Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Family Life Radio WUFL To Transfer To Relevant Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Ben Zonia

Family Life Radio WUFL To Transfer To Relevant Radio

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:43 am

Just saw this today.

Sale price for AM and four translators is $3,100,000.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... b&goBack=N

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15835

Re: Family Life Radio WUFL To Transfer To Relevant Radio

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:05 pm

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2454 ... anslators/

I had a feeling a Catholic broadcaster would enter the market sooner or later. WUFL has to be one of the last daytime license's that were issued by The FCC, as they signed on in 1988.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:10 pm

Well this sucks.
Was hoping one day they'd shut down pesky 94.3 interfering with CKSY.

I hate translator stations!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 pm

I wonder, how long will it be before FLR disappears altogether? Back when I worked in Lansing, I recall one of the FLR guys telling me they were not allowed to play Amy Grant, who was extremely popular at the time. Things have been updated some since then, I'm guessing. This is still a surprise, as WUFL, and the station in Phoenix (the legendary former KRIZ) were supposed to be FLR's crown jewel stations, next to WUGN Midland, which covers a lot of pine trees and cedar swamp.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:24 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:05 pm

I had a feeling a Catholic broadcaster would enter the market sooner or later. WUFL has to be one of the last daytime license's that were issued by The FCC, as they signed on in 1988.
WDEO is already here, and has been for many years. WCAR 1090 was Catholic for awhile as well, so this is hardly the first time we've seen this.

I remember when the poster known as tvbobn built what is now WUFL. He picked up the WDRQ call letters and played music on AM 1030. Too bad I didn't roll tape on that. Maybe tvbobn will see this.
Last edited by Colonel Flagg on Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:33 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 pm
I wonder, how long will it be before FLR disappears altogether? Back when I worked in Lansing, I recall one of the FLR guys telling me they were not allowed to play Amy Grant, who was extremely popular at the time. Things have been updated some since then, I'm guessing. This is still a surprise, as WUFL, and the station in Phoenix (the legendary former KRIZ) were supposed to be FLR's crown jewel stations, next to WUGN Midland, which covers a lot of pine trees and cedar swamp.
I think it was the Vince Gill thing that caused Amy Grant to not be allowed, and not just on FLR stations. Michael DelGiorno plays a lot of her more spiritual themed songs from early in her career on his Nashville Talk show. They are very good. Country and Rock and Roll and fame and fortune tend to have an effect like that on many artists. Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift had a more wholesome image at first also. I don't think Amy Grant has become anywhere near as changed as they have.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:38 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:24 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:05 pm

WDEO is already here, and has been for many years. WCAR 1090 was Catholic for awhile as well, so this is hardly the first time we've seen this.

I remember when the poster known as tvbobn built what is now WUFL. He picked up the WDRQ call letters and played music on AM 1030. Too bad I didn't roll tape on that.
It was a tape loop, seems like it was six hours. tvbobn has recycled quite a few call letters over the years. WHNE, which is now on Channel 3 in Detroit, and WLLZ, now 106.7, are two more. WKNX is now on a TV station in Knoxville. Seems like WWRM was on both the Pinconning and Sterling Heights stations for a short time.

WDEO only gets out really well on the Western parts of Detroit. The Proof of Performance radials for WDEO 990, which is available online on the WMVP 1000 newer dogleg three tower application, demonstrate those limitations. The Hogback area near Ypsilanti and Western Oakland Country are below the M-3 values.

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:25 pm

I didn’t think Relevant Radio would end up on AM 1030, I figured it would get a signal like 1270 or one of the Birach frequencies. This is all very interesting, is the radio economy this bad that FLR just simply is not raking in the cash in Detroit? or is FLR eventually going to sell all radio properties and emphasize on only streaming in the near future? Possibly a trend for all non-commercial Christian radio stations.

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:33 pm

Steve79 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:10 pm
Well this sucks.

I was hoping that both FLR and CKSY would go off the air for good so that pirate broadcaster from Warren (14 Mile and Ryan area) could return 94.3 to the airwaves like he did in the 90’s

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:15 pm

ultrakilocycle wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:33 pm
Steve79 wrote:
Well this sucks.

I was hoping that both FLR and CKSY would go off the air for good so that pirate broadcaster from Warren (14 Mile and Ryan area) could return 94.3 to the airwaves like he did in the 90’s
I don’t remember that. What year?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:38 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:15 pm
ultrakilocycle wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:33 pm
Steve79 wrote:
Well this sucks.

I don’t remember that. What year?
Winter of 1994. Pirate radio was big back then, there were 4 pirate stations working. A station at 106.3 from Downtown Pontiac which was a Spanish station, another station around the Southfield freeway and 8 Mile that did a Top 40 format calling themselves “The Cranker 96.7” and the one in Warren at 94.3 playing Hard Rock and I believe one more at 107.9 from Harper Woods that played Oldies they just simply called themselves Oldies 108.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:07 pm

Amy Grant was shunned even before her affair for "selling out" to the pop audience and becoming "worldly." She's returned to the CCM genre since her pop success dried up, but many evangelicals still haven't forgiven her (ironic). God forbid performers show any sign that they're imperfect human beings.
Oddly, I recently heard "Baby Baby" - the song that really made her a mainstream superstar - on 103.5 WMUZ... the home of ultra-right-wing Christian nationalist talk host Bob Dutko. Most CCM stations don't touch her music with a ten-foot pole anymore (except at Christmas), though ageism may play a part in that as well.
Last edited by ChrisWL1980 on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:32 pm

Something something cancel culture something something snowflakes.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:44 pm

ultrakilocycle wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:25 pm
I didn’t think Relevant Radio would end up on AM 1030, I figured it would get a signal like 1270 or one of the Birach frequencies. This is all very interesting, is the radio economy this bad that FLR just simply is not raking in the cash in Detroit? or is FLR eventually going to sell all radio properties and emphasize on only streaming in the near future? Possibly a trend for all non-commercial Christian radio stations.
I was thinking 1270 myself or possibly 1130. Now the one I thought would disappear was Family Radio, not be confused with Family Life Radio. When Harold Camping Predicted the end of the world.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:00 pm

WDEO Proofs Of Performance 1997, from WMVP Application.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Att ... &exhcnum=3

At 20 miles in the maximum direction, 16 degrees true, the average measured conductivity along the radial is about 3 mS/m, the signal field is 0.55 X 14.43=7.9365 mV/m.

At 20 miles in the maximum direction, 16 degrees true, the estimated conductivity from M-3 is 8 mS/m, the signal field is 1.75 X 14.43=25.2525 mV/m.

So by the time you get to West Bloomfield Township, you have about 8 mV/m instead of 25 mV/m.

The 270 degree radial of WUFL also shows a decline once you get past Dequindre, and even more once you get past Telegraph, down to 3-4 mS/m by the time you get to 20 miles, if you look at the points on the graph beyond 20 miles, 32 km or so, which are quite a bit below the matched curve.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Att ... &exhcnum=2

The station in North Ridgefield on 1040 has been deleted, giving WUFL the opportunity to let out the nulls and increase to the South toward Detroit, and on the other symmetric side, toward the Thumb, which lost service with the new pattern.

The two stations together mostly serve Metro Detroit.
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic