Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mispronunciation by Jonathan Carlson this morning

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Re: Mispronunciation by Jonathan Carlson this morning

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:17 am

SD45 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:14 pm
Michigan has plenty of these. Someone could easily say Charlotte instead of Char-lot.
Jeff Lesson said that, just the other day. I was surprised to hear that from Jeff. As for Jonathan Carlson, he probably doesn't bother to go exploring every nook and cranny of metro Detroit, but that's no excuse, and he's been in town far too long to use the "I'm new to the area" defense. Perhaps filling in for Charlie Langton doing street reporting for a week would fix the problem. :lol

To be fair, the traffic reporters can't even say "Rotunda" with emphasis on the correct syllables. If a green traffic reporter is from Westland, he's probably not going to know what to do with "Cadieux" or "Beaufait" if he's saying "Chalmers" incorrectly.

"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Stud_Muffin

Post by Stud_Muffin » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:13 pm

Newsman123 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:29 pm
IIN4MU wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:10 pm
You get what you pay for.
They are paying a lot, so not sure what this means.
How do you know?

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:51 pm

I got to thinking about the proper way to pronounce different locales and boulevards.
Go with a source you can trust. The voice of Google Maps. You know however she says it must be right.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:27 pm

Stud_Muffin wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:13 pm
Newsman123 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:29 pm
IIN4MU wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:10 pm
You get what you pay for.
They are paying a lot, so not sure what this means.
How do you know?
I know.

DiamondJim1960

Post by DiamondJim1960 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:17 am

Truthfully, love this forum. The hidden get to play judge and jury. Okay, one missed word takes away the positive broadcasts he may have done. I got taken to the mat over Saline and again an unidentified critique. I work with the aforementioned and know his contribution to radio are more than two words. By the way to the person who took me to task regarding Saline. I have been thoroughly briefed. Take care and always great to have you out there listening with a great vengeance.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:28 am

DiamondJim1960 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:17 am
Truthfully, love this forum. The hidden get to play judge and jury. Okay, one missed word takes away the positive broadcasts he may have done. I got taken to the mat over Saline and again an unidentified critique. I work with the aforementioned and know his contribution to radio are more than two words. By the way to the person who took me to task regarding Saline. I have been thoroughly briefed. Take care and always great to have you out there listening with a great vengeance.
Welcome, Jim Hughes.

DiamondJim1960

Post by DiamondJim1960 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:00 am

Great to be here.......come on radio rangers tell me who you are? What I really enjoy are the music hounds who tell you that the very station they are complaining about doesn't play enough of whatever BS music they think is a deep cut. Worked fifteen years overnight weekends at 94.7.......every week by one caller got told we didn't play the correct Deep Purple.
Like I say if you don't like the flavor of the Kool-Aide move on. Nope......every weekend....I have fallen prey to that myself. My muse is the Detroit Lions. The weekly drink of the Honolulu Blue is better now.
My point is only one......before you become the radio police on every word. Give someone a chance......not asking regarding my Saline incident. That was just reading to fast......
Be well consumers of my rant. See you on the radio

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:19 am

DiamondJim1960 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:17 am
Personally, I think you should have been moved up the ladder at 'CSX. That was back when I still listened, and you did a decent job, and deserved better.

Back to traffic nitpicking... M10, near Webb, and Elmhurst, is not Northwestern Highway, it's the Lodge Freeway. It's not called Northwestern until you enter Oakland County, and to make things more confusing, the Lodge Service Drive is called James Couzens. I wonder if you're an eastsider... In Detroit, just like in Cleveland, east never meets west, and vice versa. Chicago is even worse, with north / south, and Chicagoans are brutal to talent from out of town. Much worse than Detroit. I dare anyone to go on WBBM and say "Devon Avenue" incorrectly. 😆
As traffic reporters go, you're good. Keep it up.

As for who we are? We're just a bunch of grizzled old radio guys, some formerly on-air, some former management, who remember when it was a fun business to be in.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

DiamondJim1960

Post by DiamondJim1960 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:22 pm

Gonna take some of that down as I know I may have crossed the M10 barrier. Thanks

mr v

Post by mr v » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:06 pm

I heard Tony Ortiz pronounce Ubly as Ooo-blee all afternoon after the Bearcat lost in the MHSAA football title game. It seems someone in the newsroom should have corrected him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic