Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

People in Washtenaw County love WUOM

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: People in Washtenaw County love WUOM

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:14 pm

Excellent summary.

I do remember the Lilith Fair heavy era of WIQB (Adult Alternative), and I definitely remember the butt rock era complete with former WLLZ jocks reading liner cards, Boob & Turd in the morning, and a playlist that was a cheap replica of WRIF.

Cumulus ruined WIQB by flipping the format to trailer trash rock.

The station soon fell into AMFM's hands, which almost immediately thereafter was scooped up by Clear Channel. They very wisely ditched WIQB and resurrected the W4 brand.

As a result of some multi market horse trading, the Ann Arbor stations fell back into Cumulus' hands a number of years later. It was Clear Channel who actually took 107.1 in a AAA direction. I liked the shortlived Mainstream AC format that preceded that move. Was never a fan of the AC Gold "Kool 107" format, though. I hated the music and hated the processing.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Excellent summary.

I do remember the Lilith Fair heavy era of WIQB (Adult Alternative), and I definitely remember the butt rock era complete with former WLLZ jocks reading liner cards, Boob & Turd in the morning, and a playlist that was a cheap replica of WRIF.

Cumulus ruined WIQB by flipping the format to trailer trash rock.

The station soon fell into AMFM's hands, which almost immediately thereafter was scooped up by Clear Channel. They very wisely ditched WIQB and resurrected the W4 brand.

As a result of some multi market horse trading, the Ann Arbor stations fell back into Cumulus' hands a number of years later. It was Clear Channel who actually took 107.1 in a AAA direction. I liked the shortlived Mainstream AC format that preceded that move. Was never a fan of the AC Gold "Kool 107" format, though. I hated the music and hated the processing.
Did they start calling themselves 107one when they went mainstream AC, or was that once they were AAA? Kinda curious how it came to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 pm

That didn't occur until the flip to AAA.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:That didn't occur until the flip to AAA.
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

I have to admit, I’m glad Cumulus hasn’t messed with 107one, at least from a playlist perspective. One of the best stations we’ve got.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:18 pm

Gosh I miss Kool 107.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 pm

Back around 10 years ago, I could faintly pick up 107.1 from here in Warren. The current religious programmers more locally block it out here now.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:38 pm

The reverb and ultra muddy audio on the old Kool 107 was obnoxious. Made some sense when it was an Oldies station but sounded silly with AC Gold.

In the early 00s, Clear Channel eventually changed the processing to something that sounded much more natural (Thank God).

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:14 pm

WQKL is only protected to the 60 dBu F(50,50) contour shown on the map linked below.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&appid= ... acid=47117

WQKL is not protected any more than the numerous other nearby market stations which have cochannel translators interfering with areas that formerly received some measure of service outside their protected contour. There are no sacred cow stations or formats exempt from such interference.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid= ... 3ebeb7&i=2

Even the so called 45 dBu F(50,50) "complaint zone" barely reaches Southfield let alone Warren.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

edj

Post by edj » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:26 pm

That would explain why the 107.1 translator was shut down because WQKL is protected in Canton.

riggs

Post by riggs » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:59 am

And to think that the Clear Channel brass thought 107.1 as a AAA wouldn't last a year (June 2004), and despite their efforts to make it a Cities 97 Hot AC clone (Minneapolis), smarter thinking prevailed and it stayed more AAA. 18 years later consistently in the Top 3 25-54 and gaining 12+. The departure of 89X and The River probably helped a bit with 12+. It is the perfect market for AAA. Most big college towns would be good for a AAA. The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill market still doesn't have a AAA. It would be Top 3 there in it's first year.

The original AAA, when IQB did it was flawed because they were trying to compete with Detroit all the time. The current WQKL decided from it's inception they were going to be a Ann Arbor station, not a Detroit wannabe. The only real value that Detroit has to the station is giving away concert tickets for metro Detroit shows since it's less than a one hour drive.

Radio is local. Too many people still don't get that. A lot of stations in a lot of places would do a lot better if they remembered that.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:06 am

riggs wrote:And to think that the Clear Channel brass thought 107.1 as a AAA wouldn't last a year (June 2004), and despite their efforts to make it a Cities 97 Hot AC clone (Minneapolis), smarter thinking prevailed and it stayed more AAA. 18 years later consistently in the Top 3 25-54 and gaining 12+. The departure of 89X and The River probably helped a bit with 12+. It is the perfect market for AAA. Most big college towns would be good for a AAA. The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill market still doesn't have a AAA. It would be Top 3 there in it's first year.

The original AAA, when IQB did it was flawed because they were trying to compete with Detroit all the time. The current WQKL decided from it's inception they were going to be a Ann Arbor station, not a Detroit wannabe. The only real value that Detroit has to the station is giving away concert tickets for metro Detroit shows since it's less than a one hour drive.

Radio is local. Too many people still don't get that. A lot of stations in a lot of places would do a lot better if they remembered that.
RDU has one, but it’s on a translator. Sounds pretty good from the few times I’ve listened.

107one is a rare breed, especially in Cumulus’ stable. So glad they haven’t messed with it, especially when you’re saying that CC when they still owned it wanted to turn it into a mini Cities 97. Yeah, no thanks. Even after Cities’ reformatting and becoming more AAA oriented, it’s still unlistenable.

Also riggs, when were you at 107one? Thinking I probably heard you at some point ;) haha

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Would it be a stupid move on Cumulus' part at this point to bring the W4 branding to 93.1 instead of the generic New Country branding they currently use. Whether it is a simulcast on both stations or the new W4 on 93.1 broadcasts on its own. One station gets the WWWW-FM callsign and another could get WFOR-FM.

How many books in a row is 93.1 going to be allowed to fail before Cumulus does something significant with it? When's the last time they passed a 3.0 in the ratings or billed anywhere near the top 10 in the market? Why not try a Nash Icon type of a format with new country and 90's + 2000's country combined together for a more gold-leaning playlist? Combine that with new branding, W4 or otherwise, and see if it works.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:33 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:Would it be a stupid move on Cumulus' part at this point to bring the W4 branding to 93.1 instead of the generic New Country branding they currently use. Whether it is a simulcast on both stations or the new W4 on 93.1 broadcasts on its own. One station gets the WWWW-FM callsign and another could get WFOR-FM.

How many books in a row is 93.1 going to be allowed to fail before Cumulus does something significant with it? When's the last time they passed a 3.0 in the ratings or billed anywhere near the top 10 in the market? Why not try a Nash Icon type of a format with new country and 90's + 2000's country combined together for a more gold-leaning playlist? Combine that with new branding, W4 or otherwise, and see if it works.
W4 has H*** brand recognition… in Ann Arbor. In Detroit, nobody remembers it. It would be pointless to bring the brand back to Detroit. 93.1 wouldn’t benefit from the W4 moniker, and sure as hell wouldn’t benefit from simulcasting them.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:47 pm

It seems that low rated Country stations are being hung onto these days. It might have something to do with it having listeners from a wider age demo than CHR or Classic Hits for example. Even Classic Country is often considered a risk to many broadcasters. Although those other two formats make money, you normally will not have more than three strong signals on your local radio dial playing them.

Some of us, myself included discussed the future of Pure Country 89 from Windsor. Now that I think about it, either CKWW or Virgin 93-9 might flip first. Last but not least there is no law against 88.7 CIMX changing its name to W4 Country and playing the Classics, but we all know what the chances of that are.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:50 pm

I largely agree. I think a Fake W4 would go over worse than Fake Wheels.

93.1's issue isn't its name, it's the programming. The new afternoon jock is not a good fit for a Detroit country station. They should move him to 96.3 and bring Dave Fuller back to 93.1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic