Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWJ 950

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WWJ 950

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:11 am

Can someone tell AccuWeather's Matt Benz that there is no city around here called "Oakland" ?

Thank you.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Re: WWJ 950

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:37 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:11 am
Can someone tell AccuWeather's Matt Benz that there is no city around here called "Oakland" ?

Thank you.
I've heard this as well. I can only guess he's referring to Oakland Township, north of Rochester. He also says "Clinton" frequently.

This morning, Greg Bowman is adding "Road" to every street he mentions. Dickerson ROAD, and Caniff ROAD. Both are avenues. I'm willing to bet ignorant writers are to blame for that. Saying the name of the street by itself is sufficient. Nobody needs to hear the suffix.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:16 pm

Some insight:

Yes, the writing is often an issue, and the anchors have to copy edit in real time.

Also, its unrealistic to expect the anchors to know the street names in every town and city.

Finally, Accuweather is based in Pennsylvania, so the mets arent in Michigan nor do they live here.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:02 pm

Me personally I think some are being a bit nit picky.

If I heard someone say "Out in Washtenaw" or "Over in Lenawee" without adding County, I'm not going to wonder if there is a city or village by those names. Same with a road. Who gives a toot if they call it a street, an avenue, a parkway or a boulevard. How much of a hissy fit would some of you throw if they just said The Southfield or The Davison without adding Freeway?

It's like people that indignantly correct you when you call it Cobo. They know where you mean.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:21 pm

There is a Clinton near Adrian. Specifying Township in that case is the way to go, same with Oakland and Macomb Townships.

The word Road is only necessary if it is also the name of a city. Rochester, Trenton and Southfield come to mind (I know Southfield is a slightly different case with a freeway as part of it). O'Neil Stevens will add Road, Avenue, etc to everything. He also adds the state or US route to everything. Who calls The Davison M-8 or Ford Road M-153?

Part of it is the anchors fault for not catching such poor writing. I believe some of it is the anchor also writng poorly. Erin Vermeulen is the worst offender of this.
Last edited by edj on Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:23 pm

A weather observation is taken at a precise station, so using a county name makes no sense.

My guess is "Oakland" refers to Oakland County International Airport in Waterford Twp, which is actually considered the reporting station for Pontiac.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:41 pm

My inlaws live in Wayne, MI, and I frequently visit. The number of times I’m driving over and hear about a traffic issue “over in Wayne” when they really mean Wayne County is stupid. Reports of a traffic issue on Michigan Ave “over in Wayne” when it could really be over in Dearborn or Detroit is especially confusing.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:37 pm

edj wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:21 pm
There is a Clinton near Adrian. Specifying Township in that case is the way to go, same with Oakland and Macomb Townships.

The word Road is only necessary if it is also the name of a city. Rochester, Trenton and Southfield come to mind (I know Southfield is a slightly different case with a freeway as part of it). O'Neil Stevens will add Road, Avenue, etc to everything. He also adds the state or US route to everything. Who calls The Davison M-8 or Ford Road M-153?

Part of it is the anchors fault for not catching such poor writing. I believe some of it is the anchor also writng poorly. Erin Vermeulen is the worst offender of this.

The anchors often cant catch it. The way newsradio works is new material is being added in real time. The anchors arent able to edit copy like a traditional newscast. Think a hamster on a wheel.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:29 pm

Newsman123 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:37 pm
edj wrote:

The anchors often cant catch it. The way newsradio works is new material is being added in real time. The anchors arent able to edit copy like a traditional newscast. Think a hamster on a wheel.
There is the possibility that you can read a line ahead of what you are speaking and fix it on the fly.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:54 am

Some of the best advice I received early in my career came from a broadcast vet, Rick D'Amico, who went from radio in the Midwest (Battle Creek, Lansing included) to a long television career in Phoenix. He took a hunk of wire and offered some pointers on the "cold read."

This included the notion of looking ahead in copy, to see if there were words astray or any point where emphasis on the phrase being offered would be important.

Turn on the box these days and it might be like having real time success seeking a particular product in a grocery store, "just be happy with what you get."

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:03 am

EDJ:

I still refer to the Davison as M8 and the Lodge as M10. And the Ford Freeway as I94. And I use mile marker numbers, not overpass names.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:07 am

Almost everyone calls the Ford Freeway I-94. The Lodge is about half and half. It’s the Davison that is very rarely called by its number.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:43 am

I use the names The Lodge, The Southfield Fwy, and The Davison.

I never use the names The Fisher, The Chrysler, The Reuther, The Ford or The Jeffries.

During my first several years residing in SE Michigan, it seemed reporters seldom used the route number.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:08 am

edj wrote:
There is a Clinton near Adrian.
Interesting. I've never thought of Clinton in relation to Adrian but I suppose it makes sense.
Since I've lived in either Ypsilanti or Ann Arbor for most of my life to me its always been that cute little town 12 miles SE of Saline. :blink
I no longer directly engage trolls

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:56 am

edj wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:07 am
Almost everyone calls the Ford Freeway I-94. The Lodge is about half and half. It’s the Davison that is very rarely called by its number.
The Davison Freeway didn't have the M-8 designation until about 25 years ago, when it was widened and rebuilt.

"The Reuther" was used more in the past, but I seem to hear that less and less as time goes on. It may be because the green highway signs actually said "W.P. Reuther Freeway" in the beginning.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic