Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WXYZ leads with fake weather news at 5PM

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WXYZ leads with fake weather news at 5PM

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:01 pm

Nice bullshit headlines and weather forecast advising of flood potential to lead off at 5PM.

The upper level dynamics are not at all conducive of a significant heavy rain threat in SE Michigan. The best forcing is near and south of the state line. Any precip that forms here will be very spotty and fast moving.

Cannot believe 7 led with that bullshit weather headline at 5PM. Their ND and entire staff should be embarrassed.

Why not lead with the Northland Mall security guard trial instead, or perhaps a story about the rash of shootings in Detroit over the weekend?

windsorjoe

Re: WXYZ leads with fake weather news at 5PM

Post by windsorjoe » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 pm

…because scaring people with weather keeps people glued to the TV set.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:19 pm

A lot of this is on NOAA Pontiac/Detroit and the GLWA. They cried wolf. Very sad.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:01 pm
Nice bullshit headlines and weather forecast advising of flood potential to lead off at 5PM.

The upper level dynamics are not at all conducive of a significant heavy rain threat in SE Michigan. The best forcing is near and south of the state line. Any precip that forms here will be very spotty and fast moving.

Cannot believe 7 led with that bullshit weather headline at 5PM. Their ND and entire staff should be embarrassed.

Why not lead with the Northland Mall security guard trial instead, or perhaps a story about the rash of shootings in Detroit over the weekend?
Lighten up Francis.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:36 am

Herm must work at channel 7.

I watched channel 4 at 6PM. Night & day difference in their weather report versus the bullshit on 7. I thought Kim Adams did a good job on her first day back.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:57 am

Herm wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:50 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:01 pm

Why not lead with the Northland Mall security guard trial instead of a story about the rash of shootings in Detroit over the weekend?
Lighten up Francis.
Youre OK with purposely misleading the viewer? Maybe its just me but I expect my news sources to be truthful.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:12 am

Sorry Herm, but MW and Joe and Freak and Dial are right. Clifford's over dramatic Armageddon teases to try and get folks not change channels can definitely be a little over the top at times. Look at the ratings. Once Lewis puts the ribbons on the 5 O'clock, folks migrate over to "DIV. Yes or no?

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:36 am
Herm must work at channel 7.

I watched channel 4 at 6PM. Night & day difference in their weather report versus the bullshit on 7. I thought Kim Adams did a good job on her first day back.
I do!
But even if I didn’t, I would still think that you’re being overly dramatic.

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:06 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:12 am
Sorry Herm, but MW and Joe and Freak and Dial are right. Clifford's over dramatic Armageddon teases to try and get folks not change channels can definitely be a little over the top at times. Look at the ratings. Once Lewis puts the ribbons on the 5 O'clock, folks migrate over to "DIV. Yes or no?

Carolyn wasn’t working yesterday.
I don’t pay attention to ratings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm

I commend Herm for his honesty.

Overly dramatic because I used the word "bullshit" ?

I guess I respectfully disagree. WXYZ should stop leading its newscast with fake weather news if it cares about credibility.

Glenda Lewis was anchoring the 5PM show yesterday for those curious. Not her fault. She just reads what she's given to read.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:57 am

I was surprised that Michigan was 5% when I watched WWMT weather at Noon Mon I know NWS does update the model after the noon newscast is over. At least WXYZ sister station WXMI Fox17 doesn't cry wolf WXYZ needs to learn not to cry wolf when it comes to weather no one will trust you.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:06 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm

I guess I respectfully disagree. WXYZ should stop leading its newscast with fake weather news if it cares about credibility.

Glenda Lewis was anchoring the 5PM show yesterday for those curious. Not her fault. She just reads what she's given to read.
It was a highly correctable error considering that Fox 2 was saying that storms would miss to the north and south at noon. Irresponsible is appropriate. Highly avoidable? Yes. Worth getting upset over? Up for debate.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Herm

Post by Herm » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm

I’ve always had that going for me on this forum, if nothing else.
I don’t think calling it “bullshit” is overdramatic. That’s a legit criticism in this business. Calling it “fake” was overly dramatic. Saying that we should all be embarrassed was overly dramatic.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 am

I hear you loudly and clearly, but I try to call strikes & balls. I called it "fake" because the alarmist reporting on your station's part was completely unnecessary and untruthful. It was the TV equivalent of misleading click bait.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:41 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 am
I hear you loudly and clearly, but I try to call strikes & balls. I called it "fake" because the alarmist reporting on your station's part was completely unnecessary and untruthful. It was the TV equivalent of misleading click bait.
I agree with this. When the teases are really the video equivalent of clickbait, should real journalists be embarrassed or proud?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic