Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC playing 2000s songs

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
48125er

WOMC playing 2000s songs

Post by 48125er » Fri May 27, 2022 1:48 pm

Dear WOMC

Viva La vida by Coldplay from 2008 is NOT a greatest hit or even a classic

I also heard Vertigo by U2 yesterday

It is way too soon to be playing 2000s on a classic hits station

Anyone feel this way

thatonedude

WOMC playing 2000s songs

Post by thatonedude » Fri May 27, 2022 5:46 pm

48125er wrote:Dear WOMC

Anyone feel this way
Nothing wrong with them. Vertigo is approaching 20 years old. Viva La Vida is approaching 15 years old. Those are slowly becoming “classics”, so they work.

I would like them to start sprinkling in ‘60s cuts again, but I then remember that those songs are 50-60 years old. Would be like playing music from the 1920s in the ‘80s. Classic hits has to evolve and mature, so you’ll hear a lot more of this. 104.3’s selections from the ‘90s and later aren’t bad, truthfully. However, Audacy has done a shitty job with the overall personality of the station. Bland as hell now. CBS did a much better job (not by much, though).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Re: WOMC playing 2000s songs

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Not a fan.

I say all the time "I don't like the fact that songs I liked in high school are now on the oldies station".
Yes, I remember when they used oldies. And when they changed it.

It's kinda like the first time I heard Nirvana on a classic rock station. It ain't as funny as when I used to laugh at my parents about it 😂

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 27, 2022 11:33 pm

I remember classic rock and classic hits stations in the late 80s using the tagline "it doesn't have to be old to be a classic."

The 80s were obviously a very strong decade for popular music. Here we are in 2022, and yet that decade *still* serves as the backbone for most classic rock and classic hits stations! The 90s for whatever reason have failed to supplant the 80s as the predominant music decade on such stations in the vast majority of cases.

I remember when classic rock radio generally featured music from 15 to 30 years ago. Today, such stations largely feature music from 25 to 45 years ago. Median song age has definitely grown older with time.

edj

Post by edj » Sat May 28, 2022 8:21 am

I’ve noticed many kids still enjoy some of the classic rock from the mid 60s on, which is why they are still being played. More pop sounding songs before about 1980 don’t have the same treatment save a few, which is why they have been delegated to CKWW or specific oldies station (oldies and classic hits are different). 1920s music never really caught on to the younger generations which is why you don’t hear it.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat May 28, 2022 7:40 pm

Super unpopular opinion, I'm sure, but I'd love to hear "How You Remind Me" by Nickleback on the station.

It was the last rock song to hit number 1 on the Hot 100.
It's definitely what i would call a classic hit. It's over 20 years old.

"Have a Nice Day" by Bon Jovi from 2005 would be a nice addition.
And we need to get some modern Elton John on there.
"Something About The Way You Look Tonight" from 1997 is the highest selling single of all time in both the US and UK.

Oh, and "Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstall is a must.
And there is "Someday" by Sugar Ray from 99. That would sound good.

Vertigo by U2 doesn't sound all that great and I don't even recall ever hearing that on the radio. I only knew it from one of the NOW cd's I got. It only peaked at number 31. Hardly a classic hit.
They should play Beautiful Day instead.

As for Viva la Vida.. too soon. Yes it was a number 1 hit, but that's barely even 15 years old. Imagine WOMC playing 80s songs in the 90s.
It's time for 90s and some early 2000s, but let's not go crazy.

Music is my life.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat May 28, 2022 11:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:33 pm
I remember classic rock and classic hits stations in the late 80s using the tagline "it doesn't have to be old to be a classic."
In the '60s and '70s, "solid gold" in Top 40 lingo referred to any song more than a few months old, and stations imaging themselves around playing oldies - i.e. W4 around 1970-71, or WJR-FM during its "Solid Gold Rock and Roll" phase - also played current hits mixed in. In fact, W4 was the first station in Detroit to carry American Top 40 while it was under Gordon McLendon's ownership (before he sold the station and it went AOR).

I also remember WLAV in GR playing cuts from current rock albums by "classic" artists (i.e. Rod Stewart) as recently as 1998.

Under the previous ownership, WHMI in Howell had songs as recent as 2013 ("Happy" by Pharrell Williams) in rotation. They seem to have backed away from that since Krol took over.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun May 29, 2022 9:02 am

I wanna respond to MW's assertion that the 90s aren't represented as much as 80s music.

I believe it is because the 90s were a lot more varied in what sounds were popular. By that I mean it was the first time in 30 (give or take) years where rock-oriented sounds weren't the most popular. In the 90s, even with the grunge and punk movements, the REAL hits were by Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men and Puff Daddy. Rock wasn't the main dish on the table. So it isn't as easy to make those playlists work.

Sure, we can get into chart hits and positions, but my 90s hits will vary compared to other people's 90s hits. I'm a 120 Minutes person. My fiancé leans more towards Hanson and shit like that (no BSB or anything like that, thank God 😂 ), but I would really like to see a station like Alt lean more into the 90s gold alternative tracks and give us listeners a place to go. I don't want the 90s to turn into a handful of Nirvana, Soundgarden and Weezer tracks. The 80s are OVER represented. Plus, by the time my generation came of age, it was all about the internet. We are the last generation that gave a crap about FM radio. The 80s are probably the last generation of people they wanna get the ad dollars from. Or they CAN get the ad dollars from.

I hope I explained it well enough; my fiancé is yapping on the phone with her mom and my five year old crawling or over me 😂

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:24 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:02 am
I wanna respond to MW's assertion that the 90s aren't represented as much as 80s music.

I believe it is because the 90s were a lot more varied in what sounds were popular. By that I mean it was the first time in 30 (give or take) years where rock-oriented sounds weren't the most popular. In the 90s, even with the grunge and punk movements, the REAL hits were by Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men and Puff Daddy. Rock wasn't the main dish on the table. So it isn't as easy to make those playlists work.

Sure, we can get into chart hits and positions, but my 90s hits will vary compared to other people's 90s hits. I'm a 120 Minutes person. My fiancé leans more towards Hanson and shit like that (no BSB or anything like that, thank God 😂 ), but I would really like to see a station like Alt lean more into the 90s gold alternative tracks and give us listeners a place to go. I don't want the 90s to turn into a handful of Nirvana, Soundgarden and Weezer tracks. The 80s are OVER represented. Plus, by the time my generation came of age, it was all about the internet. We are the last generation that gave a crap about FM radio. The 80s are probably the last generation of people they wanna get the ad dollars from. Or they CAN get the ad dollars from.

I hope I explained it well enough; my fiancé is yapping on the phone with her mom and my five year old crawling or over me 😂
90s needs to be handled slowly. First adding the songs that don't "sound" 90s.

REM - Losing My Religion
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
Rod Stewart - Rhythm of My Heart
Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do
Melissa Etheridge - I'm The Only One
Billy Joel - River of Dreams
Santana - Smooth
Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason
Whitney Houston - I'm Your Baby Tonight
Madonna - Vogue
Del Amitri - Roll To Me
Genesis - I Can't Dance

That make sense?

Music is my life.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sun May 29, 2022 5:31 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:I wanna respond to MW's assertion that the 90s aren't represented as much as 80s music.

Sure, we can get into chart hits and positions, but my 90s hits will vary compared to other people's 90s hits. I'm a 120 Minutes person. My fiancé leans more towards Hanson and shit like that (no BSB or anything like that, thank God Image ), but I would really like to see a station like Alt lean more into the 90s gold alternative tracks and give us listeners a place to go. I don't want the 90s to turn into a handful of Nirvana, Soundgarden and Weezer tracks. The 80s are OVER represented. Plus, by the time my generation came of age, it was all about the internet. We are the last generation that gave a crap about FM radio. The 80s are probably the last generation of people they wanna get the ad dollars from. Or they CAN get the ad dollars from.

I hope I explained it well enough; my fiancé is yapping on the phone with her mom and my five year old crawling or over me Image
I remember seeing YT clips of 120 Minutes. Definitely seemed like my kind of show. I’ll shit myself if some of those cuts appeared on the radio; hell, SXM’s Lithium doesn’t even touch a fair amount of them. Would be a dream come true…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:43 pm

I think that WCRZ (CARS 108) during the 80's Request Lunch with George McIntire (12 Noon till 1:00) should play songs (from January 1979 till December 1996) to say the least even if someone is requesting a song from the 90's!!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:08 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:02 am

Part of the reason rock/alternative wasn't as well represented on the Hot 100 was many of those songs ("When I Come Around," "Lightning Crashes," "Better Man," "Don't Speak," "How Bizarre," "You Oughta Know," "Head Over Feet," "Lovefool") weren't released as commercial singles, which were a necessity pre-1998 for a song to appear on the Hot 100. They were still significant CHR radio hits. It is true, though, that when they were released as singles, they tended to still chart lower because they sold fewer copies. One of the biggest CHR radio hits of all time - Dionne Farris' "I Know" - spent nine weeks at #1 on the Radio & Records CHR/Pop chart, but stalled at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 because it peaked around #30 or something like that in sales.

Also, especially during the early '90s, many of the songs that made it onto CHR radio were AC crossovers - Mariah Carey's early hits, Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, Amy Grant, Gloria Estefan, Bette Midler, Toni Braxton, Richard Marx, etc. Those songs appealed to women in their 40s even then who would now be in their 60s or 70s, so they've become the next generation of "Adult Standards" rather than making the transition to Classic Hits stations. Using Madonna as an example, even on a "Breeze" Soft AC station, you'd be more likely to hear "Lucky Star" or "La Isla Bonita" than "Take a Bow," which chartwise was her biggest hit but probably tests too "old" today. As successful as Mariah was, virtually nothing from her debut album gets played anymore, and only "Always Be My Baby" still seems to be a reliable tester these days.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:10 pm

matt1 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:43 pm
I think that WCRZ (CARS 108) during the 80's Request Lunch with George McIntire (12 Noon till 1:00) should play songs (from January 1979 till December 1996) to say the least even if someone is requesting a song from the 90's!!
They do. I have heard Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" ('79) and Celine Dion's "Because You Loved Me" ('96) played as requests. In fact I've heard them go back as far as 1977 ("Dancing Queen").

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:37 pm

Former CARS 108 DJ J. Patrick played Elton John's "The One" (from 1992) a few weeks near the end of his retirement. George M. also played the late Bob Welch "Ebony Eyes" from 1978. BUT NO rap or hip hop music please on WCRZ Flint.

thekman

Post by thekman » Sun May 29, 2022 10:39 pm

48125er wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:48 pm
Dear WOMC

Anyone feel this way
A few years ago I heard 104.3 play All Summer Long by Kid Rock. You could maybe chalk it up to him getting the airplay simply by being a hometown artist, but that song seriously only had to be 10-11 years old at the time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic