Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Darnell Blackburn

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Lickalime

Darnell Blackburn

Post by Lickalime » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:39 pm

Any opinions on Crime and Safety Expert Darnell Blackburn? I find his delivery not great.

SD45

Re: Darnell Blackburn

Post by SD45 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 pm

Of course, his delivery isn't great - They don't teach broadcast performance at the police academy. I don't see him going anywhere with Kim expecting soon.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:10 am

I'm not sure what value he adds. I think I've seen him provide two or three crime and safety reports, and I watch WDIV news fairly often. He performed decently during those segments. In contrast, I've seen him provide scores of substandard traffic reports.

I think is a case of an African American man left the anchor desk (i.e. Evrod), so the station created a prominent role for Darnell to backfill that void.

The station also seemed to make a surprisingly big deal about Will Jones' return to the station; there is nothing noteworthy about the quality of his work.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:44 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:10 am
I'm not sure what value he adds. I think I've seen him provide two or three crime and safety reports, and I watch WDIV news fairly often. He performed decently during those segments. In contrast, I've seen him provide scores of substandard traffic reports.

I think is a case of an African American man left the anchor desk (i.e. Evrod), so the station created a prominent role for Darnell to backfill that void.

The station also seemed to make a surprisingly big deal about Will Jones' return to the station; there is nothing noteworthy about the quality of his work.
Jones also was only there for a hot minute… it’s not like he’s Chuck Gadica or something…

MPRG

Post by MPRG » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:36 pm

Considering his background is law enforcement and not journalism, I think he is doing fairly well. Especially compared to when he first began (rough start for sure). I remember when Kim, who IS a journalist, was a little green and unpolished in the beginning. It happens to some who either did not have a previous on-air background, or who are not formally trained in this area. Practice is where one sees the improvement. I say give him a fair shake.

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:25 am

MPRG wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:36 pm
Considering his background is law enforcement and not journalism, I think he is doing fairly well. Especially compared to when he first began (rough start for sure). I remember when Kim, who IS a journalist, was a little green and unpolished in the beginning. It happens to some who either did not have a previous on-air background, or who are not formally trained in this area. Practice is where one sees the improvement. I say give him a fair shake.
Go to Flint or Lansing. Detroit should not be the market for that.

rushbuzz1013

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:00 am

Luke wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:25 am
MPRG wrote:
Detroit cannot pull in the rates it used to. The business model has changed drastically and as streaming operations continue to flourish, money spreads thinner between the providers. Hence, lowering the bar on salaries and on talent.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:21 am

rushbuzz1013 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:00 am
Luke wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:25 am
MPRG wrote:
Detroit cannot pull in the rates it used to. The business model has changed drastically and as streaming operations continue to flourish, money spreads thinner between the providers. Hence, lowering the bar on salaries and on talent.
Sure but if you’re 15 out of 200 you’re still on the large size… are you telling me there’s only enough talent in TV to fill 14 markets and 15 and below had better have an open casting call?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:18 am

Darnell with MDOT camera showing a nearly empty 696 near Gratiot:

"Traffic volumes are starting to pick up here!"

I literally saw four cars total in the shot.

Holy crap does this guy suck at his job.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:18 am
Darnell with MDOT camera showing a nearly empty 696 near Gratiot:

"Traffic volumes are starting to pick up here!"

I literally saw four cars total in the shot.

Holy crap does this guy suck at his job.
I see that a lot on everyone's traffic casts. Reporter telling us how traffic is backed up or not moving, while MDOT camera or on-site live shot shows just a few cars, whizzing on by. May have been congestion or delay 15 minutes ago, but not any more, "right now." Their prompter says one thing, the video shows another.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:43 pm

Darnell does this all the time. It's a crutch phrase for him. He is incapable of ad libbing evidently.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:43 pm
Darnell does this all the time. It's a crutch phrase for him. He is incapable of ad libbing evidently.
A guy who hasn't broadcast before needs a crutch? Do tell...

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:19 am

He should go back to being a cop. Absolutely painful to watch.

take this job and shove it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic