling or Indian River of course.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon May 01, 2023 12:54 pm

edj wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 6:10 am

I’ve never heard Auburn Hills, but I have heard Flint before which is absurd.
I was told by a station owner in Northern Michigan that in Northern Michigan, they consider anything South of I-69 and East of US 23 in Michigan to be Detroit.

Both Auburn Hills and West Branch going North are in a high elevation area where there are lower temperatures and more snow. But going North beyond Fenton and southern Grand Blanc Township, the elevation goes back down, and temperature is greater and snow is less. I once drove through Northern Livingston County on US 23 in May, and there was a huqe snowstorm.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon May 01, 2023 2:34 pm

It is an interesting thing to define. Lake County? 100% up north. Mason County - eh, either way (west Michigan or up north both fit. Manistee County - up north. Osceola County - like Mason, it kinda straddles the line. Clare County - not up north, that's mid-Michigan.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon May 01, 2023 3:12 pm

Here is a topographical map that shows both high elevation regions very clearly, the yellow green is below 1000 feet, and the yellow is above 1000 feet.

But geographically, I still think above 43 45 00 North is quite a good definition, and includes the tip of the Thumb. Areas along Lake Huron and Lake Michigan further South to Indiana also have some of the same characteristics.

-Author Unknown

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Mon May 01, 2023 3:17 pm

Does anyone actually have an answer to the question, or will all of you geography majors continue to flash your diplomas? :rollin

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 01, 2023 3:28 pm

I'm in the "North of Clare" camp. You turn off of US-10 onto M-115 toward Cadillac and both the topography, temperature, and prevailing weather become noticeably different; e.g., rain becomes freezing rain or sleet. It's where the elevation begins a noticeable steady climb toward the highest point in the Lower Peninsula.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

edj

Post by edj » Mon May 01, 2023 3:31 pm

I don't consider any of the Thumb, even Port Austin as "up north".

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 01, 2023 3:33 pm

Mason, Lake, Osceola, Clare, Gladwin, Arenac counties northward is "up north."

I will admit that I'm including Arenac County with hesitation since Bay City, a major population center, is easily accessed.

I would consider none of the thumb to be "up north" since it is disconnected from the main land mass of northern MI.

US 10 is a decent dividing line from Clare County westward.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic