Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Family Life Radio WUFL To Transfer To Relevant Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
audiophile

Re: Family Life Radio WUFL To Transfer To Relevant Radio

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:11 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:33 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 pm
I wonder, how long will it be before FLR disappears altogether? Back when I worked in Lansing, I recall one of the FLR guys telling me they were not allowed to play Amy Grant, who was extremely popular at the time. Things have been updated some since then, I'm guessing. This is still a surprise, as WUFL, and the station in Phoenix (the legendary former KRIZ) were supposed to be FLR's crown jewel stations, next to WUGN Midland, which covers a lot of pine trees and cedar swamp.
I think it was the Vince Gill thing that caused Amy Grant to not be allowed, and not just on FLR stations. Michael DelGiorno plays a lot of her more spiritual themed songs from early in her career on his Nashville Talk show. They are very good. Country and Rock and Roll and fame and fortune tend to have an effect like that on many artists. Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift had a more wholesome image at first also. I don't think Amy Grant has become anywhere near as changed as they have.
At that time they still played George Beverly Shay and Sandy Patti. Amy Grant was way too contemporary for the founders ears. Amy about that same time she released Baby Baby which featured her kissing a hunky actor in the MTV video that rankeled many marriage proponents.

The Vince Gill thing was many years later.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:08 pm

Meanwhile WMUZ 103.5 is still the most successful Christian station in Detroit. Since November 11, 1958. It has out lived its original competitor WBFG 98.7 which became WLLZ in 1980.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:58 pm

One of the other posters on this board did some of the original Proofs Of Performance. The conductivities not shown on the pattern change application show even worse conductivity to the Northwest. I don't know if he has access to those. I would like to see those.

Another poster here is the original owner as WDRQ. I don't know if he has the original Proofs either.

The Proof Map shows what appears to be be a deep null to the Northwest, where the maximum IDF was in the original pattern.

As I recall they let the nulls out after running the original Proofs. That involved changing the field ratios in the original pattern from around 0.8 to 0.64 according to the information I did have.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:02 pm

WDEO's signal is lousy in much of Metro Detroit - especially the northern suburbs.

WUFL's signal is a complete blowtorch in heavily Catholic areas of Macomb County, but it's daytime only. The signal is also scorching in much of eastern Oakland County. It's one of the best AM signals in Metro Detroit for sure for daytime coverage.

The translator coverage needs work, though. Big holes across much of Metro Detroit.

The 94.3 translator does indeed suck; I never can pick up a signal at full quieting even though 99.9 and 101.5 can be heard clear as a bell here. A few years back, 94.3's signal seemed to have more "oomph" here.

They should consider moving the 104.7 translator in Macomb County to a taller tower site.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:48 pm

WUFL’s studio was in a medical plaza on the other side of the parking lot from my former doctor’s office. It was off Hayes in Clinton Twp in the early 90s when I was a kid. I remember we got a tour of the newsroom after my mom stopped by one afternoon.
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:59 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:48 pm
WUFL’s studio was in a medical plaza on the other side of the parking lot from my former doctor’s office. It was off Hayes in the early 90s when I was a kid. I remember we got a tour of the newsroom after my mom stopped by one afternoon.
Oh wow that's interesting. I admit it's not a station I've really paid much mind to but Relevant has been entering a lot of radio markets as of late, they recently acquired 1520am WPAY Rossford-Toledo Ohio.

My guess is FLR might be looking to streamline operations and 1030 was the odd man out.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:07 am

I suspect their listenership in Metro Detroit was very low. I cannot recall hearing any local programming on there in a few years; only national.

The patchwork of crappy translator signals likely did little to mitigate the limitations of having a daytime-only AM signal, and with WMUZ and WDKL being available on FM signals, there really was very little reason to listen to WUFL.

I will say on a wideband receiver, their audio sounds quite nice for an AM station. They've always had terrific processing.

Macomb County's largest Christian denomination by far is Catholic, so it makes sense for Relevant Radio to want to be there, and like I said above, WUFL's Metro Detroit coverage is vastly superior to that of WDEO (a station whose audio chain has always sounded crummy and whose signal seemingly underperforms projected contours). The Catholic programming, which is teaching centered, is something WDKL, WMUZ and Smile FM do not offer.

FLR got a very good price, in my opinion.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:23 am

WUFL’s studio was in a medical plaza on the other side of the parking lot from my former doctor’s office. It was off Hayes in Clinton Twp in the early 90s when I was a kid. I remember we got a tour of the newsroom after my mom stopped by one afternoon.
You grew up on that side of town?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:23 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:05 pm
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2454 ... anslators/

I had a feeling a Catholic broadcaster would enter the market sooner or later. WUFL has to be one of the last daytime license's that were issued by The FCC, as they signed on in 1988.
i believe they were THE LAST.
when they were testing they were running a loop of 80's hit, i kinda dug it

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:23 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:23 am
*newsroom*?

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:28 am

billmich88888 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:23 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
*newsroom*?
Yes, You should know WUFL was a great source for news in Detroit back in the day. 🤣

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:58 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:07 am

FLR got a very good price, in my opinion.
Here's the reason:

Quote:

"The deal includes the property that houses WUFL’s three tower array since the station’s sign-on in 1988"

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:54 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Grew up here and still here. Lived in Warren since I was two and Center Line before that.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:13 am

I doubt the real estate is worth very much, Colonel. I'm pretty sure the area surrounding the land on which the towers themselves sit is a flood plain for the Clinton River.

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:23 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:13 am
I doubt the real estate is worth very much, Colonel. I'm pretty sure the area surrounding the land on which the towers themselves sit is a flood plain for the Clinton River.
You are correct. There is a flood plain at Heydenreich and Romeo Plank Rd, very near the tower site.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic