Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Steve Stewart, former WJR PD, The Car Show host

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Steve Stewart, former WJR PD, The Car Show host

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:56 am

https://www.fisherfuneralhome.net/obitu ... e-stewart/

I certainly wasn't expecting to see this.

I didn't always see eye to eye with Steve. He was one of those "fear is a good motivator" managers. On the good side, he had a take charge attitude. In an emergency, he rolled up his sleeves, and got to work, right there with you. 9/11, and the 2003 blackout comes to mind.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

thekman

Re: Steve Stewart, former WJR PD, The Car Show host

Post by thekman » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:42 am

deleted
Last edited by thekman on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:56 am

The man just died, can't you show SOME respect? I've been seeing this lack of respect a lot lately, mainly from younger people, with differences of opinion with the person of various descriptions. Most people refrain from this, even then.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:32 pm

thekman wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:42 am
I’m not in radio, but I worked in the world of sports, and in my duties had interactions with various people in TV and radio. One of the rudest interactions I ever had was with this man. It was so unexpected that I honestly kind of dismissed it at the time and assumed he was having a bad day. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and figured maybe his dog had died that morning or something. But if he tried to manage through fear, as you say, maybe my interaction with him was not an aberration. Not that it mattered too much, as WJR was not really a strong candidate to begin with for what we wanted, but he certainly solidified our lack of interest.
May it be possible that you were the problem? Maybe you had a bad day or your dog died. Just figured that could be a possibility or as they say “just saying”. Anyway R.I.P. Steve you will be missed by most of us.

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Meh

rushbuzz1013

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:56 am
The man just died, can't you show SOME respect? I've been seeing this lack of respect a lot lately, mainly from younger people, with differences of opinion with the person of various descriptions. Most people refrain from this, even then.
I have to agree. Geez people. Vent your grievances at another time. Have some tact.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:53 pm

As I said, Steve had his good points. If he called asking "How fast can you get to the station?" he was either already there, or on his way. Unlike most radio station managers today, Steve could walk into the studio and go on-air, unprepared. There's not many guys like that around anymore.

Longtime WJR producer Brian Morton has apparently taken over Steve's duties as leader of "The Car Show"

From the show's website:

We here at The C.A.R. Show are very sad to announce that our dear friend Steve Stewart has passed away. If you're a regular listener, you know that Steve loved to tease all of us relentlessly, it was the way he showed that he loved you. But, if Steve was your friend, there was NOTHING that he wouldn't do for you!

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic