Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What would you do if you owned one or more of the area radio and TV broadcasts

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
audiophile

Re: What would you do if you owned one or more of the area radio and TV broadcasts

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:06 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:30 am
Chrocket87 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:24 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:52 pm
I'd love to program 98.7.

First move would be to fire Church of Lazlo.

Second move would be to install local air talent in morning and afternoon drive and getting the station's personalities out in the community.

Third move would be to ditch Billie Ellish and all the kiddie and fruitcake music from the playlist and blend in a healthy dose of guitar-driven rock while expanding the number of songs and artists receiving airplay.
These are exactly my thoughts. I’ll add putting Ian Camfield on nights. All local during the rest of weekday shifts. But DEFINITELY sacking Lazlo takes priority.

I’d also purchase and shut down the 107.1 translator so that 107.1 can cover more of Metro Detroit.
Wow, you definitely aren't Audio then. My apologies and I agree. Ann Arbor's 107.1 is a treat.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:52 pm
I'd love to program 98.7.

First move would be to fire Church of Lazlo.

Second move would be to install local air talent in morning and afternoon drive and getting the station's personalities out in the community.

Third move would be to ditch Billie Ellish and all the kiddie and fruitcake music from the playlist and blend in a healthy dose of guitar-driven rock while expanding the number of songs and artists receiving airplay.
They already have bagged Billie. Have you listened in the last few months? It's actually very good minus Laszlo and the idiot DJ before their show. Agree with #2.
LOL. That's flattering, but I only have one username.

I know you have a hard time accepting that many people agree with my political positions, and just because they do does not mean they are same person.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: What would you do if you owned one or more of the area radio and TV broadcasts

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:41 pm

The Church of Lazlo’s contract expires Sunday. The PD only has 4 days to renew.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:51 pm

If I owned a radio property, one idea would be to have all brokered programming but all would be strictly music oriented and anyone could have their own radio show. All ethnic groups would be welcomed and the airtime would be a flat rate of $200 per hour, if a host wanted to sell their own commercial time that would be entirely up to the host. The station would have to be an FM signal. The station would be all local all the time no network or satellite feeds whatsoever. Any royalty fees would be covered by the $200 an hour rate paid by the host. Another idea would be to do a format similar to what WHLX 92.7/AM 1590 is doing in the Port Huron area www.927whlx.com This station is different from the average radio formats in Detroit radio and could actually do fairly well in this market probably better than what Alt 98.7 is currently doing. If none of these ideas end up being a success, then I would sell the station or stations to EMF and they can put Air 1, K-Love 2000’s or K-Love 90’s on those signals. I could just sell the radio property to the Brother Stair Ministry they would find a use for the station or stations.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:08 am

Since this is in The Detroit section, I'll keep it in Detroit.

98.7- Relaunch the station as maybe X98-7, Move it to more a classic alternative station, to recapture the sound of 89x in the 1990s and early 2000s. Stunt for an afternoon with an hour of each prior format. An hour of WLLZ, V98.7, Amp Radio, and the breeze. For the finale! stunt as WBFG with Brother Stair .

106.7- Flip to Variety hits as 106.7 The Cat, we do whatever we want!

88.7- Move 580s format to there, re-tool some small stuff if needed.

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:51 am

Riff Raff, actually bringing back WBFG to 98.7 is a great idea. I wonder if the company that owned WBFG is still around, I think it was Trinity Broadcasting. I did hear something about a plane crash that involved some of the owners of Trinity just shortly after 98.7 changed to the Rock format. Does Anyone have any info on that story.

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:51 am

Riff Raff, actually bringing back WBFG to 98.7 is a great idea. I wonder if the company that owned WBFG is still around, I think it was Trinity Broadcasting. I did hear something about a plane crash that involved some of the owners of Trinity just shortly after 98.7 changed to the Rock format. Does Anyone have any info on that story. ( I apologize for the double post. I don't understand what happened.)
Last edited by Deleted User 15840 on Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:03 am

I've never heard that one. The first song on WLLZ was Jesus is just alright by the Doobie Brothers.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:05 am

I've never heard that one. The first song on WLLZ was Jesus is just alright by the Doobie Brothers. I think one time 96.7fm in Dallas stunted with prior formats they had one time. That signal has been a lot of different things.

Still, The Brother Stair thing for an hour, would freak some people out.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:22 pm

Longwave wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:51 am
Riff Raff, actually bringing back WBFG to 98.7 is a great idea. I wonder if the company that owned WBFG is still around, I think it was Trinity Broadcasting. I did hear something about a plane crash that involved some of the owners of Trinity just shortly after 98.7 changed to the Rock format. Does Anyone have any info on that story.
Here's the UPI story on the plane crash that killed the Ninowski brothers. It happened in February 1981, roughly 7 months after WLLZ was born.
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/02/20 ... 351493200/

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:33 pm

I'd love to reformat WNIC along the lines of their sister stations in Chicago and San Francisco, maybe even bring back their old slogan: "Soft rock favorites of yesterday and today." Maybe a touch more contemporary, something like 98.3 The Coast in the Benton Harbor market. Would the soccer moms really miss hearing Doja Cat and Gayle that much?

The station I'd really want to overhaul is WMUZ. I'd move all the MAGA/QAnon lunatics (Bob Dutko et al.) to one of the two AM stations, put the "Legends" format they do in Denver on the other AM station, and make WMUZ a music-intensive station, probably modeling it on a station like WFRN since it's a commercial license. Either that or just sell 103.5 to K-Love or Smile FM - couldn't be any worse than what they do now. Elsewhere on my dream dial, the Gospel format would go back on 102.7 (maybe keeping the translators to serve the inner city listeners), and 107.5 would go Classic Soul/Soft Adult R&B with a touch of Smooth Jazz like they were before Radio One took over.

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:18 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:22 pm
Longwave wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:51 am
Here's the UPI story on the plane crash that killed the Ninowski brothers. It happened in February 1981, roughly 7 months after WLLZ was born.
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/02/20 ... 351493200/
Thanks, ChrisWL1980 for the link on that plane crash. Much appreciated.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:40 pm

I thought of another one.

You got it on 88.7 CKZR-FM Windsor-Detroit. The Motor Cities Z-Rock.

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:39 pm

Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:40 pm
I thought of another one.

You got it on 88.7 CKZR-FM Windsor-Detroit. The Motor Cities Z-Rock.
And coming up next is Celine Dion on Z-Rock Canada.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:43 am

(count down clocks)3,2,1 Look out Detroit here we come.... MEEYOOOW

" Detroit you are about to witness something new and soon to be a Detroit legend.(Meow) For several months now, we have talked to many of you in Detroit and SE Michigan, you told Detroit radio had " gone to the dogs" , that too many of the stations were boring. (Meow) You said you wanted a station that didn't play the same "safe" burned out classic rocks tracks day in and day out. You told us you wanted to hear recent music from the 2010s but also your old favorites from The 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s(purr purr). However, no sappy love songs or rap(Hiss!).

You told you were tired of cheesy unfunny morning shows, stilly contests, and shouty DJs. You wanted something different, well... we listened and today we are introducing you to a new station, one that isn't a homely dog. Welcome to 106-7 The Cat.

*Montage of snippets songs* Bent-Matchbox 20, Hey 19-Steely Dan, Alive-Pearl Jam, Friday night-Katy Perry, Father figure-George Michael, Tumble in the jungle-Jethro Tull, Default-wasted my time, Foreigner- Head knocker, Green day-when I come around.

So here's the rules... I'm a cat, I do what I want and have things on my terms. So... I'll play whatever I feel like and don't tell me what to play. Ok? I'll let you listen as long as you want. Ready? lets go!!

Pearl Jam-Alive
The Motels-Suddenly last summer

106.7 The cat... hey I need my litter boxed scooped and some of those chicken treats!

REM- The one I love
Kim Campbell- Go for a Soda

MEEYOW... hey WCSX, bet you haven't played this in a long time..

Yes- Yours is no disgrace
third eye blind- Semi charmed life

106-7 Theeeee Cat!! eat your heart out Garfield

Jermaine Stewart- We don't have to take our clothes off
Boys don't cry- I wanna be a cowboy
Green Day-Basket case

So... we gotta play these commercials, while your at I need to be brushed and I threw up on the rug. 106.7 the cat

Ok.. were back... hey WDVD jealous yet?

Sting- If you love someone, set them free
Van Halen- When its love
Go west- king of wishful thinking

I'm napping not now... 106.7 the cat.

WLLZ Detroit... there now its legal... happy?

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:57 am

Why don't we just sell 106.7 to the owners of Smile FM and cut our losses. Will the last one out of the building please shut off the lights. Thank You.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic