Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is DTE's ad $$$ influencing local media coverage of power outages?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Is DTE's ad $$$ influencing local media coverage of power outages?

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:02 pm

Only about 5/8ths of those who lost power about 72 hours ago have seen their power restored, yet the Freep and Detroit News seemingly stopped reporting on the big number of remaining outages a day ago, and Loco 4 no longer is reporting on the situation (at least not in an easy to find manner) on its web site, either.

Despite great weather today and "3,000 people working in the field" (I don't believe that number for a split second), power restoration seems behind DTE's own schedule.

This makes me wonder - is the lack of negative press due to DTE's copious ad spending at area media outlets?

Channel 7 is the only outlet who seems to be putting significant attention on the matter today.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

edj

Re: Is DTE's ad $$$ influencing local media coverage of power outages?

Post by edj » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:27 pm

They're buying loads of ads on WJR. Haven't heard much from their local hosts.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:02 pm
Only about 5/8ths of those who lost power about 72 hours ago have seen their power restored, yet the Freep and Detroit News seemingly stopped reporting on the big number of remaining outages a day ago, and Loco 4 no longer is reporting on the situation (at least not in an easy to find manner) on its web site, either.

Despite great weather today and "3,000 people working in the field" (I don't believe that number for a split second), power restoration seems behind DTE's own schedule.

This makes me wonder - is the lack of negative press due to DTE's copious ad spending at area media outlets?

Channel 7 is the only outlet who seems to be putting significant attention on the matter today.
They have out of state crews in. I do believe the number, having worked there in the past. We had several micro bursts on Monday in metro Detroit. You could almost draw a line down 8 Mile from Southfield Rd to Schoenherr with 95% of the corridor losing power.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:57 pm

I wonder if they poured all that money they use for advertising into plant maintenance and improvements if it'd be a bit more robust.

They're a utility... What do they really need to advertise for anyways?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:07 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:57 pm
I wonder if they poured all that money they use for advertising into plant maintenance and improvements if it'd be a bit more robust.

They're a utility... What do they really need to advertise for anyways?
PR and such. They want major grid improvements funded by a rate hike. The Michigan Public Service Commission is considering their proposal now but it has garnered some public opposition. We probably need the improvements badly at this point.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:20 pm

No, DTE advertises to keep Consumers from expanding into their territory. About 30 years ago, Consumers wanted to expand and take Ann Arbor for its coverage area for both electric and gas. It's a cold war between Consumers and DTE. I worked there from 2009 to 2013(also left on bad terms but that's a long story for a different day. I had a conversation with a supervisor who was about to retire and originally from Ann Arbor.

As far as the storm outages, there were 300K total affected by the storm on Monday. DTE said 80% of the people would be restored by midnight Thursday night and Friday morning. Currently, there are 59,800 out. Does anyone know what 80% of 300K is? 60K. Well done, DTE.

Now, if we want to talk rates and burn them at the stake for that, I am all for it.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:41 am

Put the power lines underground so you don't lose power during these types of storms. I didn't lose power where I lived not a flicker either hardly heard thunder I went in the utility room when I was watching Wood TV when they said the storm was going to be on top at 3:53PM with 10 minute lead time. I thought that Consumers & DTE were the best of pals and helped each other out when storms hit like on Monday why is there bad blood between them both?
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:00 am

MasterB wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:41 am
Put the power lines underground so you don't lose power during these types of storms. I didn't lose power where I lived not a flicker either hardly heard thunder I went in the utility room when I was watching Wood TV when they said the storm was going to be on top at 3:53PM with 10 minute lead time. I thought that Consumers & DTE were the best of pals and helped each other out when storms hit like on Monday why is there bad blood between them both?
Market share, market share, market share....But trust me, Consumers did want to take DTE's electric business in Ann Arbor.

Audacity sucks.

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:00 pm

I believe we are #1 or #2 for the frequency of power outages in the US. This was from an article earlier this year. That's why people are upset. It shouldn't go out every single time there's a storm with winds over 20 MPH.

Herm

Post by Herm » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:28 pm

Maybe they could find some money by trimming the salaries and benefits of their executive board. I don’t know how those people sleep at night.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:59 pm

DTE staff admitted me that one line tripped out during the storm, and it took them 3 days to verify there was nothing wrong with the line and to reenergize it.

Wow! That's mismanagement.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:30 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:59 pm
DTE staff admitted me that one line tripped out during the storm, and it took them 3 days to verify there was nothing wrong with the line and to reenergize it.

I don't know that's really mismanagement. Perhaps an "overabundance of caution".

IIRC, someone re-energized a section in Roseville the other day but there was a downed line on someone's house. Burned the house to the ground.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 pm

audiophile wrote:

There were at 300K out, Mr. A. They are working 16 hour days. Give 'em a break!
Maybe they could find some money by trimming the salaries and benefits of their executive board. I don’t know how those people sleep at night.
True, but that isn't how corporate America works.

Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:25 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 pm
audiophile wrote:

It also takes hours to get this right and make it all work. I watched them outside my house on Wednesday… man it took forever.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:30 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:25 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 pm
audiophile wrote:

It also takes hours to get this right and make it all work. I watched them outside my house on Wednesday… man it took forever.
It does for sure.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic