Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

People in Washtenaw County love WUOM

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
edj

Re: People in Washtenaw County love WUOM

Post by edj » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:44 pm

WQKL also has an audience around Canton. It's the reason such a fuss was made about the 107.1 translator.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:40 pm
That station POUNDS in here in Brighton. Strongest signal by far. I live 8 miles from the WHMI tx and it isn't anywhere near the signal from UOM.

Of course, I'm sure that has nothing to do with ratings.

Idk, country is terrible, 107one has been pretty good and an area like that is NOT active rock friendly.
Is 107one really active rock though? I thought they were doing light alternative…:or have they tweaked their format in the last few years? Hell, they played Guster back in the day.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:48 am

107.1 fades near me, as I get interreference from WJUC on 107.3 from Swanton Ohio, as well this translator station on 106.9fm, from south of Toledo. If I'm in the right spot I can get it, but it's usually pretty scratchy. In a perfect world, 107.1 and 102.9 would swap formats, yeah I'm dreaming on that one.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:03 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
That station POUNDS in here in Brighton. Strongest signal by far. I live 8 miles from the WHMI tx and it isn't anywhere near the signal from UOM.

Idk, country is terrible, 107one has been pretty good and an area like that is NOT active rock friendly.
Is 107one really active rock though? I thought they were doing light alternative…:or have they tweaked their format in the last few years? Hell, they played Guster back in the day.
I think he’s saying AA is not Active Rock-friendly, hence the well-performing AAA station. I don’t think 107one has an Active bone in their body, except for the occasional Green Day spin. Heck, in their last ten played, they’ve played Peter Gabriel, Wilco, Milky Chance, and Arcade Fire. Ahhh, I haven’t heard Guster in awhile. Brings me back to high school and college days.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:59 am

Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

No, still AAA. The active rock mention was about WRIF's rating.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:29 am

WQKL has always been in the 4's. EMU also pulls strong, Hail non-jesus, non-commercial!

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:52 am

WQKL has always been in the 4's.
Not true if we're talking 12+.

For, say, the first decade or so as a AAA format, the station was usually in the 3's.

I suspect their A25-54 performance usually beats their 12+ performance.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:31 am

WUOM is definitely a blowtorch. It covers a significant chunk of the lower peninsula from Dexter.

The *only* allure behind W4 as a non-country listener is that they do provide a lot of local news and weather, even for communities out in Lenawee county - The station is much more focused on the 'in between', where their signal is strongest (and it's not a force to be reckoned with either).

The detroit stations almost never mention anything about lenawee, or monroe counties; much less even the western wayne burbs (in the same county as detroit even). Some areas out there towards irish hills are well served by W4 and WUOM.

I say bring back Rock 103 WIQB back though ;)

Having just moved back to the wayne-washtenaw border (where I grew up) from pontiac, I will say I have missed WQKL

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:28 pm

I listen to WUOM from my home in Toledo regularly as FM 91.3 WGTE is more about music and only carries a few NPR shows. I tend to listen to the BBC World Service at night.

Interesting that a few Detroit stations beat out W4 Country in the ratings.

I can only pick up 107one faintly from where I live. It's a shame I can't pick them up better because I like their variety. I always make it a point to listen to it driving up to AA.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:26 pm

After doing a little research I decided to change my mind and now agree that 102.9 should remain Country.
That 330,500 population figure they show for the Ann Arbor likely does not include Livingston County, Western Metro Detroit, or Jackson. Bottom line is that they are making money and have more listeners than what Radio Online is showing us.

If Cumulus wanted to they could swap the WDRQ Detroit and WWWW Ann Arbor station ID's and start calling 93.1 W4 Country although that might not make much of a difference.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:37 pm

The Nielsen defined boundaries for the Ann Arbor market indeed only include Washtenaw County.

Livingston County is part of the Detroit MSA for Nielsen purposes, but I agree W4 likely has a lot of listeners there. Lansing's WITL is popular there, too.

Back in the day, WRIF and WKQI used to pull 4 shares + in Washtenaw County quite regularly. CIMX on occasion would also do well there.

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:38 pm

Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:26 pm
After doing a little research I decided to change my mind and now agree that 102.9 should remain Country.
That 330,500 population figure they show for the Ann Arbor likely does not include Livingston County, Western Metro Detroit, or Jackson. Bottom line is that they are making money and have more listeners than what Radio Online is showing us.

If Cumulus wanted to they could swap the WDRQ Detroit and WWWW Ann Arbor station ID's and start calling 93.1 W4 Country although that might not make much of a difference.
Cumulus should've named 93.1 WDRQ "Q" Country.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:41 pm

They might've faced a lawsuit from the Port Huron station at 107.1 had they done so. St. Clair County is part of the Detroit MSA for Nielsen purposes.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:44 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:

They still play Guster a little bit. ;)

That band is criminally underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:36 pm

I remember 102.9 trying AAA briefly in the late '90s. I lived in central Macomb County then and 102.7 blocked any possible reception of 102.9 there, but I recall driving through Ann Arbor on I-94 that spring on a band/choir trip to Chicago and hearing artists like Sheryl Crow and Tori Amos on WIQB. Looking at the ratings from that time, IQB was typically in the low 3's - about where 107.1 has been regularly over the past few years. In the Winter '98 ratings they rated third among local stations (behind WAAM and then-Kool 107) and 8th overall (12+; WJR was #1 and WAAM tied for 5th with WRIF, WJLB and Q95-5 ahead of them).
By the time I moved to Washtenaw County in the spring of '98, WIQB had evolved into a crusty, butt-rock-heavy AOR format playing lots of Aerosmith and the like. I remember them playing "Take a Picture" by Filter in the summer of 2000 and announcing it as "new music" at a time when that song had already had its run on CHR and Hot AC stations. Little wonder they always got their butt kicked in their own market by WRIF. WYCD and (the original 106.7) W4 combined for a 6.0 share 12+ in Fall '97 in Ann Arbor, suggesting there was an audience for a locally based Country station to exploit. I doubt they've ever regretted making the move to Country.
I agree 102.9 should stay Country, but maybe they could tweak it a bit, add a little more '90s and '00s, something in between Duke FM and what they are now, perhaps something akin to what 94.1 in Cincy is doing since 105.9 there flipped. W4 is already more listenable than either of their Detroit competitors, this would just make it a bit better (IMO).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic