Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What would you do if you owned one or more of the area radio and TV broadcasts

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Marcus

What would you do if you owned one or more of the area radio and TV broadcasts

Post by Marcus » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:38 pm

93.1 WDRQ : I would make it Classic Country even if the ratings are not among the worst right now. Some of the current listeners would keep listening.

Alt 98.7 : Keep it Alternative with less talk during the Afternoons.

107.5 WGPR : GOSPEL - because 102.7 was doing quite well with it considering they transmitted from the East side at the time.

88.7 CIMX (Pure Country) from Windsor : Anything else (1) Move CKWW there
(2) Rhythmic Classic Hits like what Play 107 Edmonton and Play 92 Regina is right now.
(3) A return of 89x with a AAA lean to the playlist.
(4) Adult Hits
(5) Even moving the Talk Radio from AM 800 to 88.7 FM, and then making CKLW Oldies would be better than what is on there right now.

AM 1160 WCXI : There are a few options. Switching it over to WPON might be worth looking into. If they your going to waste airtime on Brother whats his face?, why not use the weaker 1460 signal. It might make money as a Polish language station although people more familiar with the area that 1160 covers might know more about that than I do.

And finally there is WMYD 20.1 - Airing what they do right now might be working out for them. This is more of a question than a suggestion. Would it benefit them if they became CW 20?

Editorcj

Re: What would you do if you owned one or more of the area radio and TV broadcasts

Post by Editorcj » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:47 pm

Sell and retire

Mega Hertz

Re: What would you do if you owned one or more of the area radio and TV broadcasts

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:10 pm

I would make a station that either plays 80s hits, CHUrban or country. Nobody else has the gonads to try any of these formats in this town. Watch me turn the industry on its ear!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:25 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:10 pm
I would make a station that either plays 80s hits, CHUrban or country. Nobody else has the gonads to try any of these formats in this town. Watch me turn the industry on its ear!
You wouldn't make a religious station? We don't have any of those! You might even be able to get a translator for this to increase the amount of radio spectrum you take. It would be EXCITING and NEW!

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:35 pm

If I owned 62 CBS WWJ TV I would scrap their intended news programing before it even started and hit the resent button. From there, I'd turn their news operation into a combination of something you'd see on Vice News/Vice News Tonight/PBS News Hour/Frontline. It would emphasize investigative journalism, real reporting, in-depth coverage of events, and a more hard news approach.

Mornings would be your typical "start the day, all the news you can use" fluffy newscast with headlines from overnight, traffic, weather, tips for parents, small talk about meaningless stories, etc. Just as you would see on 2,4, and 7. I would be more like CBS Mornings, the show that follows it, and still reserve time for more hard hitting stories and in-depth news coverage as well.

There would be a 12pm newscast as well and that would rundown the days headlines and the weather. From there, that's where things would change. From 5-6pm I would structure the newscast to be more like a PBS Newshour type of format and less like you'd see from the traditional local news outlets. The differences being more hard news, more in-depth reporting that dives deeper into stories, and longer segments when reporting on a story. The 6-6:30pm half hour block would be used for investigations being run by the news department or when there isn't a pressing investigative story, for more substantive debate on the issues of the day. Less of a Fox 2 Let It Rip approach where they are just yelling at one another and more of a traditional Firing Line type of approach, with more mature, organized, polite debate and dialogue.

When there are big stories or things that require more time an attention I'd run full hour investigative specials to dive deep into the story like you'd see on Frontline. I wouldn't want to overuse these specials, but would reserve them for the biggest of the biggest local news stories, scandals, or things that merit some serious investigative journalism. Things like Detroit's crime problem, the Rizzo bribery scandal that took down multiple local officials, a Kwame Kilpatrick type situation, the Illitch family ripping taxpayers off with corporate welfare from the District Detroit scam, etc.

A real, hard-hitting, investigative news bureau at 62 CBS is what I would do.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 pm

Reinstate 89X, Planet 96.3, and the River. Hire Gregg Henson and Bill McAllister for a new morning show on 97.1. Lure Parker and Wilson back to weeknights on 97.1. Stunt 106.7 for a day with songs about the news, i.e. Dirty Laundry, Rush’s Distant Warning etc then flip 950 to WWJ-FM. Start Doug FM back up at 93.1 and them REALLY play everything. This shit will never happen, but it should.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:05 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:25 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:10 pm
You wouldn't make a religious station? We don't have any of those! You might even be able to get a translator for this to increase the amount of radio spectrum you take. It would be EXCITING and NEW!
Now you got me thinking! A message of hate and intolerance also! Why isn't anyone else coming up with these ideas?!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:52 pm

I'd love to program 98.7.

First move would be to fire Church of Lazlo.

Second move would be to install local air talent in morning and afternoon drive and getting the station's personalities out in the community.

Third move would be to ditch Billie Ellish and all the kiddie and fruitcake music from the playlist and blend in a healthy dose of guitar-driven rock while expanding the number of songs and artists receiving airplay.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 pm
Reinstate 89X, Planet 96.3, and the River. Hire Gregg Henson and Bill McAllister for a new morning show on 97.1. Lure Parker and Wilson back to weeknights on 97.1. Stunt 106.7 for a day with songs about the news, i.e. Dirty Laundry, Rush’s Distant Warning etc then flip 950 to WWJ-FM. Start Doug FM back up at 93.1 and them REALLY play everything. This shit will never happen, but it should.
I do miss Gregg Henson on the radio. He was blunt and spoke his mind. I would say no on McAllister, but maybe pair him with another lost sports talk personality - Art Regner.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:24 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:52 pm

Second move would be to install local air talent in morning and afternoon drive and getting the station's personalities out in the community.

Third move would be to ditch Billie Ellish and all the kiddie and fruitcake music from the playlist and blend in a healthy dose of guitar-driven rock while expanding the number of songs and artists receiving airplay.
These are exactly my thoughts. I’ll add putting Ian Camfield on nights. All local during the rest of weekday shifts. But DEFINITELY sacking Lazlo takes priority.

I’d also purchase and shut down the 107.1 translator so that 107.1 can cover more of Metro Detroit.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:30 pm

windsorjoe wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 pm
I do miss Gregg Henson on the radio. He was blunt and spoke his mind. I would say no on McAllister, but maybe pair him with another lost sports talk personality - Art Regner.
Please god and baby jesus NO! Art Regner is the absolute worst. How and why that douchebag continues to collect paychecks is a mystery.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:18 pm

There are more worst than Art. His hockey knowledge and the way he talks about it has always been interesting. It would be a treat to hear him today talk about the wings free agent signings.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:43 am

windsorjoe wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:18 pm
There are more worst than Art. His hockey knowledge and the way he talks about it has always been interesting. It would be a treat to hear him today talk about the wings free agent signings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:30 am

Chrocket87 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:24 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

These are exactly my thoughts. I’ll add putting Ian Camfield on nights. All local during the rest of weekday shifts. But DEFINITELY sacking Lazlo takes priority.

I’d also purchase and shut down the 107.1 translator so that 107.1 can cover more of Metro Detroit.
Wow, you definitely aren't Audio then. My apologies and I agree. Ann Arbor's 107.1 is a treat.
MWmetalhead wrote:

They already have bagged Billie. Have you listened in the last few months? It's actually very good minus Laszlo and the idiot DJ before their show. Agree with #2.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:48 am

They already have bagged Billie.
Her music was re-added a couple weeks ago in recurrent rotation. I've heard her twice in the past week.
Have you listened in the last few months?
Yes, plenty (other than afternoons).

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic