Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Crumbley found guilty

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
matt1

Crumbley found guilty

Post by matt1 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:59 pm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Crumbley found guilty

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:33 pm

Technically, he entered a guilty plea.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:33 pm
Technically, he entered a guilty plea.
Yea, it sounds like they just accepted the guilty plea. I heard one of the family lawyers say they'll still get their day in court though, when they go through the civil trial. I thought part of the reason to accept a guilty plea was so that the families would not have to relive the events through discussions during a trial. Guess that might not be so important.

And it doesn't seem like there would be a monetary advantage to seeking civil damages, unless the family has resources that I haven't heard about.

The court doesn't have to accept a guilty plea do they? I would imagine in most cases it would make the most sense though.

EDIT: rethinking that last paragraph. I'd think if there weren't any conditions the defendant put on the guilty plea (like less time or avoiding death) then I'm not really sure the could could reject the guilty plea. Anyone know the real answer?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:51 pm

They don’t HAVE to, but it does save the resources. They take the deal the prosecution offers or take their chances with the judge. I'm not 100% why they would reject a plea, though.

Maybe it's a "no contest" they can reject?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:58 pm

How much discretion does a judge get in deciding to accept/reject a guilty plea (plea bargain) that is agreed to by the prosecution and defense? Are there limits on that or no?

In any case...
Crumbley dropped a bombshell in admitting to his crimes, telling the judge that he gave his father money to buy him the gun that he used in the mass shooting, and that the gun was easily accessible — contradicting his parents' claims that the gun was securely stored.

"It was not locked," Ethan Crumbley said in court.
This absolutely doubles as strategy, with regards to the over-arching prosecution, with his plea now being admissible in his parents' trial.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:14 pm

I'm no expert but a judge can absolutely reject a plea agreement.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:06 am

This kid is 15 years old. Yes, he was tried as an adult. But he's still 15 years old.

Like Craig just said "I'm no expert but ..".
I can't shag the feeling the defense is playing the long game. Have Ethan serve a few years. Then go back to court and ask the questions:

"Is it fair to hold accountable a spoiled 15 year old who got anything he wanted?""
"What parents just give their unsupervised 15 year old a gun?".

Seeing as he's already served some time, that defense just may afford him the opportunity to stroll out of jail.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:26 pm

He confessed in open court, that means that he is guilty. He is guilty, that means that he doesn't need a trial. He doesn't need a trial, so that means instead of being 'executed by firing squad', he gets 'shot'.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic