Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Family Life Radio WUFL To Transfer To Relevant Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Family Life Radio WUFL To Transfer To Relevant Radio

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:29 am

The old golf course (it's not there anymore) off Romeo Plank north of Cass used to flood like crazy whenever the Clinton River ran high.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:38 pm

ultrakilocycle wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:23 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:13 am
I doubt the real estate is worth very much, Colonel. I'm pretty sure the area surrounding the land on which the towers themselves sit is a flood plain for the Clinton River.
You are correct. There is a flood plain at Heydenreich and Romeo Plank Rd, very near the tower site.
That probably explains the excellent signal. AM facilities work better with "wet feet". If I recall, the WUFL transmitter shack sits on a long, shared driveway to a secluded home that sits along the north branch of the Clinton River.

Looking now at Google Earth, that area is a lot more built up than it was in 1988. There's a newer subdivision just north of the shared lane to the transmitter building. The house at the end of the lane is still there, but a little less secluded.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:35 am

billmich88888 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:23 am
Riff Raff wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:05 pm
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2454 ... anslators/

I had a feeling a Catholic broadcaster would enter the market sooner or later. WUFL has to be one of the last daytime license's that were issued by The FCC, as they signed on in 1988.
i believe they were THE LAST.
when they were testing they were running a loop of 80's hit, i kinda dug it
Ah ok, I had to figure they were or close to it. As mentioned, with K-love and WMUZ, there was really no point to tune into FLR.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:00 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:38 pm
ultrakilocycle wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:23 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:13 am
I doubt the real estate is worth very much, Colonel. I'm pretty sure the area surrounding the land on which the towers themselves sit is a flood plain for the Clinton River.
You are correct. There is a flood plain at Heydenreich and Romeo Plank Rd, very near the tower site.
That probably explains the excellent signal. AM facilities work better with "wet feet". If I recall, the WUFL transmitter shack sits on a long, shared driveway to a secluded home that sits along the north branch of the Clinton River.

Looking now at Google Earth, that area is a lot more built up than it was in 1988. There's a newer subdivision just north of the shared lane to the transmitter building. The house at the end of the lane is still there, but a little less secluded.
Oddly enough, if you look at the measured values close to the towers, they really aren't very good. Maybe the dry weather drained the swamp that year.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 am

My mom lives about 2 or 3 miles east as the crow flies from that site. I always thought it was great (as a daytimer) to be able to see the tower array and pick up WBZ like a local at night.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:18 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 am
My mom lives about 2 or 3 miles east as the crow flies from that site. I always thought it was great (as a daytimer) to be able to see the tower array and pick up WBZ like a local at night.
It's barely outside the 0.5 mV/m 50% Skywave contour of WBZ.

Zoom in on the Skywave Contour and you'll see.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=25444

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:22 am

Some of the towers are in the flood plane. The bases were elevated for this reason.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:27 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:18 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

Wow. Barely is an understatement! It's a nose hair!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:18 am

Some of the towers are in the flood plane. The bases were elevated for this reason.
Indeed, the USGS topographic map does show the tower site is situated on a hill or mound of sorts, which is surrounded by low lying land vulnerable to flooding.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:44 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:27 am
Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:18 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

Wow. Barely is an understatement! It's a nose hair!
WHFB 1060 is just barely outside out the KYW 1060 0.5 mV/m 50% Skywave Contour, but far enough to be 1.3 watts at Night. WUFL would be less than a watt.

-Author Unknown

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:39 am

now do WKAR and 870.......I find this fascinating about "what 'could' be allowed".....

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:02 pm
WUFL's signal is a complete blowtorch in heavily Catholic areas of Macomb County, but it's daytime only.
The problem with Catholic radio is that the majority of its audience isn't Catholic! Most Catholics (self-identifying not necessarily religious) will keep listening to whatever they already listen too. Catholic radio has done nothing to stop their jaw dropping decline in the Midwest and Northeast.

The only good thing I can say for Relevant is that they sound pretty professional for such a low budget operation.

Any time a Catholic radio station signs on it rarely has to do with local support. I doubt any Church or wealthy family had anything to do with funding this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was met by silence from the AoD, save for a nice write up piece next spring in their news mailout.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:07 am

If the station has a license to run 1.3W at night, if they do actually run a 1 watt AM transmitter overnights, then technically they can leave it's associated connected FM translator on- correct?
The 1560 Toledo "Daytimer" (old WTOD) dropped from 5KW, to 1.5KW, to 1KW days, and gets one watt at night so as not to interfere with NYC. Never hear a peep on 1560 sitting in their parking lot though, so, I wonder how that can be skirted? Even AM560 Monroe runs its couple of night time watts from Detroit, IIRC?

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:23 am

A1B1C1D1 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:50 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:02 pm
WUFL's signal is a complete blowtorch in heavily Catholic areas of Macomb County, but it's daytime only.
The problem with Catholic radio is that the majority of its audience isn't Catholic! Most Catholics (self-identifying not necessarily religious) will keep listening to whatever they already listen too. Catholic radio has done nothing to stop their jaw dropping decline in the Midwest and Northeast.

The only good thing I can say for Relevant is that they sound pretty professional for such a low budget operation.

Any time a Catholic radio station signs on it rarely has to do with local support. I doubt any Church or wealthy family had anything to do with funding this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was met by silence from the AoD, save for a nice write up piece next spring in their news mailout.
Which could be why The Catholics didn't really get heavily into radio until the last decade or so, whereas there protestant counterparts have been on the radio since radio was nearly invented.

I was raised in fairly secular home but I did have The Catholic experience, basically because my grandparents on my mom's side were really into it and believe " The Children will be raised Catholic. I never got much from it myself, only that I hated going to CCD on Wednesday nights :lol .

Anyhow, Relevant radio recently came on down my way, by The Ohio-Michigan Line, on 1520am. So, I decided to check it out, out of curiosity. All I could think of was " I never heard that" " I don't remember that" " OMG! are you serious?".

What I'm getting at is, a lot of Catholics really don't follow everything the church teaches them. Whereas Protestants tend to take Church and Religion a bit more seriously, many Catholics really don't Now the ones that do, lets just say they really make it a full contact sport.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:29 pm

Sounds like the switch to Relevant Radio has taken place. I'm hearing their programming on the 94.3 translator right now, which is broadcasting in monaural (good decision).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic