Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NOAA Weather Radio On again, Off again

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

NOAA Weather Radio On again, Off again

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:57 pm

Not sure what the trouble is, but it seems to be fine, goes off air, and comes back on a couple hours later. Buffalo was drifting in the other morning, overpowering Cleveland.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 15840

Re: NOAA Weather Radio On again, Off again

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:04 pm

Our tax dollars are hard at work.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:57 pm
Not sure what the trouble is, but it seems to be fine, goes off air, and comes back on a couple hours later. Buffalo was drifting in the other morning, overpowering Cleveland.
Phone line problems between White Lake and the transmitter in Southfield.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:11 pm

Relying on old fashioned phone lines is about as wise as relying on the Lions to win a playoff game. 😁

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 am

Not to be argumentative, but I'm not buying the boiler plate "phone lines" excuse.

Phone lines wouldn't knock out the transmitter, allowing me to hear NOAA from Buffalo. Dead air is what would be heard...no audio. That aside, an internet based STL wouldn't be any less flimsy. We all heard what a pile of shit (hat tip to MW) :lol that was during COVID, on many radio stations.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:18 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 am
Not to be argumentative, but I'm not buying the boiler plate "phone lines" excuse.

Phone lines wouldn't knock out the transmitter, allowing me to hear NOAA from Buffalo. Dead air is what would be heard...no audio. That aside, an internet based STL wouldn't be any less flimsy. We all heard what a pile of shit (hat tip to MW) :lol that was during COVID, on many radio stations.
The voice is in White Lake… the phone line sends the voice to Southfield where the transmitter blasts it out. Absent a signal you’re gonna get bleed over from adjacent signals on the same frequency. You were hearing dead air AND then a weak signal carrying over across the lake and not running into something that overpowers it. Incidentally if the atmospherics are right some of those stations do come in from a long ways. It’s not a standard radio signal in an FM or AM band. It’s in the 162xxx range. More along the lines of railroad or marine radio. A little different thing.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:35 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:18 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:

The voice is in White Lake… the phone line sends the voice to Southfield where the transmitter blasts it out. Absent a signal you’re gonna get bleed over from adjacent signals on the same frequency. You were hearing dead air AND then a weak signal carrying over across the lake and not running into something that overpowers it. Incidentally if the atmospherics are right some of those stations do come in from a long ways. It’s not a standard radio signal in an FM or AM band. It’s in the 162xxx range. More along the lines of railroad or marine radio. A little different thing.
Thanks for the tutorial, but there was never a dead carrier. When it was off, the transmitter was off. Believe me, having been around radio stations for 45+ years, I know "dead air" when I hear it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:20 pm

Not sure if it's even technically feasible, but is it possible the TX shuts off automatically if there is no phone line audio after a certain length of time?

It does seem odd that most NWS offices attribute most weather radio service outages to phone line issues.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:02 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:35 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:18 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:

Thanks for the tutorial, but there was never a dead carrier. When it was off, the transmitter was off. Believe me, having been around radio stations for 45+ years, I know "dead air" when I hear it.
Dead air… silence with you then hearing bleed over from somewhere to the east… it’s common on those stations especially the ones where there isn’t a signal present around here… that’s my point. In the absence of a signal it did the same thing. For example… there are 7 channels to the system.. if you are listening to 7 that’s the Detroit station. If you turn it to 6 on some days you will hear Toledo (broadcast from Cleveland NWS) and other days you will hear a really static filled echo of channel 7. All dependent on atmospherics.

Yes I am their only regular listener.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic