Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I guess local TV stations no longer broadcast weather warnings?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: I guess local TV stations no longer broadcast weather warnings?

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 pm

That sounds about right. My folks were working in the yard outside their home in Byron Twp. when the earthquake happened. It was definitely noticed! Not only did the ground shake, but a loud subterranean rumble was audible.

The earthquake as I recall happened in the early afternoon. I actually could feel it briefly while driving in Macomb County.

I also felt the Amherstburg, Ontario earthquake, which occurred April 2018. I was shopping at Kroger when that one occurred. I felt very dizzy all of a sudden, and that feeling lasted about 90 seconds. Got home and heard about the earthquake. I knew right away that's why I felt so dizzy.

There has been a lot of seismic activity in Lake Erie near Cleveland in recent years.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:45 am

I missed the earthquake... I was serving as best man in a wedding not far from Chicago that weekend, and didn't feel a thing.

Funnily regarding earthquakes and tornadoes, we just passed the 49th anniversary of April 3, 1974, and both occurred in the Midwest that day. 4.5, near Olney, Illinois. If you listen to the WHAS (Louisville) radio broadcast from that day, they felt it live on the air while reporting on the tornadoes.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:40 am

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:41 pm
I've heard a story about something that happened at the old WBRB in Mount Clemens... they'd had reports of a tornado
audiophile wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:21 pm
I was visiting a friend inside - it was a partly cloudy day. It started to sprinkle and the power went out. Ambulance went by - I assumed it was wreck.

The next day we found out a tornado took out house and killed one person 3 miles away. No warnings, no real storm.
Was this in Macomb County by any chance? I've heard a story about the old WBRB in Mount Clemens, where one day they had been getting reports of a tornado and called the NWS office to confirm. The NWS said it was a cold air funnel and they weren't going to put out a warning, so the station did nothing. The "cold air funnel" ended up touching down, causing significant damage and one, maybe two, fatalities. Not sure when this happened, maybe the '70s or early '80s.
No, this was either 1999 or 2000. It occurred over the peat bogs.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:48 am

The humanoids at local TV and radio outlets better be "weather aware" tomorrow:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

It is quite possible a section of lower Michigan will be upgraded to moderate risk (level 4 of 5) tomorrow, most likely along and east of M-66.

Northern IN and NW Ohio will see similar risks.

P.S...I also think a significant urban and stream flash flooding risk exists for Wednesday.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:11 am

jmeltonwx wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:53 pm
NWS confirms an EF-0 tornado with 80 MPH winds hit Dundee this morning.
https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/af ... 2304012213
Wow, that’s like the third tornado in 15 years for that city.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Taco

Post by Taco » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:54 am

From the NWS Gaylord

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:48 am

It is quite possible a section of lower Michigan will be upgraded to moderate risk (level 4 of 5) tomorrow, most likely along and east of M-66.

P.S...I also think a significant urban and stream flash flooding risk exists for Wednesday.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:02 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:48 am

The 1pm outlook will be quite interesting indeed. A “strong tornado” threat is quite unusual here… I’m off around 215pm tomorrow… hopefully the action doesn’t start until 3 or 4… I’m hoping to watch it unfold on the radar.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:52 pm

The 2015 earthquake I felt being on a ride at a theme park I was at TGI Fridays for lunch. Wood TV did cut-ins last Friday for the thunderstorm with hail along with the supercell storm with hail on Tue.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic