Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Goodbye Decades Hello Catchy Comedy

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
windsor

Goodbye Decades Hello Catchy Comedy

Post by windsor » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:42 pm

As of March27 The retro channel Decades locally. on 2.5 will only air retro sitcoms of yesteryear.

No more weekend binges of cop shows like Mod Squad only sitcoms will air on binges.

It will also use a ratings service to gauge viewership to attract more advertisers than previously as Decades.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Trophyhead

Re: Goodbye Decades Hello Catchy Comedy

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:32 am

I had the "pleasure" of seeing what I think was the first salvo fired by this new package, the "Full House" debut episode. Had the Decades TV "(The) Mod Squad" binge on into the overnight.
Kind of sad that Decades promos were still running for shows now off Catchy's roster, but how efficient does one expect a transition like this to be?
Settling back in my porch swing, watching for the next thing in media to grouse about.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:11 pm

Many of those binges were bad.
Except for the Twilight Zone,
that was cool
:hat

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:59 pm

When Decades launched, it tried to be a more serious version of a retro channel, with the Through the Decades show twice a day, and the cultural commentary between shows.

That tone gradually lightened through the years, with the Through the Decades show sticking out like a sore thumb among the standard retro programming. They did try to keep the meaning of the channel name alive, by talking about the different decades represented by the weekday programming.

I liked the 50s programming that they did early on Saturday morning. I was always curious about the binge programming, although I didn't watch much of it, except, like someone else mentioned, Twilight Zone.

Recently I enjoyed the back-to-back episodes of Carol Burnett and Ed Sullivan in the early evenings, which I preferred to the A-Team/MASH programming on MeTV. Those two shows were always a nice Memory Lane trip back to the 60s and 70s.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:25 pm

No more Dick Cavett marathons?!!!! That sucks. 🥸

I will miss the Groucho Marx appearances, where he frequently donned a golfer's cap adorned with three dangly balls. LOL

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:08 am

Many good shows. Goofy new name. What was wrong with Decades? Who came up with this goofy new name? TC?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:05 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:08 am
Many good shows. Goofy new name. What was wrong with Decades? Who came up with this goofy new name? TC?
Someone obviously thinks that "catchy" is an all-purpose adjective, based on their website.

https://catchycomedy.com/

It's probably also a way to differentiate them from the Laff channel.

It also looks like the weekend binge is continuing, with Night Court this weekend.

https://catchycomedy.com/the-catchy-binge/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic