Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC HD WYCD HD

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
ftballfan

Re: WOMC HD WYCD HD

Post by ftballfan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:05 pm
May have spoken too soon about WITL. Its HD is now off and the 95.3 and 95.9 translators are silent.
Good for Townsquare. Two fewer Jesus music drones with zero local content to clog up the dial.
What I think is really a waste of electricity is using HD on a spoken word format like WUOM (which has no side channels). If I'm listening to This American Life, I don't care if it's HD or analog. 91.1 WFUM's HD went off years ago and has never come back on.
Did WUOM ever have an HD2? I know WVGR turned off HD completely for a while earlier this year, but it came back on. I do know that WEMU had HD for a while, but has had it fully off for a while now.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:05 pm
May have spoken too soon about WITL. Its HD is now off and the 95.3 and 95.9 translators are silent.
Good for Townsquare. Two fewer Jesus music drones with zero local content to clog up the dial.
What I think is really a waste of electricity is using HD on a spoken word format like WUOM (which has no side channels). If I'm listening to This American Life, I don't care if it's HD or analog. 91.1 WFUM's HD went off years ago and has never come back on.
Did WUOM ever have an HD2? I know WVGR turned off HD completely for a while earlier this year, but it came back on. I do know that WEMU had HD for a while, but has had it fully off for a while now.
None of the Michigan Radio stations have ever had an HD2 as far as I know. WEMU had an HD2 that played a mix of traditional and smooth jazz that I rather liked.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:46 am

Did WUOM ever have an HD2?
I thought they did once upon a time. I want to say it aired BBC World News, but I could be wrong.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:46 am
Did WUOM ever have an HD2?
I thought they did once upon a time. I want to say it aired BBC World News, but I could be wrong.
I know WGVU had HD2 (oldies) and HD3 (jazz), but they're down to HD1 only. I'm surprised they're still HD (WGVS-FM has never run HD AFAIK)

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:36 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:53 pm
That really sucks. Thanks to HD radio, I had a place start working on my craft without moving to a daytimer in Lima, Ohio. Said what I wanted, played what I wanted and it helped move me on to the main FMs. It was a good idea, just not executed very well.
Point of order... There's no "daytimer" in Lima. :hat

I agree with you on HD. It was another option, and thanks to the corporate bean counters, now it's gone. David Field needs to go.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:41 pm

Interesting factoid:

After reading this thread, I sent an email to a contact at Xperi, who I've dealt with in the past on technical matters. The person has been around since the Ibiquity days.

I waxed a little philosophic on the turn-down of HD2/HD3 channels as discussed here, the overall lack of Xperi sponsored public education on just what HD is and how to use it, and what is probably the beginning of radio manufacturers omitting it in new radios.

I closed with:

Will Xperi hope to hold on somehow with just HD1 capability at stations (most do not set up their processing properly to take best advantage of it), or the occasional group that wants to put their AM on their FM? I’ll wager the radio manufacturers are not going to spend the money on licensing fees for that.

When that happens, the last song at the wedding reception will have been played, and it will be time to turn off the lights and say goodbye.

So far, she has ignored the email.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

ConstipatedListener

Post by ConstipatedListener » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:10 pm

It's been a long and agonizing death, but due to the way it's been handled, (or mishandled), it was inevitable. I do own receivers and have enjoyed the ride. Every time I listened, I just couldn't help but ponder "how long can this go on?".

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:41 pm

I tip my cap to you, Plate Cap. Nicely stated.

I will say HD Radio technology does get used for data transmission, not just audio content. For example, some vehicles' infotainment systems get traffic or weather data via FM transmission using Xperi's technology. I'll be the first to admit I have no clue how much revenue this use generates for either the FM station or for Xperi.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:28 am

How many times do broadcasters need to learn the lesson that modulation standards backed by licensed technology fail adoption?

C-QAM
Kahn
FM-X

…and now this?

Surprise, now the auto manufacturers are yanking AM from their radios. These people at C level positions in broadcasting are not too bright.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:41 pm
I tip my cap to you, Plate Cap. Nicely stated.

I will say HD Radio technology does get used for data transmission, not just audio content. For example, some vehicles' infotainment systems get traffic or weather data via FM transmission using Xperi's technology. I'll be the first to admit I have no clue how much revenue this use generates for either the FM station or for Xperi.
I don't think they are getting much $$ from it.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:53 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:36 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:53 pm
That really sucks. Thanks to HD radio, I had a place start working on my craft without moving to a daytimer in Lima, Ohio. Said what I wanted, played what I wanted and it helped move me on to the main FMs. It was a good idea, just not executed very well.
Point of order... There's no "daytimer" in Lima. :hat

I agree with you on HD. It was another option, and thanks to the corporate bean counters, now it's gone. David Field needs to go.
I needed to think of the shittiest, BFE town possible. It's just another thing Lima doesn't have.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:50 pm

Lima is beautiful compared to Fostoria (shithole town along US 23 about 40 miles SSE of Toledo).

edj

Post by edj » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:28 pm

Fostoria is only good if you like watching trains, which I don’t. It’s seen much better days. I’ve never been in Lima proper, just bypassing on I-75.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:46 pm

What makes it so much worse? I like a lot of places in Seneca County, OH.

I don't think I have been in Fostoria, OH though.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:06 pm

Regarding Fostoria, let's see:
-A bunch of small, rundown looking houses with overgrown weeds in the yard
-A rather bleak central business district with plenty of empty storefronts
-The only grocery store I remember seeing was a Save-a-Lot
-The streetscape along US 23 was very tired looking

From Wikipedia:
The median income for a household in the city was $31,166, and the median income for a family was $38,427. Males had a median income of $31,476 versus $22,016 for females.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic