Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Does anyone have a polka show in Detroit?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Turkeytop

Re: Does anyone have a polka show in Detroit?

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:33 pm

WMIC covers much of South West Ontario. As far east as London and as far north as the Bruce Peninsula.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:05 pm

The reception map is useful, as attempts to hear WMIC via the internet gives WBGV-FM's broadcast.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:10 pm

ShempLives wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:05 pm
The reception map is useful, as attempts to hear WMIC via the internet gives WBGV-FM's broadcast.
Internet streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:36 pm

Decent reception away from the water is tough to come by if one is trying to listen more than 5 or 10 miles outside the red contour.

I used to be able to get a barely passable daytime signal from 660 in the car when I lived in Warren. Now that I'm about eight miles farther west, the signal is simply too faint.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:36 pm
Decent reception away from the water is tough to come by if one is trying to listen more than 5 or 10 miles outside the red contour.

I used to be able to get a barely passable daytime signal from 660 in the car when I lived in Warren. Now that I'm about eight miles farther west, the signal is simply too faint.
London ON is about 40 miles inland and somewhere around the purple line. I can't get it inside the city due to man made RF interference. But outside the city I get decent reception in the car. Last summer we were at Port Elgin, ON on Lake Huron, about mid-way between the purple and blue lines. I was getting excellent reception on a Grundig portable.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:49 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:03 pm
The polka show in Saginaw was on WKCQ Sunday.
Doubt an FM stick made it to London Ontario. I'd bet on one of the AM's. WKNX was 10,000 directional pointed toward the thumb, that may have hit London. They did have to sign off at sundown because of a 50 thousand clear channel out of PA though.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:26 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:49 pm
Willie108 wrote:
Doubt an FM stick made it to London Ontario. I'd bet on one of the AM's. WKNX was 10,000 directional pointed toward the thumb, that may have hit London. They did have to sign off at sundown because of a 50 thousand clear channel out of PA though.
That jogs my memory. I believe it may have been WKNX. Back in those days I wasn't yet living in London. I was still up north in Bruce County, on Lake Huron.

The reason I remember WKNX is because, up in that area we had CKNX.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:14 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:26 pm
Bryce wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:49 pm
Willie108 wrote:
That jogs my memory. I believe it may have been WKNX. Back in those days I wasn't yet living in London. I was still up north in Bruce County, on Lake Huron.

The reason I remember WKNX is because, up in that area we had CKNX.
Makes perfect sense. Bruce County, Ontario was pretty much a straight line of WKNX's directional signal with nothing but water in the way.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:20 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:14 am
Makes perfect sense. Bruce County, Ontario was pretty much a straight line of WKNX's directional signal with nothing but water in the way.
Back in those days, I hadn't once even visited London. It wasn't even on my radar that I would some day I might be living there.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:25 pm

Wyandotte Connex channel 15 still runs an old polka show a couple times a day. Newest episodes of that show appear to be from about 2005.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:24 pm

Before I retired I spent a lot of time on the road between Windsor ON and London ON. There was an AM station from somewhere in Ohio that had on a Polka program every afternoon on weekdays.

ConstipatedListener

Post by ConstipatedListener » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:28 am

Hey. There's an online stream called "Goodtime Radio WRQJ" from Appleton, WI which plays polka music 24/7. Then there's a station (over the air) known as WOES "The Polka Palace" from Ovid-Elsie High School that plays polka music in mid-Michigan. Both of these are available on TuneIn.

ConstipatedListener

Post by ConstipatedListener » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:49 am

Of course, neither of these are accessible from a radio in the Detroit Area.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic