Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Radio playlist question

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Radio playlist question

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:50 pm

I've noticed this for a while, maybe some of you have, also. I think it's been discussed here before.

Most playlists have been narrowed down to a few recognizable tracks by most artists. Obviously, they want to play the hits (see: burnt to a crisp), but is it also so that stations van claim a larger artist library?

I ask primarily because it doesn't seem that stations claim core artists like they used to. They seem to want to grab a larger slice of artists, but don't seem to get into their library. No artist A-Z features, (unless Bob Seger gets the shits, then CSX will gladly do a Seger A-Z), no deeper cuts from said core artists, nothing like that. That's not to say some artists don't have larger playlists, Ozzy Osbourne for example, will have 5-8 cuts in heavy rotation at any given time (just ask LLZ). But many artists do seem to be taken down to the first 2 or 3 songs (at most) from a greatest hits comp.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15783

Re: Radio playlist question

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:38 pm

I think to answer this question requires the answer to another question. And if I'm not mistaken, it's been asked before and no one here on Buzzboard knew the answer:

What percentage of radio listeners are using a desktop or shelf radio, and not getting up and changing the station when an ad comes on?
And what percentage are in a vehicle, and hitting the channel button as soon as chat or a commercial come on?

If most listeners are in a vehicle, it seems to me playing favorite tunes would be an effective way to get channel surfers to stop and listen.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:56 pm

In The Bleachers wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:38 pm
I think to answer this question requires the answer to another question. And if I'm not mistaken, it's been asked before and no one here on Buzzboard knew the answer:

What percentage of radio listeners are using a desktop or shelf radio, and not getting up and changing the station when an ad comes on?
And what percentage are in a vehicle, and hitting the channel button as soon as chat or a commercial come on?

If most listeners are in a vehicle, it seems to me playing favorite tunes would be an effective way to get channel surfers to stop and listen.
Maybe I'm the minority but NOTHING will get me to change the station faster than those overplayed "hits". I'm sure we all know the ones...you know them from the very first couple of notes. I will sit through a commercial on a different station before I'll sit through "Bohemian Rhapsody" for the one millionth time.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:28 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:56 pm
Maybe I'm the minority but NOTHING will get me to change the station faster than those overplayed "hits". I'm sure we all know the ones...you know them from the very first couple of notes. I will sit through a commercial on a different station before I'll sit through "Bohemian Rhapsody" for the one millionth time.
Maybe you're not in the minority. You are hitting that button as soon as you hear something you don't like.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:48 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:I've noticed this for a while, maybe some of you have, also. I think it's been discussed here before.

Most playlists have been narrowed down to a few recognizable tracks by most artists. Obviously, they want to play the hits (see: burnt to a crisp), but is it also so that stations van claim a larger artist library?

I ask primarily because it doesn't seem that stations claim core artists like they used to. They seem to want to grab a larger slice of artists, but don't seem to get into their library. No artist A-Z features, (unless Bob Seger gets the shits, then CSX will gladly do a Seger A-Z), no deeper cuts from said core artists, nothing like that. That's not to say some artists don't have larger playlists, Ozzy Osbourne for example, will have 5-8 cuts in heavy rotation at any given time (just ask LLZ). But many artists do seem to be taken down to the first 2 or 3 songs (at most) from a greatest hits comp.
Good point.

Since I was thinking about this, when was the last time a Van Halen cut with Sammy as the lead vocalist was played? Seems like I only hear the cuts with Synthetic Diamond Dave nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:12 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:48 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:I've noticed this for a while, maybe some of you have, also. I think it's been discussed here before.

Good point.

Since I was thinking about this, when was the last time a Van Halen cut with Sammy as the lead vocalist was played? Seems like I only hear the cuts with Synthetic Diamond Dave nowadays.

I've heard "Best of Both Worlds", "Right Now", and "Why Can't This Be Love" on Toledo rock and classic rock stations over the past few years.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:17 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:12 pm
thatonedude wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:48 pm

Good point.

I've heard "Best of Both Worlds", "Right Now", and "Why Can't This Be Love" on Toledo rock and classic rock stations over the past few years.
Yeah, they're getting a little ballsier. WCSX is good for Top of the World and Dreams, too.

-TurkeyTop

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:02 pm

VH with Sammy is exactly the stuff WLLZ should be playing.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:35 pm

Add “Don’t tell me what love can do” to that list…

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Realist wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:35 pm
Who's playing that one? Most stations think "Balance" is just a setting on the radio.

-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:55 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:58 pm
Realist wrote:
Who's playing that one? Most stations think "Balance" is just a setting on the radio.
Last time I heard it was when Eddie VH died and SXM was playing it on their tribute channel

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:17 pm

Realist wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:55 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Realist wrote:
Last time I heard it was when Eddie VH died and SXM was playing it on their tribute channel
No rock stations are touching Balance. The thing is, detractors complained when 5150 and OU812 sounded too sterile and synthetic, then they have 2 straight ahead rock records and it's like pulling teeth to get them played. I'm sorry, I think Poundcake should be at least a tertiary. You had 4 mainstream rock hits on F.U.C.K. I caught Wheels playing Black and Blue once.

-TurkeyTop

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:15 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:17 pm
Realist wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:55 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Realist wrote:
No rock stations are touching Balance. The thing is, detractors complained when 5150 and OU812 sounded too sterile and synthetic, then they have 2 straight ahead rock records and it's like pulling teeth to get them played. I'm sorry, I think Poundcake should be at least a tertiary. You had 4 mainstream rock hits on F.U.C.K. I caught Wheels playing Black and Blue once.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic