Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mock Draft Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Mock Draft Radio

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:39 am

This time of year, 97.1 is constantly doing mock NFL drafts. Does this kind of radio really appeal to people? I find it boring, because it's just a bunch of speculation.

I'm guessing they do it in part to fill in this quiet time that follows the NFL season and precedes the NBA/NHL playoffs and the beginning of the baseball season. It might be especially valuable with the current dismal state of the Pistons, Red Wings, and Tigers.

Round Six

Re: Mock Draft Radio

Post by Round Six » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:28 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:39 am
This time of year, 97.1 is constantly doing mock NFL drafts. Does this kind of radio really appeal to people? I find it boring, because it's just a bunch of speculation.
I'll say what I've said before. They're lazy. It's easy to read off a screen someone else has wrote.

Think about it. What percentage of what you hear on The Ticket now is exactly that? Something they seen online.

Seems to me some discussion about how spring training went, who shined, who sucked, would be more appropos as the Tigers approach their opener. Personally, I think we should be hearing a little bit about The Hens during baseball season. Who's shining down there. That sort of thing.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:33 pm

Any discussion on any draft other than the position of the draftees is utterly and completely awful listening experience. It is like a bunch of 7-Eleven counter workers discussing cars at a bar in the 1970s'. "Yeah, that one has a four barrel carb stock with aspirated fluegenatar and an enhanced counter flibjab on the tranny". <Sips cheap beer>

The up side of it though is, at least they're not talking about sports betting. At least for now.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:18 pm

I was just looking at the Tigers schedule for April, and they just don't have enough day games to interrupt the midday show.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:04 pm

It is absolutely lazy radio.
The hosts will say "Its because no one wants to talk about anything else."
Well, then do your job and come up with compelling radio.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:54 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:04 pm
It is absolutely lazy radio.
The hosts will say "Its because no one wants to talk about anything else."
Well, then do your job and come up with compelling radio.
Who exactly is the "no one else"? If they're talking about others in the studio, sure. DoiH. That would involve getting their nose out of a screen and actually having a compelling thought.

If it means the callers don't want to talk about anything else, so what. Who agrees with me that the level of gray matter between each callers ears is a little on the low side? Just the fact that they call in, get put on hold for awhile, and still wait it out, tells me callers may be a little special.

Me personally, I don't understand why they don't take about 5 or 10 minutes every hour or so and talk about yesterday's games. Who here would not find that interesting?

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:20 pm

I think I am coming to the realization that this town only cares about football. People are willing to talk Lions/NFL/college all year long. All other sports have about 10% of the interest as football. In fact those other sports don’t seem to have as much interest as talking about food on some shows. But for as much criticism we can dish on 97.1, they must be doing something right. They have consistently been a top three rated sports station in the nation for a number of years. Sports talk around the rest of the country must really suck.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:07 pm

Detroit has been a football town for decades. Even when the Red Wings were winning and the Lions were somewhat competitive, the latter always took priority with the public. When the Lions were absolutely pathetic, it was still a football town.

Draft talk is lazy but people like it. It’s actually sad. The Wings or Pistons could go on a 10 game winning streak, the Tigers could throw a no hitter next week, and the biggest topic would still be mock drafts.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:45 pm

Majik wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:20 pm
... as much criticism we can dish on 97.1, they must be doing something right. They have consistently been a top three rated sports station in the nation for a number of years ...
Would you be so kind to provide some sort of link that coordinates with what you are saying?

I did a bit of Googling when I first seen you say this. I was able to find a couple of websites that place The Ticket around 12th or 13th nationwide. If I was looking at it right, listenership seems to correlate with regional population. But in fairness, I may of not been looking at the right thing.

Thanks.

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:47 pm

Round Six wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:45 pm
Majik wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:20 pm
... as much criticism we can dish on 97.1, they must be doing something right. They have consistently been a top three rated sports station in the nation for a number of years ...
Would you be so kind to provide some sort of link that coordinates with what you are saying?

I did a bit of Googling when I first seen you say this. I was able to find a couple of websites that place The Ticket around 12th or 13th nationwide. If I was looking at it right, listenership seems to correlate with regional population. But in fairness, I may of not been looking at the right thing.

Thanks.
Whenever the local ratings are posted here on buzzboard, I will go to the service that it is linked from,radio online.com, and do a manual search through the top 30markets. I find very few stations that are near the top in their markets or have numbers that are as good as 97.1.

From Feb. list: WXYT- 6.3. #4 in market. Was only topped by WBZ’s 7.5.

Top sports stations among the top 30 markets:

New York: WFAN. 2.6.
Los Angeles: KLAC. 0.9
Chicago: WSCR. 1.7
San Fran: KGMZ. 2.3. KNBR. 2.3
Dallas FW: KTCK. 5.6. #1 in market. KRLD. 2.9
Houston: KILT. 1.6.
Wash DC: WJFK. 2.8
Atlanta: WZGC. 2.3
Philly: WIP. 5.9. #5 in market
Boston: WBZ. 7.5. #1 in market
Miami: WQAM. 0.4
Seattle: KIRO. 2.4
Phoenix: KMVP. 2.8
MnStP: KFXN. 5.6. #8 in market
San Diego. KWFN. 1.6
Tampa StP: WDAE. 1.2
Denver: KKFN. 4.2
Baltimore. WJZ. 5.1
St Louis: KXOS. 3.2
Pittsburgh: KDKA. 6.0. #4 in market

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:53 am

Good morning Majik.

I'm wondering. It seems to me, based on what I was looking at yesterday, that most of the markets on your Top 30 list have more than one sports talk station.

The listenership and ratings is split up.

I apologize I read your original comment as saying 97.1 was the third most listened to local sports talk station in the nation.

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:14 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:53 am
Good morning Maj
I'm wondering. It seems to me, based on what I was looking at yesterday, that most of the markets on your Top 30 list have more than one sports talk station.

The listenership and ratings is split up.

I apologize I read your original comment as saying 97.1 was the third most listened to local sports talk station in the nation.
Yes quite a few markets have more than one sports talk station, but the second and third stations ratings are so negligible that when added together they don’t add up to 97.1’s number. I am saying that our local station is that highly rated. From the most recent figures it looks to be only trailing WBZ. Also 97.1 has a decent streaming count which further cements their position. I am curious as to where you found a list showing them to be thirteenth rated sports talk station in the nation. I surely don’t see that from that latest Nielsen numbers.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:41 pm

WMVP, the ESPN supported sports talker in Chicago draws an 1.0 rating, while WCSR (my morning commute listen in West Michigan) has a 1.7 it's only two spots up as of Feb '23, with WLS in between.

Sure can't tune in AM 1000 very easy these days where I am, and once again I read they are the White Sox flagship station. Sorry to derail Mock Draft Radio talk, it is LAME in terms of offering engagement.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:26 am

Mock drafts are the ultimate listener engagement. With all the information out there from various media it's the chance for truly dedicated and "active" fans to play General Manager, much like fantasy football. The fact it has virtually taken over local sports talk radio and podcasts is a testament to the level of fan engagement in this town, admittedly to the detriment of more passive fans.

I find it amazing that the onset of the baseball season is practically a non-event in comparison. I'm sure the respective prospects of the Lions and Tigers have much to do with this.
Last edited by moldyoldie on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:31 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:39 am

I'm guessing they do it in part to fill in this quiet time that follows the NFL season and precedes the NBA/NHL playoffs and the beginning of the baseball season. It might be especially valuable with the current dismal state of the Pistons, Red Wings, and Tigers.
It's fun for an hour and then I am done. Always hilarious to hear the Lions' fan base lather up though. :lol Kool Aid and cornbread as Mikey V would say.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic