Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC playing 2000s songs

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
ral315

Re: WOMC playing 2000s songs

Post by ral315 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:36 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:40 pm
And we need to get some modern Elton John on there.
"Something About The Way You Look Tonight" from 1997 is the highest selling single of all time in both the US and UK.
I know this comment's a few months old, but Something About The Way You Look Tonight didn't chart #1 because it was Elton John's best or even most-popular song. It charted because it was a double-A side with "Candle In the Wind 1997", and after Princess Diana's death, that single sold EVERYWHERE. As a 7-year-old, I begged my mother to buy it from a pharmacy check-out line (which she did) because I was devastated about the idea of this princess dying, and wanted to have it.

Depending on how you count sales pre-Billboard, Candle 1997/SITWYLT are either the highest-selling single(s) in history, or second behind Bing Crosby's "White Christmas". But according to this forum post I found, Something in the Way You Look Tonight was only #39 in Billboard's 1998 Year-End Airplay Chart (and was #95 in 1997). That would seem to indicate that the song, although one I personally enjoy, is not one that had as much of a long-lasting effect as its physical sales would indicate. Maybe a good fit for WOMC's playlist, but it's not like it's a major oversight to leave it off, either.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:25 pm

The logistics of how Billboard categorized double singles back in the day, or a "double-A side" in 1997, are always fascinating to me. That's just it, though... the charts have always been decided by whatever rules Billboard decides to put in place at the time.

In 1998 they changed the longstanding rule and allowed a song to appear on the Hot 100 even if it had not officially been released as a single, for instance. This led to "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies immediately being eligible, deep into its popularity. It was #1 for one week. Think about how long it might have been at #1 otherwise.

So, yeah, I'm a nerd who loves looking at and comparing chart positions, but in the end I don't know how much you can really prove with the Billboard chart when it comes to radio airplay through the years.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:49 am

BFSEsq wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:25 pm
The logistics of how Billboard categorized double singles back in the day, or a "double-A side" in 1997, are always fascinating to me. That's just it, though... the charts have always been decided by whatever rules Billboard decides to put in place at the time.

In 1998 they changed the longstanding rule and allowed a song to appear on the Hot 100 even if it had not officially been released as a single, for instance. This led to "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies immediately being eligible, deep into its popularity. It was #1 for one week. Think about how long it might have been at #1 otherwise.

So, yeah, I'm a nerd who loves looking at and comparing chart positions, but in the end I don't know how much you can really prove with the Billboard chart when it comes to radio airplay through the years.
Wait, it wasn't released as a single??

EDIT: I don't know what you're talking about. Wikipedia says it was the first single released off the album.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:36 pm

Forget the 2000s.
Let's talk about the awesome 60s music they've been playing all week for Dream Cruise.
I haven't listened to the radio this music in quite a while.

Music is my life.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:55 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:36 pm
Forget the 2000s.
Let's talk about the awesome 60s music they've been playing all week for Dream Cruise.
I haven't listened to the radio this music in quite a while.
What were some of the songs they played?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic