Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nielesn Audio Ratings for May

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Marcus

Nielesn Audio Ratings for May

Post by Marcus » Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm

Detroit is market #13. Also check out some of the other markets. Older music is a winner everywhere I checked. Formats like Classic Rock, Classic Hits, and Adult Hits will usually show up near the top everywhere. So how is it doing in Detroit? WOMC is in first place, WCSX is in fifth, and on top of that WLLZ/106.7 FM is up to a 3.0 rating.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb_menu_001

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Nielesn Audio Ratings for May

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 18, 2022 1:22 pm

When including live streaming audio, 97.1 is tied for #1 with WOMC.

Looks like WJLB had an incredible book and WDVD had another really lousy book.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed May 18, 2022 2:57 pm

And yet there's Alt 98-7 with a stagnant 2.1 and they refuse to give up on it.
Soft AC or rhythmic AC, pick one. Alt is dead!

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed May 18, 2022 3:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:22 pm
When including live streaming audio, 97.1 is tied for #1 with WOMC.
After looking at the other top 30 markets, I can only find WBZ-FM in Boston as the only sports station with a higher rating. It is surprising to find some supposedly great sports towns that don’t have highly rated sports talk stations. Maybe they are too busy watching good teams perform instead of listening to the masses bitch about bad teams?

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed May 18, 2022 3:30 pm

Marcus wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm
Detroit is market #13. Also check out some of the other markets. Older music is a winner everywhere I checked. Formats like Classic Rock, Classic Hits, and Adult Hits will usually show up near the top everywhere. So how is it doing in Detroit? WOMC is in first place, WCSX is in fifth, and on top of that WLLZ/106.7 FM is up to a 3.0 rating.

It won’t be too long until Phoenix passes Detroit for 13th largest. Motown should hold on to 14 for a good while as Minny/St Paul is 800,000 less than our market. Does anyone know what our peak position was? I would guess maybe 7th.

edj

Post by edj » Wed May 18, 2022 7:30 pm

Probably higher. Didn’t TV peak 5 or so?

WDFN is still listed as a sports station! BIN is that irrelevant.

MichiganEx-Pat

Post by MichiganEx-Pat » Wed May 18, 2022 9:36 pm

Majik wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:30 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm

It won’t be too long until Phoenix passes Detroit for 13th largest. Motown should hold on to 14 for a good while as Minny/St Paul is 800,000 less than our market. Does anyone know what our peak position was? I would guess maybe 7th.
The peak was #5, surpassed by San Francisco sometime in the late 70s, and remained #6 until some point in the 90s.

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Sat May 21, 2022 4:15 pm

WDVD is looking at some layoffs if those numbers don't improve soon. Something tells me Blaine Fowler is making more than what Broadway was getting for being on 93.1.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon May 23, 2022 9:45 am

RadioRat wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:15 pm
WDVD is looking at some layoffs if those numbers don't improve soon. Something tells me Blaine Fowler is making more than what Broadway was getting for being on 93.1.
Not sure what anybody's salary has to do with anything but whatevs.

Stations don't generally knee jerk and start blowing people out after a rough couple months but if it comes to that the PD is likely history. He tanked what was left of DRQ and DVD is at it's lowest share ever. I don't think they even got this low when Covid first hit and every station took a hit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 24, 2022 7:26 am

The last time WDVD was this low is pre-PPM when sister station 93.1 was doing milquetoast CHR. I'm talking 2003 or thereabouts.

96.3 needs to step up its game in afternoons and evenings and needs to stop being a knock off of Mojo's show in mornings. Dave Fuller should be moved to middays.

93.1 doesn't sound bad at all right now. 96.3 sounds stale.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue May 24, 2022 11:05 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:26 am
The last time WDVD was this low is pre-PPM when sister station 93.1 was doing milquetoast CHR. I'm talking 2003 or thereabouts.

96.3 needs to step up its game in afternoons and evenings and needs to stop being a knock off of Mojo's show in mornings. Dave Fuller should be moved to middays.

I was there in 2003, and a lot of the problem was too much interference from upper management. I never liked the whole "DVD" branding at all. What does it mean anyway? Disney would have been better off retooling "The Planet" into whatever the hell they wanted it to be. Planet was a great name... I never understood why you would name an FM station after a video disc, but what do I know? Supposedly, the original thought was to call 96.3 "Detroit's Variety" but that idea was shelved by one of the many decision makers.

One day, WDVD's PD disappeared. Vanished, not a word, no explanation, didn't leave a note, nothing. No idea what happened to him, or where he went, but he never returned to the Fisher Building. A high profile PD friend of mine eventually applied for the job. When he got out of the meeting, he met me in the bar downstairs. He said he wouldn't take the gig even if they offered it to him. I asked why not? "Too many chef's" is what he said. Another well known rock radio PD, Greg Ausham, got the job. He didn't stay long. While I liked the late Mike Fezzey, I always thought 96.3 could've been something better. They're still using the same bland, uninspiring logo they used when the station launched. Two owners later, and nobody's fixed that. At least "Planet" and "Johnny in the Morning" perfect or not, were known, memorable brands.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue May 24, 2022 11:53 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:05 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I was there in 2003, and a lot of the problem was too much interference from upper management. I never liked the whole "DVD" branding at all. What does it mean anyway? Disney would have been better off retooling "The Planet" into whatever the hell they wanted it to be. Planet was a great name... I never understood why you would name an FM station after a video disc, but what do I know? Supposedly, the original thought was to call 96.3 "Detroit's Variety" but that idea was shelved by one of the many decision makers.

One day, WDVD's PD disappeared. Vanished, not a word, no explanation, didn't leave a note, nothing. No idea what happened to him, or where he went, but he never returned to the Fisher Building. A high profile PD friend of mine eventually applied for the job. When he got out of the meeting, he met me in the bar downstairs. He said he wouldn't take the gig even if they offered it to him. I asked why not? "Too many chef's" is what he said. Another well known rock radio PD, Greg Ausham, got the job. He didn't stay long. While I liked the late Mike Fezzey, I always thought 96.3 could've been something better. They're still using the same bland, uninspiring logo they used when the station launched. Two owners later, and nobody's fixed that. At least "Planet" and "Johnny in the Morning" perfect or not, were known, memorable brands.
Very interesting! Also very true in regards to the name and logo. THIS STATION NEEDS A REBRANDING BAAAAAADLY!
96.3 MY FM, Today's 96.3, Star 96.3.... SOMETHING.... I always HATED the name! At least change the damn logo.....

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:21 pm

why is WFDF listed twice?

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue May 24, 2022 1:53 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:05 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

Are they still doing that pathetic “Deal Breakers” bit”? It obviously is staged. The actors don’t even sound like they’re from Michigan. And the dialogue is so odd-sounding, I often wonder if the pre-recorded feeds are sent to WDVD, and Blaine adds his script afterwards.

And are they still doing one song from 80s/early 90s, among all the other much newer music? Not sure that Sia, Halsey, Bieber, Dua Lipa sounds good next to Whitney Houston. Just weird, IMO.

Yes, “DVD” - the name sounds like 2000. Ironically, I enjoyed “Johnny In The Morning,” with Johnny, Hadji, Zito, Katherine Leslie.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 24, 2022 3:19 pm

DVD = Detroit's Venereal Disease. :lol

Once upon a time, the station's positioner was Detroit's Best Variety. That statement soon after was changed to Today's Best Variety.

Some consulting goon must've thought inclusion of "Detroit" in the positioner was a turn off to the lilly white suburbanites the station was targeting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic