Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC playing 2000s songs

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Chrocket87

Re: WOMC playing 2000s songs

Post by Chrocket87 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:58 pm

thekman wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:39 pm
48125er wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:48 pm
Dear WOMC

Viva La vida by Coldplay from 2008 is NOT a greatest hit or even a classic

I also heard Vertigo by U2 yesterday

It is way too soon to be playing 2000s on a classic hits station

Anyone feel this way
A few years ago I heard 104.3 play All Summer Long by Kid Rock. You could maybe chalk it up to him getting the airplay simply by being a hometown artist, but that song seriously only had to be 10-11 years old at the time.
There are likely a few factors at play here. First and foremost, Kid Rock is a hometown artist, so lots of folks in the 35-54 demo grew up listening to him and remember all sorts of milestones. Second, “All Summer Long” has that “classic” sound that allows it to fit in with the rest of the playlist (thanks to some Warren Zevon and Skynyrd sampling). This is why “All Summer Long” gets played, as opposed to, say, “Lose Yourself”, which probably won’t get played on WOMC for at least another five-ten years.

If you really wanna feel old and depressed, take a look at the playlist for KOLA in Riverside, CA.

http://kola.tunegenie.com/#

The newest song I could find looking at today’s playlist was “Hey Soul Sister” by Train. I was heading into my final semester of college when that one came out. Now I feel old.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:55 pm

matt1 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:37 pm
Former CARS 108 DJ J. Patrick played Elton John's "The One" (from 1992) a few weeks near the end of his retirement. George M. also played the late Bob Welch "Ebony Eyes" from 1978. BUT NO rap or hip hop music please on WCRZ Flint.
They have the Hot AC version of AT40 on Sunday nights, and some rap occasionally makes the cut - the latest chart has two Doja Cat hits, Megan Thee Stallion (with Dua Lipa), and Latto included. Me, I miss the days when they had oldies on Saturday nights and a locally based love-songs show (pre-Delilah) the rest of the week.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:12 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:02 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:33 pm
I remember classic rock and classic hits stations in the late 80s using the tagline "it doesn't have to be old to be a classic."
In the '60s and '70s, "solid gold" in Top 40 lingo referred to any song more than a few months old, and stations imaging themselves around playing oldies - i.e. W4 around 1970-71, or WJR-FM during its "Solid Gold Rock and Roll" phase - also played current hits mixed in. In fact, W4 was the first station in Detroit to carry American Top 40 while it was under Gordon McLendon's ownership (before he sold the station and it went AOR).

I also remember WLAV in GR playing cuts from current rock albums by "classic" artists (i.e. Rod Stewart) as recently as 1998.

Under the previous ownership, WHMI in Howell had songs as recent as 2013 ("Happy" by Pharrell Williams) in rotation. They seem to have backed away from that since Krol took over.
WXKR used to play some of Aerosmith and ZZ Top's newer songs 9-10 years ago. They would also play contemporary blues artists like Kenny Wayne Sheperd and Jonny Lang as well.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:25 am

The Middle by Jimmy Eat World followed by Summer Breeze by Seals and Crofts was a little bizarre, but it's a nice variety.
No complaints from me there. The only 2000s song they have played that i have an issue with is what the OP said, Viva la Vida. It sounds too new and doesn't fit the sound of the station.
But I could totally see in a few years adding Gotye.

Also side note, I've seen that pretty much every iHeart Classic Hits station is still playing 60s songs like Build Me Up Buttercup and Brown Eyed Girl, in addition to some 90s tracks from like Sheryl Crow and Ace of Base.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:16 am

Another rant about Viva La Vida.
Why do we get that instead of The Motown Song by Rod Stewart, from 1991?

Music is my life.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:50 pm

The Motown Song would be perfect on WOMC. So many other stations in other big cities will tend to play songs about their city, sometimes at a certain period of time, like every day at noon.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:39 pm

The Motown Song was part of WOMC’s playlist for several years, probably ending when Entercom took over (2017?).

Listening to WOMC is like a visit to Kohl’s (yawn). They’re about as boring as you can get in terms of ridiculously small library and blah hosts. But they get good ratings, so who am I to ridicule them?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:40 pm

BKRPDM wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:39 pm
The Motown Song was part of WOMC’s playlist for several years, probably ending when Entercom took over (2017?).

Listening to WOMC is like a visit to Kohl’s (yawn). They’re about as boring as you can get in terms of ridiculously small library and blah hosts. But they get good ratings, so who am I to ridicule them?
Kohls kicks their ass.

Agree about the phone it in jocks. Zero passion. And how anyone can listen to the shrew in middays is beyond me.

And Coldplay blows.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:02 pm

Jimmy Eat World, Coldplay, U2...well I guess it is time to add 104.3 as a preset then.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:03 pm

Why are they not playing things like Only Wanna Be With You by Hootie and the Blowfish or Walkin on the Sun by Smash Mouth.
Or even Believe by Cher, and Man! I Feel Like a Woman by Shania

Music is my life.

thatonedude

WOMC playing 2000s songs

Post by thatonedude » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:11 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:Why are they not playing things like Only Wanna Be With You by Hootie and the Blowfish or Walkin on the Sun by Smash Mouth.
They’ve played those quite a bit I think.

I’ll tolerate Shania. If they play “Believe”, I’m out. Could never stand that song.

The Motown Song is damn good…one of Rod’s best. Maybe they could spin that again for once instead of Maggie May for the 5000th fucking time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:14 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:11 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:Why are they not playing things like Only Wanna Be With You by Hootie and the Blowfish or Walkin on the Sun by Smash Mouth.
They’ve played those quite a bit I think.

I’ll tolerate Shania. If they play “Believe”, I’m out. Could never stand that song.

The Motown Song is damn good…one of Rod’s best. Maybe they could spin that again for once instead of Maggie May for the 5000th fucking time.

What were they supposed to do, sit around and wait for you? Well, they can’t do that….

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:22 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:02 pm
Jimmy Eat World, Coldplay, U2...well I guess it is time to add 104.3 as a preset then.
Hard pass.

If you want a good post 70's Rod 'Oh Wow" song try 'Infatuation" or I dare them to play 'Passion'.

Someone said 'Motown Song' is Rod's BEST??? :lol It's cheesy Af sorry dude. Nothing personal, I have cheese on my playlist too, we all do.
WOMC DID play it ad nauseam for a while.

Sounds like y'all are looking for a gold based AC or AC based classic hits. That coulda, and shoulda, been The Breeze, but it ain't 'OMC.
And With Roberts, who wants to be CSX, running it, that ain't happening. And as somebody pointed out upthread, they are in a PPM sweet spot at the moment. So what you hear is what you're getting.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:06 am

Tim Roberts and / or Audacy's crack engineering team finally got off their asses and fixed 99.5's pathetic sounding audio.

Station sounds surprisingly good aurally right now.

thatonedude

WOMC playing 2000s songs

Post by thatonedude » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:36 am

armchair pd wrote:
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:02 pm
Hard pass.

If you want a good post 70's Rod 'Oh Wow" song try 'Infatuation" or I dare them to play 'Passion'.

Someone said 'Motown Song' is Rod's BEST??? :lol It's cheesy Af sorry dude. Nothing personal, I have cheese on my playlist too, we all do.
WOMC DID play it ad nauseam for a while.

Sounds like y'all are looking for a gold based AC or AC based classic hits. That coulda, and shoulda, been The Breeze, but it ain't 'OMC.
And With Roberts, who wants to be CSX, running it, that ain't happening. And as somebody pointed out upthread, they are in a PPM sweet spot at the moment. So what you hear is what you're getting.
Should’ve clarified. I meant ‘90s Rod at least.

If you want me to give you his actual best, go back to when he did stuff with Jeff Beck, Faces, etc.

But no radio station would be caught dead playing “I Ain’t Superstitious”. Alas…

take this job and shove it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic