Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBC Discusses Ending Prime-Time Lineup at 10pm

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
lush.rimbaugh

NBC Discusses Ending Prime-Time Lineup at 10pm

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:38 pm

"NBC executives have had discussions about ending the network’s prime-time lineup at 10 p.m. and turning the hour over to local stations, according to two people with knowledge of the talks.

With the fall schedule set, the earliest NBC could turn its 10 p.m. hour into local programming would be more than a year away. There have also been discussions about taking NBC’s late-night franchise, “The Tonight Show,” and moving it up earlier, possibly to 11 p.m., a departure from its longstanding 11:30 slot."

Very interesting story here, and it makes a lot of sense, especially with the shift from linear to streaming, and with declining ratings and NBC investing a lot of money and resources into Peacock. I could absolutely see this happening, and ABC (with ties to Disney+) and CBS (with ties to Paramount+) watching closely - or even facing demands from their own affiliates to follow suit.

I'd imagine that WDIV would lauch a 10-11pm newscast, and Fallon following at 11.30pm. I even saw one article mention Leno could come back. :rollin

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/26/busi ... -time.html
Last edited by lush.rimbaugh on Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

format this

Re: NBC Discusses Ending Prime-Time Lineup at 10pm,

Post by format this » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:51 pm

Jay Leno currently hosts the rebooted “You Bet Your Life” in syndication. I could see Leno at 11 and Fallon at 11:30. Not a bad idea, if you’re into Leno and Fallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

edj

Post by edj » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:17 pm

That was speculated years ago if Leno’s 10PM show flopped and Conan stayed on The Tonight Show.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:39 am

lush.rimbaugh wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:38 pm
.... I'd imagine that WDIV would lauch a 10-11pm newscast, and Fallon following at 11.30pm ....
Since Letterman was still on, I pondered the pros and cons of CBS62 moving the Late Show up five minutes. Try to "shag" viewers that didn't really care what 4 or 7 was talking about at the end of their newscast.

I throw this out for y'all to chew on. WDIV doing the Local from 10 to 11, and then go to Fallon at 11. Pros and cons? How many viewers would be more interested in watching a talk show instead of the news? How many Channel Seven viewers would change channels at 11?

Seems to me people that are interested in the news have already caught it at 10 on 2 or 20. Or if this change happens, have already watched it on 4. What do you think?
Last edited by Deleted User 15783 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:40 pm

The Jay Leno version of You Bet Your Life stinks.

Fox 2 in Detroit airs it at 11:30p. I watched a portion of one episode. I don't plan on watching again.

If NBC shaves an hour off its prime time schedule, I think the most likely outcome is 90 minutes of local news.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:40 pm
I was always a big fan of Leno's Tonight Show, but I have to agree. This show's format is just not the right vehicle for Leno's talent. I'd much rather watch him do a 10 minute monologue and a 10 minute comedy bit during a half hour show.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:15 pm

I’d rather see Leno focus on cars. He’s never been funny.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:08 pm

Aren't network viewers pushing 60+ years old these days? They don't stay up late.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:37 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Fox 2 in Detroit airs it at 11:30p. I watched a portion of one episode. I don't plan on watching again.

If NBC shaves an hour off its prime time schedule, I think the most likely outcome is 90 minutes of local news.
IF WDIV was smart, they would add a primetime flashpoint at 10 PM or 10:30. Do people really want regular news for 90 minutes in a row? At least Fox 2 does "Let It Rip" a few nights a week.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:49 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:37 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

IF WDIV was smart, they would add a primetime flashpoint at 10 PM or 10:30. Do people really want regular news for 90 minutes in a row? At least Fox 2 does "Let It Rip" a few nights a week.
That would be too smart…

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:54 pm

It was back in 1998 that CBS channel 62 showed "Late Show With David Letterman" at 11:00 instead of 11:35!!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:49 pm

Despite the advent of communications satellites and videotape (which since then has been replaced by the advent of high speed fiber optic data transmission and media servers) Phoenix has proudly retained Mountain Standard Time zone program scheduling. Primetime begins at 7:00pm and concludes at 10:00pm. Late night programing begins at 10:30pm and concludes at 12:30am.

By all accounts the viewing public has not only survived but have seemingly thrived. Be brave Motor City.

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:20 am

My mentioning Leno is no comment on my thoughts of him - I didn' t like him as Tonight Show host and I think he did the dirty on Conan. When Leno flopped at 10pm streaming was not a thing. It flopped mostly because affiliates hated the bad lead-in for their news. An 11pm half hour of him doing his stale jokes and 'headlines' and a quick guest/musical act could have a potential audience pre-Fallon, especially given Leno's popularity with older folks. Someone mentioned above that shows like the Tonight Show have viewers 60+. They're not wrong.

Linear television is dying at worst, and on life support at best. I'm in my late 40s, and I don't know anyone my age or younger who watches network TV 'live' except for sports or 'event TV' like the Oscars. It would be a good business decision for NBC to put its money into streaming and to give that hour back to affiliates. But why give them 90 minutes when they can start late night at 11pm? And given that NBC is thinking of uploading Fallon and Meyers for Peacock subscribers to access from 8pm, it makes sense to run them at 11. If this happens, I guarantee that ABC and CBS will follow suit quickly.

Given that 4 has the dominant news in Detroit, I can't see them do anything other than run one hour of news, but I could see 2 or 62 do something different with that hour to help differentiate. 20 would get their hour back to run a syndicated show.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:42 am

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

To Kill 10 O’Clock Primetime, What Is NBC Really Thinking?

"Perhaps the biggest question of all is about NBC’s strategy for the future. Do they have one, or are they so blinded by streaming that the 10:00 p.m. idea is another sign they no longer see local stations as long-term partners? That would be a very bad decision for both parties."

https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/art ... -thinking/

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:20 am

lush.rimbaugh wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:20 am
My mentioning Leno is no comment on my thoughts of him - I didn' t like him as Tonight Show host and I think he did the dirty on Conan. When Leno flopped at 10pm streaming was not a thing. It flopped mostly because affiliates hated the bad lead-in for their news. An 11pm half hour of him doing his stale jokes and 'headlines' and a quick guest/musical act could have a potential audience pre-Fallon, especially given Leno's popularity with older folks. Someone mentioned above that shows like the Tonight Show have viewers 60+. They're not wrong.

Linear television is dying at worst, and on life support at best. I'm in my late 40s, and I don't know anyone my age or younger who watches network TV 'live' except for sports or 'event TV' like the Oscars. It would be a good business decision for NBC to put its money into streaming and to give that hour back to affiliates. But why give them 90 minutes when they can start late night at 11pm? And given that NBC is thinking of uploading Fallon and Meyers for Peacock subscribers to access from 8pm, it makes sense to run them at 11. If this happens, I guarantee that ABC and CBS will follow suit quickly.

Given that 4 has the dominant news in Detroit, I can't see them do anything other than run one hour of news, but I could see 2 or 62 do something different with that hour to help differentiate. 20 would get their hour back to run a syndicated show.
Some of primetime is done in by being so late… if you have to be up at 5am you probably aren’t wasting your time at 1135 catching an hour of a late night show… there may be a subset of people who don’t tune in and don’t bother to record this stuff either because it’s a bother to set it up and the as it airs is too late.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic