Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2023 predictions

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Newsman123

Re: 2023 predictions

Post by Newsman123 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:42 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:32 am
Bobbert wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:43 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:53 pm
Matt wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:57 pm
People still post in the tired Ron Cameron thread. I am not one of them.
793 fucking pages. In all my years here, I've never seen any thread with that many posts.

Where the hell does he broadcast at?
WDTK

The bizarre nature of the show keeps the thread going.

Recently, his time slots have been bouncing around because of Wayne State sporting events, and Ron's flustered, angry reactions to these changes are as entertaining as anything else on the program.

He's constantly talking about opening a new restaurant and getting knee surgery, but apparently, one of these things must happen before the other thing happens. A Catch 22 situation that will probably go on forever.

He has three regular callers who all have strangely unique personalities. Two of them (Cowboy from Windsor and Mr. Positive) have also made appearances on other radio shows. The third (Kurt from Fraser) is always arguing baseball with Ron and usually has to be shouted down to stop talking and hang up. Mr. Positive has tried to publicize the Buzzboard thread in his calls, but Ron has told him to stop mentioning the Buzzboard, because of the "bullcrap" that has been written about him there.

I admit, it is a very acquired taste, but Ron keeps giving us a lot of material to laugh at, satirize, and ridicule, so the thread will keep going as long as Ron is on the air.
If nothing else, you have to admire Ron's longevity. He's actually owned a couple of stations, as amazing as that seems. He was pretty good on WCAR (1130) back in the day, but man, that was 45 years ago.

As for my predictions, I predict "more of the same" as we are mired in mediocrity. Case in point, all of the green talent on WWJ. WJR running "Best of's" all week, instead of giving fill-in hosts a shot. Put Harper and Kam Karmen in Guy Gordon's shift for a couple days, to promote the new Saturday show, for instance. But hey, I get it, they don't work for free. The ridiculous "news anal-yst" format is a joke too, and seems to be falling flat even with the hosts themselves.

WWJ “green talent”? All of the front line weekday anchors are veterans with decades of experience, and are at the top of their game. A few new reporter/producer hires are green, yes. But thats happening everywhere.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:54 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:58 am
Thanks for pointing out Ron's longevity. There is some grudging admiration for his persistence in the Ron Cameron thread. He's about to turn 78, lives in a motel, and apparently spends most of his days trying to sell ads for his radio program, which is aired during time that Cameron buys. There's no denying that he's a hard worker, even if a lot of his energy goes in unproductive directions.
Fancy meeting you here, Bobbert! I cannot leave non-listeners with the impression that Ron’s a hard worker when it comes to the content of his show. His preparation consists entirely of bringing in a hard copy of the sports page of the Detroit papers (he’s actually been known to read box scores & stats). As for his shows, he spends a lot of time doing play-by-play of televised games. And when he does land the occasional guest* - that is, one who’s not in the Guest Protection Program to elude Ron - Ron asks the same questions, e.g., did you always want to be a professional whatever, what was your greatest thrill. Ron prides himself in doing no prep work for his show. As Bob Page, his former TV partner, once said of him, Ron is the only person he knows who’s never gotten any better in a job he’s had for over 50 years.

*My favorite guest story was the time Jim Northrup was scheduled to be on Ron’s show. As is his wont, Ron promoted Northrup’s appearance for weeks, including repeatedly the first hour of the show Northrup was scheduled to be on. After the news break between the hours, Ron took a long pause before uttering these classic words, “Jim Northrup will not be on today because his wife says he has Alzheimer’s.” As a postscript, Jim Northrup died a few weeks later.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:58 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:27 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:53 pm
Matt wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:57 pm
People still post in the tired Ron Cameron thread. I am not one of them.
793 fucking pages. In all my years here, I've never seen any thread with that many posts.

Where the hell does he broadcast at?
I come to the buzzboard often, I do not listen to Ron Cameron, I know who he is , in the past I have listened to his Sports Shows, remember him when I was a teenager his shows on the old WCAR 1130 (I'm 60 as of this post)
Mega said it best...for a show that gets what...?? 200 listeners a week, it has 793 pages of useless B...S... posted in here daily...
I stand by my comments and anticipate useless replies (like the Ron Cameron thread)....

Happy New Year everyone...Go Blue!!
Yeah, I mean, I know OF him, but all I really know is his heyday was back in the 70s and 80s on XYZ. But, I have heard more stories about him living in a car (or something like that) and mentioning restaurants for free meals. Or some shit like that (I think).

Furthermore, I live in pretty much black hole for AM reception. I don't even think I get WDTK here during the day, let alone at night.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:07 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:58 pm
Yeah, I mean, I know OF him, but all I really know is his heyday was back in the 70s and 80s on XYZ. But, I have heard more stories about him living in a car (or something like that) and mentioning restaurants for free meals. Or some shit like that (I think).

Furthermore, I live in pretty much black hole for AM reception. I don't even think I get WDTK here during the day, let alone at night.
Well, you're in "luck." If you can't get AM during the day, or you can't hear him online (https://patriotdetroit.com/listenlive), WDTK can also be heard on 101.5 FM (https://salemmedia.com/radio-stations/the-patriot-wdtk/). My goal for '23 is to get the size of Ron's audience into the double digits.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:58 pm

This could have been a fun thread but now its Fucked up.....thx and happy fucking new year.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:00 pm

windsor wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:58 pm
This could have been a fun thread but now its Fucked up.....thx and happy fucking new year.
It can still be fun. I'll get some PBR, coke and hookers.

-TurkeyTop

mapletrees

Post by mapletrees » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:31 pm

1. The Overcomer Ministry gets taken off of WNZK, but stays on WCXI.
2. 93.1's country format gets axed for a WJR simulcast.
3. WDET ditches NPR for a Motown/AAA format (This might actually save the station IMO)
4. iHeart enters another round of layoffs. WLLZ will become a WIOT twin and Channel 955 will become even more bland.
5. 88.7 or 93.9 (probably 88.7) will ditch its format for Oldies or an AM800 simulcast. Seriously, Windsor still needs 2 country stations?! I can't even imagine anyone anywhere tuning into 88.7 for any reason at this point. The Bobby Bones Show stinks, and the music they play is the worst selection within 500 miles of here. Not to mention Windsor residents still have 99.5, 93.1 and 630 coming in perfectly fine.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:39 pm

I can't see any major changes on the horizon. We have had a number of format changes the last few years, so I think most major stations will stay the same. Not too sure about the AM dial.

-TurkeyTop

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:22 pm

Turns out Detroit was one of the cities to get the latest Nielsen Ratings over the last couple of days.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb011

Any predictions for Cumulus Media?

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:07 pm

Marcus wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:22 pm
Turns out Detroit was one of the cities to get the latest Nielsen Ratings over the last couple of days.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb011

Any predictions for Cumulus Media?
Looking at those ratings DRQ looks prime for a flip....but to what???

Classic alternative ??
70s classic rock???
Turbo clone 90s/2000s rock??
Tweak the country format??

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:11 pm

2023 is not a political year so it will be tough year revenue wise for the commercial broadcast stations. If advertising from online gambling drops off then layoffs and cuts could happen.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:38 pm

62’s news falls flat but they stick it out the whole year.
The Windsor Bell stations all stay the same formats. At least one personality is cut, probably from CKLW.
WDRQ does not flip, nor does 98.7
One AM is sold or taken dark other than 1030. Money is on one of the low profile stations
Jason Carr makes a return to TV- in a neighboring market
Jay Towers is unfortunately still on the air

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:40 pm

edj wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:38 pm
62’s news falls flat but they stick it out the whole year.
The Windsor Bell stations all stay the same formats. At least one personality is cut, probably from CKLW.
WDRQ does not flip, nor does 98.7
One AM is sold or taken dark other than 1030. Money is on one of the low profile stations
Jason Carr makes a return to TV- in a neighboring market
Jay Towers is unfortunately still on the air
This might be the most realistic set of predictions I've ever seen.

-TurkeyTop

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:26 pm

Keep in mind that WNIC's Christmas music takes a big chunk out of many stations, including the country stations, each year, so that report is not representative of normal listening habits. WDRQ was in the 3-share range not long ago so I would think Cumulus wouldn't consider flipping it quite so soon, unless the station isn't able to rebound after the holidays. If it's keeping WYCD from being #1, it could be argued New Hick-Hop is doing its job.
I don't predict 88.7 and 93.9 will flip, as they exist to give Bell's corporate brands clearance in Windsor. One move I could see Bell making is jettisoning 580 and returning 88.7 to its roots as CKWW-FM, but I predict if that happens the Oldies go bye-bye and we get either Bounce or Move in its place (maybe with a different name if they can't use Bounce because of 105.1). It'd be nothing but replacing one corporate brand with another.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:28 am

WCSX will remain at or near the top and continue its mandate of at least one Bob Seger song per hour
WRIF will continue its decent mix and remain the best of the rock stations
WLLZ will continue its ridiculous (awful)mix of old and newer songs trying to be WCSX's baby brother while continuing to ignore a shit ton of great songs from the 80's and 90's that they really should be playing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic