Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Tim Pamplin

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Lickalime

Tim Pamplin

Post by Lickalime » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:46 pm

Where has Tim Pamplin been? Maybe I’m missing something and I’m falling asleep before night cam, but I don’t recall hearing him doing stories lately.

Editorcj

Re: Tim Pamplin

Post by Editorcj » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:24 pm

I think he might be working morning shift.

deadend

Post by deadend » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:07 pm

Maybe his car broke down and his camera battery died

J-Ten

Post by J-Ten » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:26 am

Has anyone ever seen his face?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:58 am

Plenty of times.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 pm

J-Ten wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:26 am
Has anyone ever seen his face?
A really big (as in tall and well built) older British guy.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:12 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 pm
He's British, eh?
I'm certainly no linguistics expert. Just sounded more Crocodile Dundee than Prince Charles to me.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 am

Round Six wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:12 am
Rate This wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 pm
He's British, eh?
I'm certainly no linguistics expert. Just sounded more Crocodile Dundee than Prince Charles to me.
He’s from London.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am

In my opinion, he's a first rate guy. He takes his assignments seriously to the point of getting arrested.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:36 pm

I always liked the guy. He does a bit, which is clearly engineered for ratings. Like, he must have come to them all those years ago with the whole pitch of, "look, this is what I do. You don't see my face, ever. It adds intrigue and action, and I'm cheaper because I'm my own camera! And who can resist this accent?"

The heads at WDIV were like, "cheaper, you say?" Lol. Maybe it was several of those factors but I'd imagine cheaper never hurt. And this is before it became commonplace for everyone to be their own multimedia reporter. Pamplin was kind of ahead of the curve. Maybe he just fell into that, but it worked. And hey, he's so damn good. I do think he's a good reporter.

My wife met him once about a decade ago when he tweeted asking where they should go deliver a bunch of free paczki on Paczki Day (well, that evening) and my wife was one of the (honestly, not a ton) of replies. She worked an overnight ER shift at Providence (now Ascension Southfield) on 8 Mile Rd and I think that seemed like good bait. I mean, I'm being cynical but everyone wins there. He looks good, they look good. She thought he was a pretty cool guy. Very nice, a lot of fun. She enjoyed seeing him do literally multiple takes of the "unveiling," them having to be surprised at him coming around the corner each time. Gotta get it right for TV!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:44 pm

BFSEsq wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:36 pm
I always liked the guy. He does a bit, which is clearly engineered for ratings. Like, he must have come to them all those years ago with the whole pitch of, "look, this is what I do. You don't see my face, ever. It adds intrigue and action, and I'm cheaper because I'm my own camera! And who can resist this accent?"

The heads at WDIV were like, "cheaper, you say?" Lol. Maybe it was several of those factors but I'd imagine cheaper never hurt. And this is before it became commonplace for everyone to be their own multimedia reporter. Pamplin was kind of ahead of the curve. Maybe he just fell into that, but it worked. And hey, he's so damn good. I do think he's a good reporter.

My wife met him once about a decade ago when he tweeted asking where they should go deliver a bunch of free paczki on Paczki Day (well, that evening) and my wife was one of the (honestly, not a ton) of replies. She worked an overnight ER shift at Providence (now Ascension Southfield) on 8 Mile Rd and I think that seemed like good bait. I mean, I'm being cynical but everyone wins there. He looks good, they look good. She thought he was a pretty cool guy. Very nice, a lot of fun. She enjoyed seeing him do literally multiple takes of the "unveiling," them having to be surprised at him coming around the corner each time. Gotta get it right for TV!
If I remember the story correctly he came to them with the idea to do reports like that. The overhyped sounding nature of it which he isn’t as fond of but has to do was on 4’s management.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:12 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:44 pm
If I remember the story correctly he came to them with the idea to do reports like that. The overhyped sounding nature of it which he isn’t as fond of but has to do was on 4’s management.
Even better, then. Yeah, I'd believe that. He seems pretty good at his job.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:43 pm

BFSEsq wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:12 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:44 pm
Even better, then. Yeah, I'd believe that. He seems pretty good at his job.
Just don’t be the intern that gets handed a story and told to go find Tim and have that run in be when he just walked in the door. He’s a big dude and is like 6’5 or something… not a pretty thing to be on the receiving end of. Nowadays I could give it back to him. Not 10 years ago.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:48 pm

He could be looking at a very sweet buyout deal along with several others at 4.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic