Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

93.1 has one of the worst "country" music playlists I've ever seen

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

93.1 has one of the worst "country" music playlists I've ever seen

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:50 pm

Looks like about half the damn spins on the station come from about 10 artists, two of them being the unbelievably awful Sam Hunt and Dan + Shay.

I'm so happy WYCD is kicking their ass in the ratings. 99.5's music over the past 60 days has improved quite a bit.

99.5, 88.7 and 95.9 all have far better playlists than 93.1.

Some are speculating that another trade between Audacy and Cumulus could be in the works, with the object of Audacy's desire possibly being either WDRQ or WDVD. It is also possible the scenario involves no Detroit station whatsoever.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Re: 93.1 has one of the worst "country" music playlists I've ever seen

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:59 pm

10 years this December! At what point do they just pull the plug?

Rhythmic AC might work okay on DRQ, but if the overhead stays low, they won't change a Goddamn thing.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:50 pm
Looks like about half the damn spins on the station come from about 10 artists, two of them being the unbelievably awful Sam Hunt and Dan + Shay.

I'm so happy WYCD is kicking their ass in the ratings. 99.5's music over the past 60 days has improved quite a bit.

99.5, 88.7 and 95.9 all have far better playlists than 93.1.

Some are speculating that another trade between Audacy and Cumulus could be in the works, with the object of Audacy's desire possibly being either WDRQ or WDVD. It is also possible the scenario involves no Detroit station whatsoever.
Interesting.

IF Cumulus sells, which I don't believe is in the cards soon if ever, it'll be both FM's. WJR is a company cash cow.

I still believe DRQ will be WJR-FM. Not if, when. Don't look for WWJ Newsradio 93.1

Agree. Musically, DRQ Blows. WDVD is all over the place as well. That's on the PD.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:59 pm

Audacy has room for another station on FM and so does Beasley.

If WWJ were to get an FM home, that would probably hurt 760 WJR, so with that in mind, Cumulus enabling Audacy's ability to give WWJ an FM home does seem a bit far-fetched.

There are rumblings Audacy is getting ready to deal its AC station in Buffalo to Cumulus and possibly one or more stations elsewhere to get a current Cumulus-owned station it wants. The Cumulus cluster in Minneapolis would fit nicely with Audacy's pair of FMs plus WCCO there (a couple of the crappy 105 signals could be tossed aside, if necessary). Of course, KRBE in Houston - a rare standalone FM - is another station that comes to mind. Seems to me Audacy would need to give quite a bit to Cumulus to get that one. The thought of WXLO going to Audacy is interesting - but I cannot see Cumulus wanting to be left with only a couple crappy Class A signals in Worcester that lack core Boston market coverage (and I also cannot see Audacy wanting those garbage signals).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:00 am

I wonder if WDRQ's estimated annual billing last year was as shitty as it was in 2018?

http://www.countryaircheck.com/images/u ... atsrev.pdf

$1.6 million is all it mustered that year, according to BIA. That's less than sister station W4 in Ann Arbor! It's also just one-half of what sister station K100 in Toledo billed that year.

Even 107 WMUS in the tiny Muskegon market managed $1.1 million!

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:52 am

Contemporary country music is perhaps among the worst genres with absolutely zero creativity and zero effort. I find it amazing that anyone that likes country music actually listens to that garbage.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:48 pm

WYCD may be better musically, but it has those annoying autotuned CHR jingles as well. In my opinion, W4 in A2 is better than either 93.1 or 99.5, and Blackburn's stations (95.9 and CFCO) are better still. TBH, Duke FM is all the country music I need.

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 am

I use the iHeartRadio app and listen to 80's and 90's country...which are largely ignored in most markets. Nowadays it's all newer stuff that I am not interested in. I feel the GenX demographic is largely ignored.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Deleted User 15969

Post by Deleted User 15969 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:01 am

David Korey is klueless. It's no wonder Beasley told him to take a hike in Boston. WJR-FM is coming before 2024.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:15 pm

I agree on the first point. I'm not sure about the second.

If 760 were to gain an FM signal, I bet Audacy would ditch Alt 98.7 within 72 hours thereafter.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:14 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:48 pm
WYCD may be better musically, but it has those annoying autotuned CHR jingles as well. In my opinion, W4 in A2 is better than either 93.1 or 99.5, and Blackburn's stations (95.9 and CFCO) are better still. TBH, Duke FM is all the country music I need.
K100 has those same types of jingles as well. Their old jingles were much better.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:18 pm

Given the country revenue numbers over in the Grand Rapids Forums that show WDRQ isn't even billing $2 million a year, how does Cume-less keep justifying its existence? If they had flipped 93.1 to sports talk when they had the Lions and moved the Lions + MSU basketball/football over to 93.1 would they be billing any better?

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:28 pm

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:52 am
Contemporary country music is perhaps among the worst genres with absolutely zero creativity and zero effort. I find it amazing that anyone that likes country music actually listens to that garbage.
I love country music and detest what modern, mainstream country radio and the artists it plays (minus Miranda Lambert and Chris Stapleton) have become. Artists the likes of Florida-Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Sam Hunt and their same song choices about trucks, tanlines, backroads, and beer have ruined a once enjoyable radio format. I love the modern country music but you won't find almost any of what I enjoy on the radio. Besides KOKE-FM in Austin, TX, no one is playing Billy Strings, Jason Isbell, Margo Price, Sturgill Simpson, Turnpike Troubadours, Tyler Childers, etc. It would be awesome if corporate radio had the guts to think outside the box and try something different with 93.1 like KOKE's format, but alas we're stuck with a station on autopilot, playing the very worst of modern, mainstream country over and over.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:22 pm

Taco wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 am
I use the iHeartRadio app and listen to 80's and 90's country...which are largely ignored in most markets. Nowadays it's all newer stuff that I am not interested in. I feel the GenX demographic is largely ignored.
Be more honest.
30 year old boomers were the ones listening to the songs you're talking about.
Music is my life.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:28 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:28 pm
SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:52 am
I love country music and detest what modern, mainstream country radio and the artists it plays (minus Miranda Lambert and Chris Stapleton) have become. Artists the likes of Florida-Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Sam Hunt and their same song choices about trucks, tanlines, backroads, and beer have ruined a once enjoyable radio format. I love the modern country music but you won't find almost any of what I enjoy on the radio. Besides KOKE-FM in Austin, TX, no one is playing Billy Strings, Jason Isbell, Margo Price, Sturgill Simpson, Turnpike Troubadours, Tyler Childers, etc. It would be awesome if corporate radio had the guts to think outside the box and try something different with 93.1 like KOKE's format, but alas we're stuck with a station on autopilot, playing the very worst of modern, mainstream country over and over.

I can't see Billy Strings playing north of the Ohio River.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic