Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Coverage of the MSU campus shooting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Coverage of the MSU campus shooting

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:14 am

What a horrific event. 3 are dead, and 5 are in critical condition. Just at a loss for words. I think all four stations did a great job. As for the winners, I give it to 4, 7, and 62. 2 still did great though.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Coverage of the MSU campus shooting

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:33 am

Channel 7 is still on the air and definitely did the best job.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

OnTopic

Post by OnTopic » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:46 am

CBS broke in past their 11 o'clock news and continued on their livestream through the final press conference as well.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:45 am

All stations should've been in wall to wall coverage on air.

Which stations failed that test?

No peep from 62 yet this morning; they seem to be running their usual national programming. Very lame.

Good coverage from the other three local stations this morning, particularly 4 and 7.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:58 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:45 am
All stations should've been in wall to wall coverage on air.

Which stations failed that test?

No peep from 62 yet this morning; they seem to be running their usual national programming. Very lame.

Good coverage from the other three local stations this morning, particularly 4 and 7.
62 ran it on air until just after 1 am. 2 broke away before 1. On thy app, 62 covered it until nearly 3 am. 4 and 8 stations stopped before 3.

Remember, they covered this all live. Anything this morning is just a recap. The gunman died fast night.

62 said they would cover the morning press conference online when it happens this morning and would recap it at noon, on the air. Remember, they don’t have a morning newscast yet but their coverage last night was great. They were one of that last stations to break away from the coverage. Have to be fair about it. Like I said, they all did great.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:06 am

Sounds like 62 did a decent job last night, but failure to be on-air this morning is a major fail. No need for a full newscast this morning; cut-ins would've been perfectly fine.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:09 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:06 am
Sounds like they did a decent job last night, but failure to be on-air this morning is a major fail.
It all happened last night. Anything this morning is just a recap. No need to do morning coverage if there’s no live breaking news, especially since it all was resolved last night. They don’t have a morning newscast yet but will soon.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:12 am

A lot of us weren't watching news late last night. I also disagree with your statement that anything this morning would be "just a recap." How do you know that in advance?

The motives of the shooter are still being investigated, his identity hasn't been released, and there are multiple victims in the hospital with critical injuries. The names of the victims have not yet been released publicly, either.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:40 am

Some people at 62 finally decided to get out of bed and come to work!

They are on the air now with a cut-in.

Rachelle Graham tried to segue to video footage just now, but control room didn't have it ready. The reporter there named Andres (cannot recall his last name - sorry) is doing a brief live report from the field.

The cut-in lasted about five minutes. I wonder why they ran it at 6:40 and not at the bottom of the hour?

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:08 am

Speaking of 62, they just interrupted CBS Mornings to recap this and they are covering the 8 am press conference, on air and online.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:11 am

While the events were unfolding during the 9:00 hour, it was only 4 and 7 that were wall-to-wall live. 2 joined in live at some point just before 10pm. Every time I clicked over to 62 before say about 10:30, it was just CBS programming. I only briefly looked in to channel 50s newscast at some point between 10 and 10:30 -- it was just a regular pre-packaged newscast.

Live news is an interesting beast - though all the stations continuously cautioned about inaccurate information, they couldn't help themselves and put plenty of it on their air. It was interesting to me that 2 drew a line about NOT reporting that the attack resulted in at least one fatality early on when 4 and 7 were reporting it as fact sourced by a member of MSU's board.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:14 am

Glad to see 62 is now giving the story the attention it deserves. They were ready to rejoin national programming at 7:10, but at the last second, they evidently changed their mind. They have multiple reporters now filing reports from the East Lansing area. I suspect the initial thinking was to run that content on their streaming platform exclusively (which probably has next to zero usage), and then wisely, the call was made to stay on the air with it.

Major thumbs down to Fox 2 for coming on the air later than even the national news networks, if indeed that is the case. While I'd expect half-assed coverage from 62 (they waited until nearly 10:30...seriously??), I'm surprised to learn Fox 2 trailed 4 and 7 significantly with regard to cutting in.

Also, I think 7 made a major mistake joining GMA as normal at 7a this morning. To make their audience migrate to channel 20 for continuing coverage is bullshit. How many people even watch channel 20 over the course of a full week? I bet a lot of people aren't even sure where to find channel 20 on their cable lineup. Their ND (or whomever made that call) is a moron for cutting off coverage on WXYZ so that GMA could run.

Kudos to Local 4 for remaining on-air during the 7a as opposed to running the Today show. 100 percent the correct move on WDIV's part.

ProducerXM

Post by ProducerXM » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:25 am

WDIV’s anchors consistently had inaccurate reporting last night. Saying only one person was shot and the shooting was over by 9:00pm. They were over confident and pathetic. Mara McDonald was ok. Photographer kept showing her rather than the scene, however. Lame.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:26 am

I've never been a fan of McDonald's work from the field.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:35 am

7 just rejoined coverage. All four stations are now covering this. I think someone at 7 had a fit and made them rejoin coverage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic