Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

"To The People" on 97.1

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
edj

Re: "To The People" on 97.1

Post by edj » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:30 pm

Gertner wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:33 am
Soooooo tired of Lions draft talk. My friggen God.
Easy, lazy sports radio topic. Another one is “Mt. Rushmore of (sport/team/city)”

SD45

Post by SD45 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:17 pm

It wouldn't be a Sunday night without Chapmans man, woman or child segment.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:24 am

Last time I actually listened to that frequency was in the year 1999 or so when they flipped from Star 97FM to 97 Rock. ( before K-Rock ). :razz

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:16 am

edj wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:30 pm
Gertner wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:33 am
Soooooo tired of Lions draft talk. My friggen God.
Easy, lazy sports radio topic. Another one is “Mt. Rushmore of (sport/team/city)”
It's stuff you can Google. There is no rocket science to repeat what someone else has written. And let's be realistic. That's basically what everyone but Caputo is doing. Yeah, Caputo may be a bit monotone and long winded. But a caller bringing up something that isn't the "topic of the hour" doesn't befuddle him.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:07 pm

You know, for all the bad said about the ticket and their callers, we are lucky to have a station like this.

Majik

Post by Majik » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:01 pm

windsorjoe wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:07 pm
You know, for all the bad said about the ticket and their callers, we are lucky to have a station like this.
I hear you WJ. In the old days before 24 hour sports talk radio, we had to rely on the 5 minutes devoted on the nightly tv newscast or the 15 minutes of sports news on WJR’s six o’clock news hour to get any info on what was happening. Or read a little more in-depth in the daily rags. Now we get more than we need. Although 97.1 has its many flaws, it is consistently one of the top 2 or 3 rated sports stations in the country. Right now only WBZ in Boston draws better ratings, and is actually the #1 station in that market. When you add the Ticket’s streaming to their ratings they occasionally top this market. It is nice to have this option on the dial. It just sucks that their is a dearth of good talent in this market to fill all of the on air positions. Detroit used to be a Mecca of great air personalities. To my ears that is no longer the case.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:45 am

Majik wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:01 pm
windsorjoe wrote:
I hear you WJ. In the old days before 24 hour sports talk radio, we had to rely on the 5 minutes devoted on the nightly tv newscast or the 15 minutes of sports news on WJR’s six o’clock news hour to get any info on what was happening. Or read a little more in-depth in the daily rags. Now we get more than we need. Although 97.1 has its many flaws, it is consistently one of the top 2 or 3 rated sports stations in the country. Right now only WBZ in Boston draws better ratings, and is actually the #1 station in that market. When you add the Ticket’s streaming to their ratings they occasionally top this market. It is nice to have this option on the dial. It just sucks that their is a dearth of good talent in this market to fill all of the on air positions. Detroit used to be a Mecca of great air personalities. To my ears that is no longer the case.
Well said. Imagine if they had 1 or 2 more top notch talents...maybe we wouldnt have to go "to the people!" so often and the host(s) could carry and drive the show like theyre supposed to.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:11 am

windsorjoe wrote:
No, they are lucky to have listeners.

I haven't listened consistently in about 6 years.

I find them lazy and uninspired. When you realize people consider themselves 'lucky tho have a (product) like you', mediocrity is the result.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:45 am

Ohio_Quebecois wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:18 pm
There are two things I can't stomach when it comes to talking about sports. Yelling like your life depends on the outcome of a game and people speaking as analysts about a game when they've never played. Between the hosts and callers, WXYT has those in spades. When I see a sports media personality who can't throw (Although I love him, Wojo is one) they lose credibility with me.
You're touching on something I've wondered about. Dan Miller's half hour sports wrap up show on Sunday nights.

Instead of having radio personalities that have never played the game, how about former jocks who have actually thrown a ball or slapped a puck?

If the main topic is going to be basketball, former basketball players. During the Lions season, former football players. You get the idea.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:13 am

A fossil speaks, to note that there was also Sports Final, a 15-minute nightly report starting at 11:15 p.m. on WJR, before Jay Roberts and Night Flight 760.

I never met or worked with him, but I understand Jim Costa is presenting himself well on 97.1 now. He was a young fellow who worked up his act in Grand Rapids before ESPN 96.1 went all-network, then crossed over to the hosting "dark side" (meaning he who can't be named, what, 18 years later?).

Another ancient assertion is that Athletes learned to play sports, and broadcasters were trained in the skill of presenting engaging content. An old jock should probably be able to learn a new trick, like talking about what they did or what is going on now. I recall reading Howard Cosell's lament about the "jockocracy" in network sports broadcasting, but that came from a pretty bitter fellow who certainly got his share and benefits from the limelight.

I listen to 670 The Score from Chicago on my commute, but only in the morning.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic