Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

People in Washtenaw County love WUOM

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

People in Washtenaw County love WUOM

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:52 am

I think this might be a new record high for the current format, and perhaps, in the long history of the station:

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb581

Also cannot remember the last time W4 was as low as a 2.8 share. I think that might've happened only one other time.

SolidGoldDancers

Re: People in Washtenaw County love WUOM

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:52 am
I think this might be a new record high for the current format, and perhaps, in the long history of the station:

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb581

Also cannot remember the last time W4 was as low as a 2.8 share. I think that might've happened only one other time.
They sure don't like WYCD.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:23 pm

I forgot Ann Arbor still had a book.
How on earth does WLBY earn a 0.9? Have they gained a translator?

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:45 am

No doubt that WUOM is the strongest FM signal in Washtenaw County. That could be part of the reason it's number 1.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:56 am

One book from one diary keeper with a lot of documented listening is probably good enough for a 0.9 share.

Lucy Ann Lance probably draws listeners. She's been a fixture on local radio for many years.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:38 am

I was surprised that WAAM wasn't on the list. Low ratings? Doesn't work with Nielsen?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:53 am

They are a non subscriber in all probability.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:40 pm

That station POUNDS in here in Brighton. Strongest signal by far. I live 8 miles from the WHMI tx and it isn't anywhere near the signal from UOM.

Of course, I'm sure that has nothing to do with ratings.

Idk, country is terrible, 107one has been pretty good and an area like that is NOT active rock friendly.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:23 am

WUOM's tower is located just outside of Pinckney. Definitely a blowtorch through much of Livingston County.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:31 am

I don't listen to the radio much. Only when I am driving and I don't drive much.
My go to stations are WUOM and WXYT. I flip back and forth a lot because way to often I am not interested in what I'm hearing.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:01 pm

Based on the ratings I have to wonder what would happen if Cumulus moved WQKL to 102.9 and then flipped 107.1 to CHR.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 pm

I think ditching country from 102.9 would be a very bad idea.

New CHR launches in Lansing (92.9), Kalamazoo (96.5) and Toledo (105.5) failed or are failing. 98.7 Amp Radio in Detroit posted ho hum numbers for most of its existence. Moreover, most radio advertisers in Ann Arbor proper are interested in affluent adults. I would not recommend going CHR with either of those signals. 20 years ago, it would've made a ton more sense.

107.1 is the perfect place for the AAA format. Ann Arbor and perhaps Brighton are the places where fans of such music reside; 107.1 reaches those areas well.

W4 in Ann Arbor has earned good to great ratings for nearly all of its 20 year history. One lackluster book in a market where diary data collection is probably not so great should not force a change.

Ben Zonia

Re: People in Washtenaw County also love WJR

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:18 pm

It looks like they pulled WJR out of the ratings this time.

People in Washtenaw County apparently also love WJR. It's been doing even better there than in the Detroit ratings, averaging around 5.5 in recent books. And that's greater than 5 times more than Cumulus' similarly formatted WLS Chicago, which has been hovering around 1.0 recently. That blows the theory that Chicago is more "sophisticated" and liberal and "purple", according to amateur pundits on the Chicago Radio Discussions board.

The fact is that the WLS programming is more suitable for the Northern Chicago suburbs, where WLS's signal is now buried in electrical noise. I don't see how a signal buried in electrical noise can properly register on the people meters, even if they try to listen. WLS sorely needs to move to a new tower or diplex from one further North, by whatever means necessary.

WJR has a signal 2-3 times as strong in the Northern suburbs of Detroit than WLS does in Northern Chicago suburbs, which also tend to be more affluent and Conservative, than WLS has in its more affluent Northern suburbs. Radio executive David Gleason frequently quotes a statistic that says you need 15 mV/m now on AM to overcome electrical noise and be viable. The WLS 15 mV/m contour conks out at the northern city limits of Chicago. WJR has more than 15 mV/m well into the outer northern tiers of suburbs. Much of Washtenaw County receives 25 mV/m or more from WJR.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:39 pm

I do remember WJR's signal being absolutely gangbusters in Ann Arbor when I lived there. AM conductivity on the south side of town seems pretty darn good compared to many other areas of the state.

One reason WLS struggles is 720 WGN. Metro Detroit doesn't have a conversational talk station in the vein of WGN. I think years of programming mismanagement has also taken its toll on 890.

The other thing to note about Washtenaw County is WWJ's signal isn't so hot. Perhaps that works to 760's advantage.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:11 pm

From everything I've been able to gather, the signal path between Riverview and Ann Arbor exceeds M-3. The WDEO Proof of Performance radials on the fairly recent WMVP application to change the antenna array show that the conductivity deteriorates greatly as you move from SE to NE from Clark Rd. in Ypsilanti. WJR's signal exceeds WAAM and WPAG...WTKA by the time you get several miles out. The WFDF signal also far exceeds the WWJ signal in Ann Arbor at Night, only slightly less than WJR, with 25 kW, due to the directional pattern and the TL being several miles further West.

When WGN bought WFMT several decades ago, the WFMT listeners raised such a fuss that they had to donate or sell it back as I recall.

Listeners to public radio tend to hear a completely different set of opinions, but they are just as extreme.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic