Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: WLLZ

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:22 am

They dropped down to a 2.6 share.

Because on what planet do you play the Doors and follow it up with Evanescence and think the demographic for each song really wants to hear the other

Music is my life.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:04 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:22 am

Because on what planet do you play the Doors and follow it up with Evanescence and think the demographic for each song really wants to hear the other
Fuck WLLZ and every decision making person there.

Play kick ass rock and roll tunes from the 80's and 90's with a few early 2000's thrown in for good measure. Its not that hard.
Thats 25 years to choose from. Is their prevailing "wisdom" that there isnt enough good material from that range?
Bullshit.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:31 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:

I agree, the Doors, into Evanescence, is a trainwreck segue, however, both could probably be played on the same station if they were "dayparted" or more carefully placed. (even though I don't care for Evanescence personally)

You may have skipped over the WLLZ post where Mega shared a couple airchecks, but Helix, and John Waite were both played during Doug's evening shift. By today's standards, that's quite a contrast. However, as Mega pointed out, the majority of the tunes played seemed to be in the 82-83 timeframe, with a few glaring exceptions. WLLZ, during it's early years, played a lot of current and new music. It's my belief that they should probably start doing that today too. If you're going to be a flanker, you may as well flank WRIF too.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:31 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:46 am
Just a job to do is actually my favorite Genesis song, Silver Rainbow I don't remember. I know WCSX has played Just a job to do or they used to.
Last time I heard that song, I was watching Bruiser Bedlam wrestling on WUPW! :lol:

It was their opening theme ... :D

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:38 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:

I change the station as quick as I can when the doors come on and Evanescence, ugh that women's voice is horrible.

hmtb44

Post by hmtb44 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:51 pm

WLLZ contest page is currently not showing any concert giveaway... I wonder if no one is coming that fits the format.... or is something else going on

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:06 pm

I just added an antenna for my home stereo, it's just sitting in the yard.
I was stunned to hear WLLZ full quieting, I really shouldn't get it at all.
Comparing it to anything in the Lansing/Jackson market it is miles above.
I wish we had better radio out here, I'm jealous of what you still have in the D.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:44 pm

The Doors segued into Nickelback earlier 🤣

Music is my life.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:22 pm

HD74 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:06 pm
I just added an antenna for my home stereo, it's just sitting in the yard.
I was stunned to hear WLLZ full quieting, I really shouldn't get it at all.
Comparing it to anything in the Lansing/Jackson market it is miles above.
I wish we had better radio out here, I'm jealous of what you still have in the D.
Idk... Cruisin 92.9 is a must listen when I'm out that way.

Also the Doors into either Evanescence or Nickelback is wrong. If they were 106.7 Jack FM it would fly, but otherwise... ouch.

take this job and shove it

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:01 pm

106.7 Fake Wheels is participating in a national cash contest at the moment.

I'm unaware of any significant upcoming rock concerts in the near future.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:00 pm

Cruising 92.9 is OK. They have a limited playlist, if you hear it in the morning you’ll here it in the afternoon next day. They still beat the pants off 94.9 WMMQ who has half the playlist. I can no longer stand take the money and run, which is apparently the only song Steve Miller ever did. Trust me, if wheels is the worst station you have you really should consider yourselves lucky.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:30 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:31 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:

I agree, the Doors, into Evanescence, is a trainwreck segue, however, both could probably be played on the same station if they were "dayparted" or more carefully placed. (even though I don't care for Evanescence personally)

You may have skipped over the WLLZ post where Mega shared a couple airchecks, but Helix, and John Waite were both played during Doug's evening shift. By today's standards, that's quite a contrast. However, as Mega pointed out, the majority of the tunes played seemed to be in the 82-83 timeframe, with a few glaring exceptions. WLLZ, during it's early years, played a lot of current and new music. It's my belief that they should probably start doing that today too. If you're going to be a flanker, you may as well flank WRIF too.
I would also like to add that the air checks I have from a couple of years prior to that '84 tape is that, in 82 and 83, they were VERY recurrent and gold leaning. By 84 they were much more current. I mean, they did back to back Beatles songs in an early 83 air check. Were the Beatles played by the mid 80s on AOR anymore?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:31 pm

-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:56 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:30 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
stopnswop2 wrote:

I would also like to add that the air checks I have from a couple of years prior to that '84 tape is that, in 82 and 83, they were VERY recurrent and gold leaning. By 84 they were much more current. I mean, they did back to back Beatles songs in an early 83 air check. Were the Beatles played by the mid 80s on AOR anymore?
For the most part, yes, but there were exceptions. The Beatles really didn't disappear until corporate playlists killed off the AOR format, post 1996.

As to your observation about WLLZ leaning more gold in 82-83, that was a transitional period for rock music in general. 1980-81 were really lacking in "new product" and in 82 is when that started to change, but the new music had a much different style. WLLZ, WRIF, and WABX would make adjustments depending on ratings, who was PD, and who was consulting.

At WIOT, we were still playing the Beatles in 1986-87. We also had the syndicated "Breakfast with the Beatles" followed by "The Jazz Brunch" on Sunday mornings. In Orlando, at WHTQ, our "good PD" managed to get the Beatles and a lot of older, tired stuff removed, only to have his replacement put it all back in, unfortunately.
Last edited by Colonel Flagg on Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:03 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:56 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:30 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
stopnswop2 wrote:

For the most part, yes, but there were exceptions. The Beatles really didn't disappear until corporate playlists killed off the AOR format, post 1996.

At WIOT, we were still playing the Beatles in 1986-87. We also had the syndicated "Breakfast with the Beatles" followed by "The Jazz Brunch" on Sunday mornings. In Orlando, at WHTQ, our "good PD" managed to get the Beatles and a lot of older, tired stuff removed, only to have his replacement put it all back in, unfortunately.
I could swear I had a tape of a break from Steve Kostan, playing a couple Beatles songs in 1990.

The thing is, I could see playing post Sgt. Pepper Beatles, but they were playing moptop Beatles.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic