Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Coverage of the MSU campus shooting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Herm

Re: Coverage of the MSU campus shooting

Post by Herm » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:35 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:09 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:06 am
Sounds like they did a decent job last night, but failure to be on-air this morning is a major fail.
It all happened last night. Anything this morning is just a recap. No need to do morning coverage if there’s no live breaking news, especially since it all was resolved last night. They don’t have a morning newscast yet but will soon.
There was a lot happening on campus yesterday. The investigation is still ongoing, classes were cancelled for the rest of the week, parents were flocking to campus to pick kids up, there was already a memorial service, etc.
Plenty of new items to cover, plus added insight from people connected to the tragedy and the handling of it. Quite a bit more than just a recap of what happened the night before.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:16 am

I do think they are doing things on the fly and are learning on the fly.
Presumably, they had multiple weeks to practice before launching. There should be no "learning on the fly."

Maybe things will get better down the road, but so far, 62 has the makings of yet another CBS O&O that will be a distant also-ran in local news viewership.

Fox 2 in the past 36 hours has also demonstrated it is a shell of the station it once was.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:53 am

62’s execution is getting better and better. They did a special edition of CBS News Detroit at 6 am. I also think they are preparing to fully launch the morning newscasts.

I must say Kris Laudien has done a tremendous job covering the MSU shooting. He’s a very good hire, as is Terrence Friday.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:55 am

Gee. They did one today but not yesterday. I guess that's an acknowledgement they dropped the ball BIG TIME yesterday morning.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:58 am

Also, I trust what others say who were in the business say about this and overall, their feedback overall is positive. They are critical when needed, but it’s not to the point where they are just complaining. Even some who uses to work there are fair in their feedback. Critical when needed, yet positive when needed. Overall, most are pleasantly shocked by their newscasts. The same ones who were skeptical about it,

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:06 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:55 am
Gee. They did one today but not yesterday. I guess that's an acknowledgement they dropped the ball BIG TIME yesterday morning.
Yesterday was more of a breaking news edition. Everything was on the fly. The issues that happened early on was quickly fixed. It’s to be expected when nothing was polished and information was constantly comings. Overall, they did a good job, considering they are still a newbie. Mistakes happen but if they are fixed, than I’m cool. Seen even 2, 4, and 7 make mistakes in the past but were corrected. 4 and 7 overall are much, much better stations than they were a couple years ago. 2 still needs work, but that’s just my opinion.

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:43 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:Heard out of the Lansing stations, WLNS did by far, the best job. Locally, still think WDIV, WXYZ, and WWJ did the best job. WWJ had some technical issues but quickly recovered. WJBK was decent overall.
We tried watching the WILX app, it was very unprofessional, I think his name is Cody. They needed to send an anchor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jsf

Post by jsf » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:05 pm

I see that Channel 4 is refusing to show a pic of MSU shooter. didn't seem to stop them from showing Buffalo shooter's pic.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:22 am

From 2019 when he was caught (scroll down which runs 18 minutes) https://midmichigannow.com/newsletter-d ... e-anderson

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:47 pm

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

WDIV Anchor Stresses Need For Accurate Information In Michigan State Shooting

"Devin Scillian, a news anchor on WDIV in Detroit, shared how misinformation was being posted on various social media sites, and the station was being “so pushed and prodded to share disinformation.”

https://marketshare.tvnewscheck.com/202 ... -shooting/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:02 pm

Interesting piece from Mr. Scillian.

He did teach me a new word via his thought piece - "vomitorium". I like that word.

Oneoldnewsguy

Post by Oneoldnewsguy » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:49 am

Here is a pretty good synopsis of how bad CBS was. They are on the freshman squad they to play varsity opponents.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news/msu-sho ... e-32420449

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:19 am

Good article; thanks for sharing it.

Mr. Watson is correct that quality of reporting improved as the week moved along, but here's what I wonder - did these guys not practice coverage of live, breaking news AT ALL prior to launching?

To not provide any cut-ins before the 11PM hour is completely indefensible, in my view. Thousands upon thousands of Metro Detroit residents have children who attend MSU.

The litany of technical screw-ups is also indefensible.

To say...
“Considering that we were in our third week of being an operating newscast organization, I was pretty proud of our coverage,” Watson tells me.
...is ridiculous. He ought to be utterly embarrassed by the trainwreck that was on the air that night during a scheduled news slot, and he also ought to be embarrassed by being so absurdly late in reporting the shooting.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:33 pm

Good article. Although towards the end, the writer just seemed to repeat their PR bullshit.

The GM is also full of shit. They didnt “get better” on tuesday. The top of the 5 and 6 was riddled with errors.
He is “proud” of what they put out?

And as for the mistakes.. I dont care how new they are. The people running the show are veterans. They should know how to put on a newscast. Unless they hired kids behind the scenes.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:34 pm

Our resident CBS defender seems to have deleted himself… pressure of how bad it is got to him?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic