Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fox 2’s OTA signal

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MotorCityRadioFreak

Fox 2’s OTA signal

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:02 pm

I have had problems with Fox 2’s OTA signal since 10 AM. Every other channel comes in fine. Lived here in Warren my whole life and never had a problem. Anyone else?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

FredLeonard

Re: Fox 2’s OTA signal

Post by FredLeonard » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:24 pm

Details, please. What exactly is the problem? What kind of antenna do you have? Keep in mind that "2" is really channel seven (VHF), and every other station in town - regardless of channel number, is really UHF. The so called HD antennas are pretty much useless on VHF. Absent any information about what your problem is, the first place to look is interference. In addition to describing the problem, does it happen all the time or just some times (if so, when)? Has it always happened or is this something new?

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:14 am

FredLeonard wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:24 pm
Details, please. What exactly is the problem? What kind of antenna do you have? Keep in mind that "2" is really channel seven (VHF), and every other station in town - regardless of channel number, is really UHF. The so called HD antennas are pretty much useless on VHF. Absent any information about what your problem is, the first place to look is interference. In addition to describing the problem, does it happen all the time or just some times (if so, when)? Has it always happened or is this something new?
The HD antenna is useful at getting local OTA channels. Its the new smart HD tvs that are useless.
I have a older 2006 flatscreen non smart tv and works great at getting Detroit Local OTA channels with the HD antenna.

Swap that out with a 2021 smart tv and poor Signal or no signal to get the channels. The antenna is still the same spot.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:18 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:02 pm
I have had problems with Fox 2’s OTA signal since 10 AM. Every other channel comes in fine. Lived here in Warren my whole life and never had a problem. Anyone else?
No problems in West Bloomfield. Which is shocking because Fox and CBS are the worst offenders. I wish all broadcasting station switch back to analog. It was much better and not a pain to watch the stations.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:38 pm

FredLeonard wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:24 pm
Pixelation and marginal signal were and remain the problem. This is all new to this TV.Used the same HD antenna since 2017 with no changes to the position. It has happened since yesterday morning. Totally new.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:35 am

Okay, after adjusting the antenna for a long time, Fox 2 is good again.

Audacity sucks.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:25 am

What is an "HD antenna"?

For Detroit OTA, you need at a minimum an antenna with elements for high-VHF (7-13) and UHF. WJBK (VHF 7) and CBET (VHF 9) are the only two channels in the Detroit area on VHF.

Depending on your area, WTOL (VHF 11), WTVG (VHF 13) and WJRT (VHF 12) are high-VHF channels in surrounding markets.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:16 pm

Not to be pedantic, but WHNE and it's hundred useless subchannels are also on VHF 3. Takes my smart TV forever to change channels from WJBK to WDIV because it only scrolls up and down slowly; I can't type a channel number. Nuisance.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:05 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:16 pm
Not to be pedantic, but WHNE and it's hundred useless subchannels are also on VHF 3. Takes my smart TV forever to change channels from WJBK to WDIV because it only scrolls up and down slowly; I can't type a channel number. Nuisance.
That's really not a very "smart" TV, then! You should at least have the ability to directly enter a channel number, or, to set up what channels get viewed using the Ch Up/Down button and skip unwanted ones.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:55 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:05 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:16 pm
That's really not a very "smart" TV, then! You should at least have the ability to directly enter a channel number, or, to set up what channels get viewed using the Ch Up/Down button and skip unwanted ones.
It's the remote's fault. I bought the TV on a discount because the remote was missing, so I bought a universal remote that doesn't interface well with both the "smart" apps and the regular TV tuning. I can actually type the number, and it shows up on the screen, but apparently you have to press "Enter" or something for it to work, and the remote doesn't have the enter button that works. It's a long story with this TV; don't get me started.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:16 pm

Can't the real remote be ordered or is it not worth it to you?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:45 pm

Not worth it to me. Side story: I don't like using that TV in the living room because it's mounted above the fireplace. I HATE it up there; the bottom of that TV is higher than the top of my head. I've been told its location there is good for the decor and arrangement of the room. I was (and still am) overruled on that decision to mount it there. So even if I had the right remote, I wouldn't use the TV much because I don't want more nerve damage in my neck after an injury.

I usually use my HDTV in the basement for my main TV. I bought that one in 2008 before Smart TV's. It's been amazing since day one.

Please, everyone, stop mounting TV's above fireplaces. It's horrible and cheesy. Guests hate it. Your living room isn't an office or a bar. Gosh I can't describe how much I hate TV's mounted above fireplaces.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:24 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:45 pm
Not worth it to me. Side story: I don't like using that TV in the living room because it's mounted above the fireplace. I HATE it up there; the bottom of that TV is higher than the top of my head. I've been told its location there is good for the decor and arrangement of the room. I was (and still am) overruled on that decision to mount it there. So even if I had the right remote, I wouldn't use the TV much because I don't want more nerve damage in my neck after an injury.

I usually use my HDTV in the basement for my main TV. I bought that one in 2008 before Smart TV's. It's been amazing since day one.

Please, everyone, stop mounting TV's above fireplaces. It's horrible and cheesy. Guests hate it. Your living room isn't an office or a bar. Gosh I can't describe how much I hate TV's mounted above fireplaces.
I don't get the appeal of that myself, I just have 40in TV on a stand. I tried putting on a Coffee table I had but it was too low and then tried it on this antique long dresser I have, that used to have an aquarium on it. Too high. So, went to Walmart and got a stand.

My small house is kept up neatly and clean but it's lived in, no fancy décor. A lot of the stuff is 2nd hand. If tried to mount a TV on the wall, my cats would find someway to knock it down.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:18 am

10000 percent agree with ya, Zenith.

Wall mounting is fine (if done properly) but mounting above a fireplace mantel is indeed a recipe for neck damage.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:42 am

Just as a note... just about ANY old Comcast remote can be programmed for virtually any TV, for most functions. Many of them also have customizable keys to fit some unique need for certain TVs, it just takes a little digging to get the right code. Some can also do one-button "macros". I probably have a half-dozen of those old remotes laying around, but if you don't you could probably ask around and find a friend or someone in the family who has one that's collecting dust somewhere.
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:45 pm
Geez, do I agree with this!! Can't believe how many "high end" houses I've been in where folks do that!! Save that space for some useless artwork!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic